PDA

View Full Version : Prop Performance Question

vits
09-17-2007, 11:08 PM
Currently running a no-name (?) three blade aluminum 15 x 17 prop on my OMC 4.3 powered 17' Ragazza. It's running nicely, with lots of jam to get up and go, and decent speed (44 for a nearly 20 year old bowrider is I think respectable...especially when I leave my buddy in his '06 V6 Chapparal behind on long runs down Lake Okanagan!!) This being said from 4400 to 4800 rpm I get no extra mph on the clock, and would like to think that there is more there. I would really appreciate any input as to manufacturer, prop type, pitch, that would get more out of what I've got. Will stainless steel make that big a difference? My kids are young so no need for pulling much more than the occassional tube. Like most guys and their Donzi, I just want to go a bit faster!

MOP
09-18-2007, 05:37 AM
Before you buy an S/S prop I would try to borrow one of the same pitch, you will gain a little RPM & speed but not a great deal. The blades are thinner then an aluminum one allowing it to spin easier, if you do decide to buy make sure you get one with a rubber hub. A solid hub prop on your drive will decrease the shift dog life! I think if you checked your speed with a GPS you would see and increase between 44 & 4800.

Phil