PDA

View Full Version : speed question

gero1
09-14-2007, 08:25 PM
just wondering what the top speed of a 26zx is??? some have a 454 and some have a 496ho. they do have a twin step bottom. are there any big problems with them, 1999-2002 models? will they cruise at 50 mph all day? i am talking bone stock and this question is in genral, let's not get into gear ratios and props please. just an average top speed. thanks

bulletbrother
09-14-2007, 11:17 PM
I have a 28zx with a 502 and can cruise all day at 4200 rpm @ 50 mph all day. Actualy the boat seems to cruise good starting at 3500 rpm. Im running a 23 pitch prop and need to go to a 24 4 blade. I guesse my boat is the same as yours as far as the bottom is concerend.

BigGrizzly
09-15-2007, 10:01 AM
The 26 ZX was a single engine engine and most had 23 three blade or 22 four blade and would cruise at about that speed. Bryan Truvell hade one and he beat it to death and it kept comming back for more. He did have some lower unit problems but he thinks he was just too rough with it. He now has a 33ZX he is in love with.

mrfixxall
09-15-2007, 12:47 PM
it depends on the prop and your driving style...

if you guys want to try a five blade on your heavy hull i suggest this prop..
i had installed a set of thease on a friends formula 311 with twin 330hp efi,,
the boat jumps rite on plane ( like a bat out of hell) and keep the boat on plane at 25mph at 2200 rpm with a max speed of 65 gps..im tell ya this is the best prop i have ever tryed on a 26 + boat with stock engines...:wink:

http://sites.mercurymarine.com/portal/page?_pageid=126,51831,126_51841&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

BigGrizzly
09-15-2007, 07:08 PM
The Mximus use to list for $1,200. It is now cheaper, but not by much. Any five blade will get you up on a plane faster but to receive that gain it cost top speed except in raised in raised X dimensions. We put a pair of 29 Turbos on a 27 Eliminator with two of our 650 Hp 502 CID, it ran 108 and would plane at 25 also. this boat had shortys on it. with my boat which has similar horse power and I run 29 three blades, no shorty the prop cost 3 mph and a bunch of RPMs. However a smaller one would be better but still cost me speed. Again it is all on power and boat. My neighbor just put the maximus on his Liberator and said he liked it until I on a Turbo Fusion. He didn't buy my prop but wants to take the prop back- good luck has had it for over a month. He didn't know I was a prop guy. It is all in the application. The 454 on a 26ZX won't turn a five maximus, better a four blade for that application.

mrfixxall
09-16-2007, 03:10 PM
The Mximus use to list for $1,200. It is now cheaper, but not by much. Any five blade will get you up on a plane faster but to receive that gain it cost top speed except in raised in raised X dimensions. We put a pair of 29 Turbos on a 27 Eliminator with two of our 650 Hp 502 CID, it ran 108 and would plane at 25 also. this boat had shortys on it. with my boat which has similar horse power and I run 29 three blades, no shorty the prop cost 3 mph and a bunch of RPMs. However a smaller one would be better but still cost me speed. Again it is all on power and boat. My neighbor just put the maximus on his Liberator and said he liked it until I on a Turbo Fusion. He didn't buy my prop but wants to take the prop back- good luck has had it for over a month. He didn't know I was a prop guy. It is all in the application. The 454 on a 26ZX won't turn a five maximus, better a four blade for that application.

where talking two differant style boats here, a eliminator(tunnel hull)which uses the air under it to keep it out of the water vs a formula stepped v-hull which is similar to a stepped zx.:wink:

yes they are pricy but work vary well,,im also a turbo dealer and have already tried the turbos..his boat wouldnt stay on plane with the 4 blade under 32 mph and yes it only ran 2 mph faster...

BigGrizzly
09-16-2007, 06:57 PM
Mr fix all, the eliminator had 5 blade turbos, the liberator had the maximus. the 5 blade turbos beat out the hydro p5X( 5 blade)- I was agreeing with the planing issue. BTW when you put on the Turbo which 4 blade did you use

BUIZILLA
09-16-2007, 07:01 PM
already tried the turbos..his boat wouldnt stay on plane with the 4 blade under 32 mph you sure that isn't 22 mph....

mrfixxall
09-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Mr fix all, the eliminator had 5 blade turbos, the liberator had the maximus. the 5 blade turbos beat out the hydro p5X( 5 blade)- I was agreeing with the planing issue. BTW when you put on the Turbo which 4 blade did you use

:) grzz are we talking twin engine liberator or single?

Buiz, 32 mph with the turbo's and around 30 mph with the bravo 1 4 blade props..

Splash
09-17-2007, 02:35 PM
Since I only have a 502 that's all I can give you input on. I have had my boat for almost 4 years and have really enjoyed it. My boat did come with a 23P Mirage Plus, prop did well as long as you were not turning. Otherwise it would blow out all over the place especially if you ever tried to take someone tubing or skiing. I went with a Bravo I 4 blade 24 pitch Labbed prob and top speed is 68mph via GPS, 65 mph is fairly easy to hit even with a full load. If your running a 502 or 496 50mph should be fairly easy to hit or maintain, can't really give you what RPM's you would be running but next time I'm out I will look. I bet it would probably be around 4,000 to 4,200rpm but that also depends on where you have it trimmed to.

Not sure if you just purchased a 26 but if you did good luck. The step Hull performs well and the only comment I can make is if you’re using the trim tabs it seems to handle a little different then your traditional non stepped Hull. Since I came from a 21' it might just be the additional weight and length that's giving me that different feel with the Tabs. I would guess that I run 95% without ever touching the tabs.
Take care, Jim

BigGrizzly
09-17-2007, 03:48 PM
Liberator had a single. what the guy liked was the top speed with the $ blade. I feel that he really did not need a 5 blade for his application. This guy has a golf cart with a sound system better than my Jeep. Nice guy, just not real knowledgeable about boats and admits it--novel though.

glashole
09-17-2007, 03:59 PM
Robert

I know what you are thinking and I don't think these boats will cruise where you want (3000 rpm @50 mph ) like your boat does now

sounds like you have to keep the revs up to maintain that type of speed :(

mrfixxall
09-17-2007, 04:52 PM
[QUOTE=BigGrizzly;424908]Liberator had a single. what the guy liked was the top speed with the $ blade. I feel that he really did not need a 5 blade for his application. This guy has a golf cart with a sound system better than my Jeep. Nice guy, just not real knowledgeable about boats and admits it--novel though

Gotcha!was the liberator a newer style or like this one that im working on as we speak:wink: any anyways ive tryed several on this one 3,4,5, it likes a mach that dah tricked out for me 16x20, the old liberators love the 16'' props we couldnt brake 60 with a 2+2 or a raker 25 but once i put this prop on it made this pos ford 460 +engine feel like a 502 chevy..

Anywaysas stated two differant animals between single and twin screws:wink:

gero1
09-17-2007, 09:14 PM
thanks splash, that's what i was after