PDA

View Full Version : exhaust manifolds

brwn234
09-14-2007, 06:08 PM
So my manifolds are probably about done and I'm looking at replacing/upgrading them. I can find manifolds no problem but what kind of risers should I be looking for. I've got a '00 22zx with a 7.4MPI and Quick and Quiet. Are they're different angles and flanges? I've been looking around and they all look different. I dont wanna spend a fortune and I'm not looking for some crazy high performance set up. Just a little more and something I can put on a daily driver turnkey boat. What do you guys have or suggest for systems?

f_inscreenname
09-14-2007, 06:34 PM
So my manifolds are probably about done and I'm looking at replacing/upgrading them. I can find manifolds no problem but what kind of risers should I be looking for. I've got a '00 22zx with a 7.4MPI and Quick and Quiet. Are they're different angles and flanges? I've been looking around and they all look different. I dont wanna spend a fortune and I'm not looking for some crazy high performance set up. Just a little more and something I can put on a daily driver turnkey boat. What do you guys have or suggest for systems?
Hunt eBay for a set of stainless steel risers. You will never have to replace them again.

MOP
09-14-2007, 09:38 PM
Most unless custom fit the standard Mercruiser I/O configuration, flanges can vary when it comes to headers and S/S risers. It is important to find out the bolt pattern & spacing.

Phil

RedDog
09-15-2007, 08:55 AM
put a set of Stainless Marine manifolds and risers on and be done with it. Should be a perfect fit with all of the necessary brackets and gaskets.

Check with MadPoodle.

BigGrizzly
09-15-2007, 09:55 AM
My son has the same boat and we went with the Stainless marine manifolds and risers. They fit perfect and saved about 150 p0unds a side.

Carl C
09-15-2007, 05:49 PM
My son has the same boat and we went with the Stainless marine manifolds and risers. They fit perfect and saved about 150 p0unds a side. That's gotta be a typo. You lost 300# in exhaust weight?:eek!:

BigGrizzly
09-15-2007, 07:14 PM
No typo here, I can barely lift the stock ones with the risers. The old Merc ones are for sale Cheap, and have been for 3 years. Mad Poodle has the exact numbers.

Carl C
09-15-2007, 07:18 PM
No typo here, I can barely lift the stock ones with the risers. The old Merc ones are for sale Cheap, and have been for 3 years. Mad Poodle has the exact numbers. That's insane, I bet they stay for sale awhile longer!

f_inscreenname
09-15-2007, 07:42 PM
That is a little hard to believe.
My 454 cast iron manifolds,
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/4981/mancg3.jpg

A cast aluminum GLM manifold I replaced them with,
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/9404/man2gu1.jpg

I had a set of Hi-Tek's that weighed only 11lbs each for my Mopar but they cost 10 times the GLM's. For the the money I could not see buying another set for the 454 to save 10 lbs.

BigGrizzly
09-15-2007, 07:52 PM
Now add the risers to that. I think that stainless marine weigh 30 lbs with the risers and tail pipes. There is an old post that has all the weights.

mrfixxall
09-16-2007, 02:32 PM
(I can barely lift the stock ones with the risers). grizz ya need to go back to the gym:wink: now if your refering to the old log style then yes they are fricken heavy, the center riser ones are around 75 lbs each with the risers and what ever **** packed in them over the years of use,,kinda like a old hot water tank..

Cuda
09-16-2007, 03:45 PM
I saved 90 pounds switching from the old log style, to Dana exhaust. I also save 21 pounds, by ditching the circulating pump, and old t stat housing. The old exhaust manifolds and risers weighed in at a hefty 152 pounds.:eek!:

justleft
09-16-2007, 04:40 PM
There are a bunch headers and pipes (CMI, Stellings, ....) on EBay right now.

blackhawk
09-16-2007, 07:46 PM
My son has the same boat and we went with the Stainless marine manifolds and risers. They fit perfect and saved about 150 p0unds a side.

I assume you're talking about a twin and 150lbs per motor because no way you can drop 300lbs on one motor. In fact I don't think you can drop 150lbs per motor. More like #75.

blackhawk
09-17-2007, 08:31 AM
The OLD log style you may save 100lbs but not 150. The newer style is probably closer to 60lbs of savings.

BigGrizzly
09-17-2007, 08:53 AM
You guys have a thing for quibbling over some weight. Maybe I need to go back to the gym. even at 100 lbs on the engine is a significant difference. I will even say I over estimated the weight. However My son's is an 80 mph 22ZX, and my Criterion is well over 80 MPH. Just maybe I do know something about boat setup, weight and engines. BTW Marc's 22ZX is for sale, he wants a bigger one. He plans to skip the 20 footers all together. Don't even bother making suggestions where he should go from here, he knows exactly what he wants.

