PDA

View Full Version : Blackhawk Drive Top Cap Slipping Backwards !

Greg Maier
12-15-2002, 07:23 AM
I'm looking for a little help here. While doing some winter maintenance on my Donzi, I noticed that the Top Cap on my Blackhawk drive seems to have slipped backwards about 1/16 of an inch. I can see the front rim of the machined aluminum surface where the top caps is supposed to mate. I'm not sure if this has always been this way and I just noticed it or if it has recently happened. I'm not sure how this top cap could possibly slip without shearing the screws off. I think the top cap on a Blackhawk is the same as the top cap on a Bravo. Has anybody seen this before?

MOP
12-15-2002, 08:32 AM
Have no fear it did not move, if it did the upper housing would show vertical cracks. That cap fits into a closely machined opening with an O-Ring.

Greg Maier
12-15-2002, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the info. The boat is sitting on a lift right now so I didn't want to mess around with the Top Cap and spill oil in the water. I was hoping that it didn't move because I think there would be some serious issues if it did. I'm not sure why the machined surfaces don't line up correctly, maybe that is what Mercury had to do to make the Bravo Top Cap fit the Blackhawk. Do you have any experience with the aftermarket top caps that are supposed to be stronger than stock? Is the strength of the top cap an issue?

Indyblackhawk
12-15-2002, 07:55 PM
Hello Greg,

Here is a couple of pictures showing the drive top cover and the opening in the drive case. The top cover is closely machined to fit snug into the case (about 1/4" or so). Short of a serious blow-out, the cover is not going to move. I can send you a manual if you want more information.

Ouch!!! - Sorry about the supersized picture! I have never done this before?

http://www.donzi.net/photos/ATempleman01.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/photos/ATempleman02.jpg

Greg Maier
12-15-2002, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the pictures. After looking at those, I can see why it would be impossible for the Top Cap to move. I'm not sure why it does not match up to its mating surface perfectly.