PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Advice on Selling my 22 Classic

p729lws
09-18-2007, 11:53 AM
:(:(:( Unfortunately keeping it is not an option. I'm buying another boat and I don't have room or $$$ to keep both. I'm looking for input on the easiest and most profitable way to go. The new boat needs a motor and I'd prefer to keep the motor from the Donzi but selling the Donzi complete and buying a new motor is an option. If I do pull the motor I'm thinking it may be best to part out the rest of the components and sell the hull w/ the trailer. I'd also like some input on pricing so it moves relatively quick.

So here's what I have in it: 1986 22' Classic which I paid $13,000 for a couple years ago. It came w/ a 454 black Merc motor w/ 500 EFI style intake, dry Gil exhaust and Alpha drive. The interior, gages and throttle are in average to good condition for the age of the boat. The hull sides and deck strip were redone w/ Imron a few years before. The trailer is dual axel galvanized.

The winter before last I spent $13,000 on a new Bravo upper, new IMCO 2" shorty, new IMCO dual ram steering. This price included replacing / beefing the stringers that were rotted. The transom was found to be dry.

This past winter I spent $8,500 with Precision Marine doing complete rebuild on the motor w/ a few upgrades on the cam and valve train. The dyno was 485 HP and 515 Ft Lbs. With a new Fusion prop from Big Grizz the best speed to date has been 78 MPH GPS. I also had new bunks put on the trailer and wheel bearings redone.

On the schedule for this winter was going to be new interior and gages. I also wanted to address the fiberglass flaws in the corners of the cockpit that all the 22's of this era have due to the poor support between the hull and cockpit.

So I'm in it for about for about $35K and I know not to expect to get that out of it. I expect it would be hard to sell complete because still needs a little work to have if fully restored and the dry exhaust and/or EFI system are a turn off for some buyers.

So what’s everyones opinion? Should I try to sell it complete for $20K? Pull the motor and try to get $15K? Part everything out on ebay? Put the complete boat on Ebay and see if I can get more than $20K?

Here are a few links w/ photos...
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48290
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44712
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48864

I'll post a photo of the new ride. It's not a Donzi but maybe you guys will let me keep hanging out here anyways.

Thanks,
Dan

p729lws
09-18-2007, 12:00 PM
The new ride...

VetteLT193
09-18-2007, 12:28 PM
My brother has an '87 for sale, sister boat to yours and in Pcola as well.

As far as the overall value, the price of the boat as is should be over 20k but it depends on the buyer. It also depends on how good the interior looks now (pics?)

For comparison, My brother is asking mid 20's for his boat. Bravo 1, 0 hour 454 / 500HP, brand new external steering, CMI exhaust, Dominator Carb, Interior was totally redone a few years ago including the dash, seats, etc. and the whole boat was done over in general at the same time.

I think selling the boat with a stock 454 may yield you the best return, assuming your engine build is done 'right' and the new boat has no power. Does your engine have 2 bolt mains? My bro's factory engine did, he upgraded to a 4 bolt main block, dumped the original block and drive all together.

You should be able to put a basic 454 in the boat for under 5k (if you shop you can pick one up for far less, one just went on ebay for 2500), and sell the boat easily in the mid teens. I think a bare hull would sell for hardly anything. All the parts probably nut much either. I posted my brother's old set of Gil dry exhaust pipes and never even got a reply.

I hope all that info helps:eek!:

blackhawk
09-18-2007, 12:44 PM
IMO you would have better luck selling the boat complete. Plus you're going to want more than 485hp for the Mig! :D

p729lws
09-18-2007, 02:02 PM
My brother has an '87 for sale, sister boat to yours and in Pcola as well.
As far as the overall value, the price of the boat as is should be over 20k but it depends on the buyer. It also depends on how good the interior looks now (pics?)
For comparison, My brother is asking mid 20's for his boat. Bravo 1, 0 hour 454 / 500HP, brand new external steering, CMI exhaust, Dominator Carb, Interior was totally redone a few years ago including the dash, seats, etc. and the whole boat was done over in general at the same time.
I think selling the boat with a stock 454 may yield you the best return, assuming your engine build is done 'right' and the new boat has no power. Does your engine have 2 bolt mains? My bro's factory engine did, he upgraded to a 4 bolt main block, dumped the original block and drive all together.
You should be able to put a basic 454 in the boat for under 5k (if you shop you can pick one up for far less, one just went on ebay for 2500), and sell the boat easily in the mid teens. I think a bare hull would sell for hardly anything. All the parts probably nut much either. I posted my brother's old set of Gil dry exhaust pipes and never even got a reply.
I hope all that info helps:eek!:

Vette,
Thanks for the input. Where and for how long has your brothers boat been listed? Has he had much interest at that price level. I didn't think about pulling my motor and putting something stock in there. That might be a good option. My motor is 4-bolt main, roller rocker etc. I'll have to big up a photo of the interior. The interior is in good usable condition but it is 20 years old.

Dan

p729lws
09-18-2007, 02:12 PM
IMO you would have better luck selling the boat complete. Plus you're going to want more than 485hp for the Mig! :D

Scott,
I thought I was going to catch hell on the other site for neutering the Mig :eek!:. If the Pantera works for our bay conditions I'll start thinking about building a big cubic inch NA motor. I hate to sell the 22 but its just not big enough for the conditions here and the wife didn't think it was practical to move somewhere we could use the donzi more.:shocking: I'll have another Donzi some day.
Dan

blackhawk
09-18-2007, 02:35 PM
Scott,
I thought I was going to catch hell on the other site for neutering the Mig :eek!:. If the Pantera works for our bay conditions I'll start thinking about building a big cubic inch NA motor. I hate to sell the 22 but its just not big enough for the conditions here and the wife didn't think it was practical to move somewhere we could use the donzi more.:shocking: I'll have another Donzi some day.
Dan

No way, we wouldn't do that! And i think it's pretty sweet you wife went for a 3 man bolster boat! :yes:

If you're happy with the performance a 485 hp will give you in the Mig then replacing the 22 motor with a "stock" motor may be a good option.

p729lws
09-18-2007, 02:42 PM
And i think it's pretty sweet you wife went for a 3 man bolster boat! :yes:

It went over allot smoother than I expected. Maybe I'm not out of the woods yet :confused:

Cuda
09-19-2007, 05:55 AM
Did that Pantera come from S Florida?

Btw, sell the boat whole.

VetteLT193
09-19-2007, 06:48 AM
Vette,
Thanks for the input. Where and for how long has your brothers boat been listed? Has he had much interest at that price level. I didn't think about pulling my motor and putting something stock in there. That might be a good option. My motor is 4-bolt main, roller rocker etc. I'll have to big up a photo of the interior. The interior is in good usable condition but it is 20 years old.
Dan

I haven't talked to him for a few days, but the engine should be in the boat now. His really is 0 hours.

I haven't gotten pictures from him, because the boat wasn't done yet and I only listed it here in the for sale section, with description and no pictures so no interest. It's tough to visualize based on description. I'd say I listed it 2 weeks ago. I think with pics it will sell rather quickly.

Is your dash stock?

p729lws
09-19-2007, 11:06 AM
3 man bolster ='s new kitchen...
I'm still a little nervous that this went over as smooth as it did w/ the wife. I told my jeweler what I did and he picked out something appropriate. Time will well if it gets as bad as a new kitchen:eek!:

Did that Pantera come from S Florida?
Btw, sell the boat whole.
Yep, it's in Miami. Ed Cozzi's surveying it this week and I should be down next weekend to bring it home.

Is your dash stock?
The upholstery and dash / gages are original. I'll find some photos this week or take some fresh ones this weekend. The motor is very low hours since the rebuild. Mark at Precision has the EFI set up perfect, just ask Big Grizz.

Dan

Barry Eller
09-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Dan,

You left beer in my fridge last night. Remember what I said about giving Laura flowers...she'll think you are guilty of something!

p729lws
09-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Dan, You left beer in my fridge last night.
This is the first time in the history of the human language that these words have been used together in this order...:wink:
Dan

Cuda
09-19-2007, 10:47 PM
I'm pretty sure I saw that boat at Monty's running around during the 2002 Miami Boat Show. It came to the dock, they had the hatch up, and oil was everywhere. I probably can find a picture of it.

Cuda
09-19-2007, 10:49 PM
This is the first time in the history of the human language that these words have been used together in this order...:wink:
Dan
He must be like me. Found the rum stash, and said to hell with the beer. :wink:

handfulz28
09-19-2007, 10:58 PM
Take this with multiple grains of salt as I am a reknowned non-expert :propeller:
Few people outside of this forum will place a fair value on the motor/exhaust/shorty/steering. The cost of replacing those with "stock"-ish pieces is far less than if you have to buy them new all over again.
Don't give up on the idea of selling it without power/drive (maybe put a stock lower on). If you offer the boat at a fair price, you might get the attention of someone who can pay cash for the hull and then figure out how to go about making it their own with their choice of power. Was it X-18 that recently offered his up for sale in various options/pieces/parts? I don't know what the final outcome was. Good luck with whatever you choose.

