PDA

View Full Version : 1978 Big Block 18' 2+3 with 330 Merc...help with price?

Bob@BoondocksMarine
09-21-2007, 01:37 PM
I've recently taken a 1978 18' 2+3 in on trade. It has [and came from the
factory with] a GM 454 and a Merc 330 TRS drive. The engine was beefed
up to 500+ HP by Jomar [Troy/Detroit area] and is now 468 cu. in.
The boat is in very good condition and was in the hands of it's previous
owner for 10-12 years. The serial # on the hull is DMR 186030178.
It accellerates amazingly and is limited [wisely] to about 80 MPH by the prop
choice. Any faster and it gets "hairy' with chine walk, etc.
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what price we should be listing it for
given recent sales of similar craft?
I've added a few photos to help out....Bob

Kirbyvv
09-22-2007, 11:11 AM
I was thinking ask $15K or so, but in the end probably be closer to Formula Jr's 13K or Buizilla's 14K. we never get back even close to what we have in them.

Bill Barter
10-02-2007, 08:06 AM
is it sold and what did you get for it.

boxy
10-02-2007, 08:34 AM
It hasn't sold yet, but it is advertised locally.....

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-1978-DONZI-18FT-W0QQAdIdZ23605053

Bill Barter
10-03-2007, 04:24 PM
thanks for the reply. The seller asked the donzi "experts" for a fair asking price and I guess he didn't like the responce which was half of his current asking. Hmmm good luck to him.
::bonk:

justleft
10-03-2007, 05:21 PM
"All numbers match" ?

I was not aware that engine, trany, outdrive serial numbers
are linked with the BIN. Maybe in the bill of sale or other docs.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

But I can change the serial numbers of engine/trany/drive in my registration.

IMHO, he should picture of ext steering (a great transom will alway make a boat
guy hot) and any doc proving "All numbers match"

Yea the price seem high.

Scott Pearson
10-03-2007, 07:58 PM
Ok....I want $200,000.00 for my Bench Seat Hornet. Its 1 of 4 made. How long do you think I will need to hold my breath???:propeller: Now....where did I leave my Bong?????

justleft
10-03-2007, 08:33 PM
Thanks Madpoodle, I did not know that.

Do you know what years Donzi did the foil sticker ?

gold-n-rod
10-03-2007, 08:57 PM
thanks for the reply. The seller asked the donzi "experts" for a fair asking price and I guess he didn't like the responce which was half of his current asking. Hmmm good luck to him.
::bonk:

And no "thank you" for the answers, either! :bonk: :(

Bill Barter
10-03-2007, 10:13 PM
you aint going to get a thank you! So long as we all agree that the guy is asking too much for the boat ...he will be insulted.... my guess he is not an Donzi guy and was looking at it with dollars in is eyes and paid too much for it.

its I nice 18 but 27K...it's not that special.... what does a new 18 with a big block cost?

Lenny
10-03-2007, 10:32 PM
That is a 14K boat on a GOOD day. There are too many mid/late 90's boats available with all the goodies 'n stuff for FAR less $$,$$$.00 and "probably" less effort in the long run.

He will have to find another "special person" that wants this soooo bad, that money is no object. There are lots of those types on this planet, millions actually, but do they want a "boat" at 18'... I don't think so. :rolleyes:

Bill Barter
10-03-2007, 10:55 PM
Is it an 18 or 22 that is your a baby? I have a 16 but and interested in a resonably fast 18..
what do you think is a fair price for my 1976 16. its clean has a 351 penta 280 low hours on it. its Yellow sides with tangarine stript on deck. it comes with original Donzi trailer, and good interior... I bought ot from a guy that whiped it with adiaper and used it i fresh water... the boat had less than 300hours. 351 has about 50 hrs, 15 hours in salt water...always flushed and wahshed after salt exposure. it looks like a 10 year old boat and its turn key.. without special atention to props etc is will hit 50 MPH at 5000RPM. thanks

chappy
10-04-2007, 08:01 AM
you aint going to get a thank you! So long as we all agree that the guy is asking too much for the boat ...he will be insulted.... my guess he is not an Donzi guy and was looking at it with dollars in is eyes and paid too much for it.
its I nice 18 but 27K...it's not that special.... what does a new 18 with a big block cost?

He didn't pay anything for it, he took it on trade for a bigger Fountain. Also, 18's don't come from the factory with big blocks anymore.

Rich

Lenny
10-05-2007, 01:21 AM
LEN, WHAT BOAT DO YOU HAVE?

X-18 and three "others" that are in varied stages of disarray. :D

Bill Barter
10-05-2007, 11:02 AM
len,

are all your boats Donzis? I'll also ask again...what do you thin is a fair asking price for my 16 as described in the previous post...thanks

Lenny
10-05-2007, 11:17 AM
what do you thin is a fair asking price for my 16 as described in the previous post...thanks

Post a few pics of it. Or direct us to a place that has pics of it.

Questions I would ask;

Does it have all original Gel? No deck soft spots? Good compression? Tilt work on the drive? Gas tank no "leaky" ? , stringers solid? , all original hardware and design still in tact? Interior still in tact? Spider cracks or crazing anywhere? Gelcoat (if original) in good condition or faded into oblivion? is the dash original or have there been a plethora of "new" guages installed.

Some questions like that.

Tim Morris
10-05-2007, 12:11 PM
Questions I would ask;
Does it have all original Gel? No deck soft spots? Good compression? Tilt work on the drive? Gas tank no "leaky" ? , stringers solid? , all original hardware and design still in tact? Interior still in tact? Spider cracks or crazing anywhere? Gelcoat (if original) in good condition or faded into oblivion? is the dash original or have there been a plethora of "new" guages installed.
Some questions like that.

I would pay this man (Lenny) to attend my next spurious Donzi impulse buy.
He's hiding in the bush. Betcha he's got 50 more questions if/when he was
satisfied with the answer to those few he mentioned.

Lenny
10-06-2007, 01:07 AM

:D

Thanks Tim

CHACHI
10-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Tim, are you looking for something to stuff into that new garage?
Ken