Carl C
09-17-2007, 10:30 AM
You guys have a thing for quibbling over some weight. Maybe I need to go back to the gym. even at 100 lbs on the engine is a significant difference. I will even say I over estimated the weight. However My son's is an 80 mph 22ZX, and my Criterion is well over 80 MPH. Just maybe I do know something about boat setup, weight and engines. BTW Marc's 22ZX is for sale, he wants a bigger one. He plans to skip the 20 footers all together. Don't even bother making suggestions where he should go from here, he knows exactly what he wants. Well said, it does not matter. I think one factor is that the older we get the heavier things seem. Time to get this thread back on topic.:)

mrfixxall
09-17-2007, 10:59 AM
[QUOTE=MadPoodle;424874]Stainless Marine BBC manifolds, COMPLETE with all attaching hardware, brackets, nuts to soup weigh in at about 90 lbs packaged for shipping..
SBC setup is considerably less..
FWIW, the Chris Craft cast manifolds and risers I removed fom my 18 weighed in at about 194 lbs.. Still in the attic if anyone wants em...[/QUOT

I second the motion, i have 3 sets up stairs... Im gonna give them to freddie g sanford aka the junkman,,im helping him support his booze addiction:)

blackhawk
09-17-2007, 11:02 AM
You guys have a thing for quibbling over some weight. Maybe I need to go back to the gym. even at 100 lbs on the engine is a significant difference. I will even say I over estimated the weight. However My son's is an 80 mph 22ZX, and my Criterion is well over 80 MPH. Just maybe I do know something about boat setup, weight and engines. BTW Marc's 22ZX is for sale, he wants a bigger one. He plans to skip the 20 footers all together. Don't even bother making suggestions where he should go from here, he knows exactly what he wants.

I was just trying to post real weight loss numbers so people can make an informed decision. After all that is what this board is for. Weight plays a big factor in some boats, especially where it is added/reduced.

blackhawk
09-17-2007, 11:07 AM

If you're looking for an inexpensive replacement manifolds/risers look at the GLM manifolds.

http://www.glmmarine.com/manifolds/

Cuda
09-18-2007, 04:40 AM
Speaking of weight loss, I went from a low rise cast iron intake at 48 pounds, to a Performer intake at 19 pounds, making the total weight savings out of the stern of the boat 140 pounds.

brwn234
09-18-2007, 08:31 PM
Blackhawk,
I was wondering about GLM. I see them everywhere for sale and there very affordable. Their website talks about there performance over stock. What do you think about that. Like I said I'm not looking to build a race motor, maybe just a bit more power than stock and a little more exhaust tone.

gold-n-rod
09-18-2007, 09:08 PM
Blackhawk,
I was wondering about GLM. I see them everywhere for sale and there very affordable. Their website talks about there performance over stock. What do you think about that. Like I said I'm not looking to build a race motor, maybe just a bit more power than stock and a little more exhaust tone.

No flow gain and no tone change. The performance improvement comes from the weight savings. I lost +100# from the stern when I installed the GLMs. Dimensionally, they are the same as the stockers, same flow, etc.

I would guess I gained 2 mph over stock..... all from the weight savings.

BigGrizzly
09-19-2007, 09:19 AM
We did dyno work on some exhausts and the GLM were disappointing, as were most of the look alike type. Why do you think so many are for sale cheap. I told you what I would do and I don't do any thing without checking it out first. Some people say that they are the the best they ever had, but the only others were the stock ones- figure that one out!! Like Golden rod said weight.

blackhawk
09-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Blackhawk,

As gold-n-rod said don't expect any performance gains other than weight loss. They are a very inexpensive replacement.

mrfixxall
09-19-2007, 02:41 PM
also remember this ' the nicer the nice the higher the price'' you get what you pay for:yes:

BigGrizzly
09-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Way to go Mr fixall aint it the truth

brwn234
09-30-2007, 08:26 AM
Ok, I'm beating this one to death. I'm looking at a bunch of different exhausts,Stainless Marine and Revolution Marine, and all the risers angles look really extreme. They all look like their aimed further down than the exhasut exits are located on my 22zx. Am I just not looking at them incorrectly? I wanna make sure it'll fit before I put out like $1500 to $2200 on an exhaust.

brwn234
10-01-2007, 07:54 PM
What do you think/or know about Kodiak manifolds. They're all aluminum, manifolds and risers. I found a complete set for sale at a great price. I cant find much info about them. RexMarine sells the kit for around $1200. What do ya think? I dont wanna be cheap but I kinda got to be right now.

mrfixxall
10-01-2007, 11:45 PM
What do you think/or know about Kodiak manifolds. They're all aluminum, manifolds and risers. I found a complete set for sale at a great price. I cant find much info about them. RexMarine sells the kit for around $1200. What do ya think? I dont wanna be cheap but I kinda got to be right now.

wont fit, the angle on the risers are too low and will end up about the middle of your steering rack..em me i can sell you a set of emi's for the same price. i believe their out of bizz also and if thats the case then what about warrenty?

http://eddiemarine.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=13074&c=63

BigGrizzly
10-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Mrfixall is giving you a good price, and Kodiak aren't anything to write home about. Not to take a sale away from anyone, I have CMIs on my boats,because one engine was designed around them and no one makes one for the 351 Cleveland so CMIs designed them, I would do Stainless Marine on my boat if I had a normal boat with a chevy.