On a sidenote: I love that motor, I want two of them for my Formula. I've been searching high and low for deals to mate that HP EFI intake to a massaged 454. If you can, please share motor info.

Barry Eller
09-20-2007, 07:09 AM

Vodka, Soda and a twist of lime...

p729lws
09-20-2007, 07:55 AM
On a sidenote: I love that motor, I want two of them for my Formula. I've been searching high and low for deals to mate that HP EFI intake to a massaged 454. If you can, please share motor info.
The motor is nice piece which is my main reason for considering parting the rig. My intake is made by Arizona Speed and Marine. http://www.azspeed-marine.com/index.html It looks very similar to the Merc 500/525 piece. You'll need a good EFI guy to get the programing correct if you're going to do a custom build. I highly recommend Mark at http://www.pmefi.com/ Mark also made all the motor component decisions.

Vodka, Soda and a twist of lime...

Brothers from other mothers:cool!:

Dan

VetteLT193
09-20-2007, 08:09 AM
I'm with handfulz28, and it's what I was trying to say earlier.

To be more clear:

My brother has endless $$$ spent on his boat. You can add up a handful of his parts and get to his asking price... For example, add up the cost of CMI exhaust ($4,000+?) and Latham full external steering ($4,000+).

Now, take those parts off and the selling price won't go down by $8k, it would probably only go down by a couple thousand bucks.

p729lws
09-20-2007, 11:26 AM
Well we have 11 votes for selling it complete and zero votes for the other options. Maybe I need to think about swapping some of the high dollar stuff for standard parts and sell it whole?

Thanks for the input guys.

Dan

handfulz28
09-20-2007, 11:55 AM
Well we have 11 votes for selling it complete and zero votes for the other options. Maybe I need to think about swapping some of the high dollar stuff for standard parts and sell it whole?
Thanks for the input guys.
Dan

That's the 11 guys hoping they can get a heck of a deal on those good parts :yes:
Doesn't hurt to "offer" it as a roller (floater?).
Good luck,
Michael

p729lws
09-20-2007, 02:17 PM
That's the 11 guys hoping they can get a heck of a deal on those good parts :yes:
Doesn't hurt to "offer" it as a roller (floater?).
Good luck,
Michael

Good Idea. Ebay has an option to take offers as part of the auction. It might make sence to run an auction for the boat as is w/ a starting bid of $15K, a reserve of $20K, a buy it now of $25K with an option to take offers without the motor and/or drive. Might be a good way to gage interest and decide what to do from there.

Green Hornet
09-27-2007, 12:36 PM
I see nothing wrong with pulling the motor and selling it seperate. Probably a better deal for you. The engine would be appealing to a lot more people for different applications anyway. Good luck regardless. Yer new boat looks awesome!

mphatc
09-27-2007, 01:00 PM
1. A running and operating boat will always be worth more than a boat w/o engine . that is a show stopper for too many potential buiyers
2. Your performance parts are not value adders to an old 86 Donzi

3. Do you have use for the performance parts on the Pantera . ?.

4. Consider a basic crate engine to start off with in the Pantera . as the engine in the 22 won't be enough for it anyways . .

I guess what I'm saying is why strip the 22 and reassemble it with a stock BB Chevy, install the Donzi engine in the Pantera and then yank it back out again .? This sounds like 3 big projects with their own expenses . . and alot of time and money wasted, might as well take the monetary hit on the sale of the Donzi as is . .

If you put the 22 on Ebay, lots and lots of quality pictures to show your detailed investment in the boat!
Good Luck!

Mario L.

p729lws
10-02-2007, 11:08 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190159168074

Well, here it is. Thanks for the input guys. :crossfing:

Dan

Lenny
10-03-2007, 12:15 AM
I did not vote, and will not offer my limited opinion, BUT, I do know, you just bought one Helluva BOAT :yes:

Been there, almost, but lost the fish on the hook. You netted yours. :D

p729lws
10-03-2007, 12:31 AM
I did not vote, and will not offer my limited opinion, BUT, I do know, you just bought one Helluva BOAT :yes:
Been there, almost, but lost the fish on the hook. You netted yours. :D

I've lost my share too, lol:cool: I'm looking forward to getting the Mig back on the water:yes: Where you looking at the Pantera?
Dan

bewitched
10-05-2007, 12:43 PM
Dan, if you do decide to part her out, I may be interested in the hull.
You can keep/sell any parts you like, trailer, whatever.

Unfortunately a haven't any firm idea of what she'd be worth as a bare rig, but I'd definitely be interested in discussing it with you, should you decide to go in that direction.

feel free to email me at your leisure... rob@compositeyacht.biz

Thanks,
Rob