PDA

View Full Version : 22 Classic Latham Steering

VetteLT193
09-20-2007, 05:21 PM
My brother still has no internet so he called and asked me to post:

His 22 classic has new Latham external steering. The tank, according to the instructions, needs to be mounted above the power steering tank because it says it is gravity fed. The mechanic installing says he can't mount it high enough in the engine compartment.

Where have others mounted the tank? Any help is welcome, it's the last thing that needs to be installed before he gets the boat back with the new engine.

Jamesbon
09-20-2007, 07:36 PM
I heard the same thing about the tank being mounted high enough to "gravity feed."

I'm in the same boat as your bro...

What engine does he have?

What's the scoop fellas?

Mr X
09-20-2007, 07:56 PM
I installed a full twin ram Latham system on my latest project, an X-18.
I had the same problem.... I discovered that you do not need the tank at all IF you bleed the entire system 3-4 times to let the air out completely.
The ATF will not expand or contract enough to cause any overflow or low level problems. Only air in the system will give you a problem.
This is what I did and it has not caused me any problem what so ever.

VetteLT193
09-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Thanks Mr. X

My brother's boat has a 454 (.060 over), 500HP.

Mr X
09-21-2007, 11:50 AM
Mine does NOT do that.
Maybe my "pump" is bigger than yours :wink::wink:

VetteLT193
09-21-2007, 02:44 PM
My brother has single ram, make any difference?

BigGrizzly
09-21-2007, 04:23 PM
Mine chatters but turned out to be the belt. I did put a small one on mine, like a small over flow, still chatters at full lock then you see black dust on the pully. At least this is my situation.

gcarter
09-21-2007, 05:35 PM
I'm gonna beg to differ..
Without the reservoir, you will find, mainly during slow speed rapid movement of the steering wheel such as when docking, manuvering around the marina and any other time you have the wheel fairly far over, that you will feel a chatter in the wheel, and the steering effort will increase. Your pump is cavitating. Why? Not sure, but IMO the oil cannot flow back to the pump through the cylinders and cooler fast enough to keep the reservoir full as it is pushed out the other side to extend the opposite ram...
At speed mine never does this, as the wheel movement is minimal..
Perhaps a small pressurized reservoir,similar to the one I just removed from the Testa Rossa, would work since it could be located at a lower level.

MDonziM
09-22-2007, 08:06 PM
I had a mayfair dual setup installed this spring with the res mounted on the transom with just enough room to fill and the system works fine. In my opin transom reinforsement at the ram mounts is a must.