PDA

View Full Version : Need gell coat help

ghiafreak62
09-19-2007, 11:20 PM
I'm restoring a 93 c22 stringers, transom, int, motor, drive, the boat came from s texas gell coat on the deck was shiny but had a small amout of chalking, buffed deck with a 3m product can get the number tomorrow, deck looks good, sides have no chalking but is yellowing about 4 inches below the rub rail, buffed a small area didn't seem to take it out, what do i need to do to remove the yellow? any help would be great.

Lenny
09-20-2007, 01:14 AM
3M "Finese-it" and the polishing (step two) product to accompany it... :)

VetteLT193
09-20-2007, 06:57 AM
FSR may do it too, with no rubbing. It's a blue gel you can get from just about any marine store.

RedDog
09-20-2007, 07:12 AM
Meguire's Hot Rims - http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=28695&highlight=hot+spray

mrfixxall
09-20-2007, 09:36 AM
Get yourself a 8 x 24 bathtub and fill it with bleach and lower your boat in it:biggrin:

you can try this stuff,ive used it on motor homes when they sit and get all the tree sap on them mineral deposits this stuff is the **** it will make it white,,call them and ask for a sample..

http://www.unitedlabsinc.com/usa/catalog/shopexd.asp?id=865

BigGrizzly
09-20-2007, 09:58 AM
#M makes a hull cleaner that works, also there is a product callwd Wink at WAL-MART in the cleaner section.

ghiafreak62
09-20-2007, 10:00 PM
My gell coat I would think that it is turning yellow from the sun, would bleach help that?

mrfixxall
09-20-2007, 11:59 PM
My gell coat I would think that it is turning yellow from the sun, would bleach help that?

its turning yellow from the minerals in the water,,do you boat around rocky areas..ive seen iron deposits make a white boat turn yellow,may want to try some muratic acid..

o ic you from aklahoma? isnt everything red their :) like new mx?

marineclean
09-21-2007, 12:04 AM

NO BLEACH......

I have found the best way to get rid of yellowing is wetsanding. They're a couple of different products out there that will help including my Oxidation remover, but you have to stay on top of it for lasting results. I think Jamie @ Lakeside has also had great results with Interlux, but you will need to get in touch with him on the longevity. Wetsanding will ensure that you remove the problem and start with a fresh surface. If you decide to wetsand let me know and I can assist.

Donnie

ghiafreak62
09-21-2007, 06:06 AM
its turning yellow from the minerals in the water,,do you boat around rocky areas..ive seen iron deposits make a white boat turn yellow,may want to try some muratic acid..
o ic you from aklahoma? isnt everything red their :) like new mx?

I haven't been able to use it yet in okla because of the transom and stringers, it looks like it has set for a few years, it came from s texas, I'm in ne okla no red dirt here, thats on west and south

margo
09-21-2007, 09:01 PM
Just purchased a 86 minx red and white gelcoat was in bad shape real chalky....Don,t think the boat was ever waxed been wet sanding with 1000 for a week..Just started buffing with 3m finessit comeing out like new lots of hard work but worth it...Will try to send some pics....Joe

marineclean
09-21-2007, 10:48 PM
Just purchased a 86 minx red and white gelcoat was in bad shape real chalky....Don,t think the boat was ever waxed been wet sanding with 1000 for a week..Just started buffing with 3m finessit comeing out like new lots of hard work but worth it...Will try to send some pics....Joe

Cool Joe!

Lots of work, but well worth the end result. Get in touch with Jamie @ Lakeside for the final coat of protection.

Donnie