PDA

View Full Version : This may help some understand what a photo shoot is all about.

Mr X
09-13-2007, 08:53 PM
This shows how the spetacular photos and videos are accomplished.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=623186180

Air 22
09-13-2007, 09:28 PM
X..Great Clip..:wink:

From a Pilots perspective and USCG Rescue Swimmer...thats nutz...with todays camera technology flying that close to anything is asking for trouble. Looks kool ...but as we have seen can be disasterous and is avoidable.

Section 5. Potential Flight Hazards

7-5-1. Accident Cause Factors

a. The 10 most frequent cause factors for general aviation accidents that involve the pilot-in-command are:

1. Inadequate preflight preparation and/or planning.

2. Failure to obtain and/or maintain flying speed.

3. Failure to maintain direction control.

4. Improper level off.

5. Failure to see and avoid objects or obstructions.

6. Mismanagement of fuel.

7. Improper inflight decisions or planning.

8. Misjudgment of distance and speed.

9. Selection of unsuitable terrain.

10. Improper operation of flight controls.

b. This list remains relatively stable and points out the need for continued refresher training to establish a higher level of flight proficiency for all pilots. A part of the FAA's continuing effort to promote increased aviation safety is the Aviation Safety Program. For information on Aviation Safety Program activities contact your nearest Flight Standards District Office.

c. Alertness. Be alert at all times, especially when the weather is good. Most pilots pay attention to business when they are operating in full IFR weather conditions, but strangely, air collisions almost invariably have occurred under ideal weather conditions. Unlimited visibility appears to encourage a sense of security which is not at all justified. Considerable information of value may be obtained by listening to advisories being issued in the terminal area, even though controller workload may prevent a pilot from obtaining individual service.

d. Giving Way. If you think another aircraft is too close to you, give way instead of waiting for the other pilot to respect the right-of-way to which you may be entitled. It is a lot safer to pursue the right-of-way angle after you have completed your flight.

7-5-3. Obstructions To Flight

a. General. Many structures exist that could significantly affect the safety of your flight when operating below 500 feet AGL, and particularly below 200 feet AGL. While 14 CFR Part 91.119 allows flight below 500 AGL when over sparsely populated areas or open water, such operations are very dangerous. At and below 200 feet AGL there are numerous power lines, antenna towers, etc., that are not marked and lighted as obstructions and; therefore, may not be seen in time to avoid a collision. Notices to Airmen (NOTAMs) are issued on those lighted structures experiencing temporary light outages. However, some time may pass before the FAA is notified of these outages, and the NOTAM issued, thus pilot vigilance is imperative.

Trueser
09-13-2007, 10:34 PM
That just looks stupid. Why do they need to be that close?

BRIAN73
09-14-2007, 09:23 AM
Ted,

I couldn't agree more with what you said.

Between the scant clad model, the noise and rotor wash of the heli, it was a hair raising experience to say the least.

I remember being really surprised when the heli got so close that it was pitching the 26zx side to side in the gulf at 60MPH. My hands were white on the steering wheel.

I also remember April saying is this as fast is this boat goes, during the bay shoot on the 22SE, "I was going full bore"....LOL (What A Woman)..LOL

When I was up in the heli with Miller and Forest, it was a whole diferent ball game.

IS THERE A TIME MACHINE TO TAKE ME BACK!!!!!!! LOL

Brian

TED, I need to ask you a question
Please get ahold of me.....
englert@troybelting.com

justleft
09-14-2007, 10:30 AM
Way back in the '80s we did a poker run from Miami to KW on the inside.
All the boats were doing 50mph thru this channel cut through the mangroves.
(I'm sure there is a speed limit now) !!

The helo was flying a few feet above the water with the boats on one side
and the trees on the other. The helo would shoot up into the air to clear oncoming boats then dive right back down below the trees !!!!!!

The onboard photographer quit at the lunch stop and said he would find his own way home. The pilot siad the flying was no big deal as he normally flew drug interdiction patrols up the rivers in Columbia.

Carl C
09-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Looks pretty reckless to me but I guess the pilot was better than this one: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b47_1188588521

Air 22
09-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Even today the best pictures are not shot with zoom lenses, but with short focal length lenses. As modern lens technology improves, the need to be so close will go away.

That kind of flying takes skill...no doubt that they are talented pilots.:wink: The envelope for error is almost nill as anyone can see from the video.

With all the video/movie/picture editing technology...if a shot needs to be " brushed-up" it can be done and maybe prevent future accidents. Putting one's life in danger for a photo shoot seems a little rediculous. I'm not a professional photographer but do these guy's get millions for these kinda shots? Just one pilot trying to understand taking that kinda risk?:confused::eek!: Are there any helo pilots on the board??

smokediver
09-14-2007, 04:27 PM
i guess it all boils down to choice .. some people don't wear helmets some lifejackets , seatbelts .. some people smoke , drink , do drugs ... endless ... i think at the end of the day , if all people are willing and no one innocent stands to be injured ... probably people think we are stupid to drive our boats fast .. .etc ... i wouldn't do it as i am scared of everything ... :yes::yes::yes:

Ranman
09-14-2007, 08:31 PM
Are there any helo pilots on the board??

Digger is a distinguished helo pilot. Not sure how often he reads this board, but I for one would like to hear his perspective.

smokediver
09-15-2007, 06:44 AM
thinking about it ... shouldn't air shows be illegal ? seems to me that contradicts the FAA ??? i wonder if more helo pilots die shooting pictures or more fixed wing pilots die at airshows ...

gpapich
09-15-2007, 07:00 AM
Looks pretty reckless to me but I guess the pilot was better than this one: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b47_1188588521
That one looked like something failed in the cyclic part of the control system. Sometimes you're just along for the ride and sometimes it's your time.
I remember when I was the conning officer aboard USS Saratoga in the Adriatic in '94. We had an F-18 that had a stabilator actuator failure just as he shot off the stbd bow cat. Usually when they launch, the guys coming off the bow do a slight clearing turn to get some separation from the guys coming off the waist cat.
This guy continued to roll to the right past 90 degrees. I saw the canopy blow off starting the ejection sequence at about 110 degrees and the seat and pilot ejected at about 170 degrees straight into the water from about 100feet altitude. Didn't make it.
My roommate was the recovery boat officer. Messed him up for a few days.
Flight pay is no joke.
Read the account of Donald Campbell and Bluebird.
http://www.lesliefield.com/personalities/donald_campbell_tributes.htm
Apparently he didn't wait for the water to settle out as well as being light on fuel. Be safe and manage the risk to you and especially others around you. Take care.
G.

Air 22
09-15-2007, 10:22 AM
thinking about it ... shouldn't air shows be illegal ? seems to me that contradicts the FAA ??? i wonder if more helo pilots die shooting pictures or more fixed wing pilots die at airshows ...

Guess if you put it that way...Stunts are stunts:eek!:...and each has to evaluate the risk..:boggled:....My horse has no more blood...all gone:wink:

Mr X
09-15-2007, 01:43 PM
Great point, my bet would be air shows. :wink:

Air 22
09-15-2007, 06:19 PM
:eek!:
Great point, my bet would be air shows. :wink:
Found a little more blood in that horse.....:lookaroun: One has to consider/realize that there many more airshows(planes/people involved) around the world than powerboat photo shoots:wink:... so the ratio's of pilots/passengers/spectators getting killed) is not equal...
Airshows are leagal thru the FAA...Permits, Restricted Airspace, Crash Fire Rescue etc are all coordinated for safety etc....even so...the Danger sure still exists.!!:wink: