PDA

View Full Version : Agonizing over the X-18

The Hedgehog
09-10-2007, 06:20 PM
I am struggling over a light and cleat issue with the X-18. The boat is currently a combo of new and old. I went with the customized hotrod motif. I kept the classic color scheme but updated the throttle, gauges, engine and drive. The seats look somewhat more modern and I used the original decals. So far I am very pleased. I am struggling with a couple of things. Here are my considerations: Replace the front lifting ring with a pop-up cleat and bow light with a pop-up light or bring those back to original. I love the look of the original setup but could see that the clean look could be cool too. Anyone else do that with a classic 18 or X-18?

BUIZILLA
09-10-2007, 06:25 PM
I did popup cleats, lift ring, and bow light on the Minx and didn't regret it, really cleaned up the lines...

BigGrizzly
09-10-2007, 06:35 PM
I can see it on the Minx but not the classic or X model. Don't mess with perfection.

Marlin275
09-10-2007, 06:49 PM
X-18 is so rare
people think it is the best of the best
keep it real, original

tom freeman
09-10-2007, 06:52 PM
my opinion is ... i had a guy redo my deck a few years ago, long before i met any of you all, well one day i went to see the boat and he had replaced the ring in the bow with a pop up cleat.

it never bothered me... until i met this site and see that all the cool photo's have boats with rings. I hate my cleat now and if and when i ever redo the deck again i will put the ring back.

mrfixxall
09-10-2007, 08:15 PM
i only updated my lifting rings to the newer style 1 piece one and left the stock light..i would leave it alone..o btw updated the guaged too:)

gpapich
09-10-2007, 08:22 PM
I am struggling over a light and cleat issue with the X-18. The boat is currently a combo of new and old. I went with the customized hotrod motif. I kept the classic color scheme but updated the throttle, gauges, engine and drive. The seats look somewhat more modern and I used the original decals. So far I am very pleased. I am struggling with a couple of things. Here are my considerations: Replace the front lifting ring with a pop-up cleat and bow light with a pop-up light or bring those back to original. I love the look of the original setup but could see that the clean look could be cool too. Anyone else do that with a classic 18 or X-18?

Yeah, me too. I'm also debating the classic vs. modern look. I know I need to lose the dragster scoop on my engine hatch. Too big and wrong era. Not cool. I think I'm going to approach the whole deal like Chip Foose. Preserve the retro, but make it distinctive and classy. I'm still kicking around what I want to do.

I think when I get headers for it, I'm probably going to need clearance on the hatch, so a Shelby style scoop or perhaps a low profile version of a Cuda AAR or Six-Pack hood scoop might work. Keep the stock paint scheme of black hull and red accents.

I agree with some of the others though on the flush mount items. Small details, but as long as you don't over do the billet... It's all personal taste. Who am I to say.

Lenny
09-10-2007, 08:36 PM
I'd do Accon pop ups, (4) and leave the two lifting eyes ALONE...

That is just me tho and that is what my "X" is getting. Actually, they have been on the shop shelve for about 2 years now, so when I say "getting" I use the term loosely... :D

Now, the "other X" ... :D

The Hedgehog
09-10-2007, 08:42 PM
You guys are ALL reflecting the thoughts that are going on in my head. Thanks and keep them coming.

Man that X-18 is one beautiful boat. I will get there without overdoing the billet!

osur866
09-10-2007, 09:46 PM
Keep original, is my .02, theres just something about seeing that lifting ring on the nose that sets it apart. Steve

goatee
09-10-2007, 11:51 PM
put a "groovey" wind shield on it, and a tow bar on the bow.
so much stuff on the dash it looks cluttered, and a swim platform.
ooops! almost forgot the bimini....

The Hedgehog
09-11-2007, 07:11 AM
put a "groovey" wind shield on it, and a tow bar on the bow.
so much stuff on the dash it looks cluttered, and a swim platform.
ooops! almost forgot the bimini....

Yes, the retrofit windshield would be cool (I actually had someone suggest that but they were in a Chapparell). Extra gauges that I don't need and a clock would be great. I could top it off with some step plates down the bow, a transom shower and some grab handles on the stern. I could also install a Turbo button like they put on computers back in the day. For the grand finale I could put the name "Bleu By You" in big letters on the side (borrowed that name from a guy that had a 65 mph Baja 'cause you know that Speed Changes You!)

Kirbyvv
09-11-2007, 07:30 AM
My 2 cents....keep her original. Like Lenny I bought pop up cleats for the bumpers, but they have been on a shelf for 2 yrs. Just can't bring myself to cut the holes.

gpapich
09-11-2007, 08:00 AM
My 2 cents....keep her original. Like Lenny I bought pop up cleats for the bumpers, but they have been on a shelf for 2 yrs. Just can't bring myself to cut the holes.
Another idea for the bumpers is to use stainless steel quick-pins for your bumpers. Someone years back installed Perko fender hanger mounts that are about the same diameter (1.75") on my deck.
If you installed them the right way with some heavier reinforcement under the deck, I think that for fenders and mooring lines, they could all go on the quick-pins. Not to mention if you wanted to use spring lines to keep you off someone ahead or astern of you you now have a much sturdier place.
See the link:
http://www.rexmar.com/page32.html

maddad
09-11-2007, 03:35 PM
I'm a fan of the all original look, and never had a problem tying my boat up with only the lifting eyes. I carry three lines with bronze snap clips spliced in the middle.
The one thing I consider adding every once in a while is one of those remote control deer jacking lights, like on the front of BigGrizzly's lt. blue boat.

The Hedgehog
09-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Another idea for the bumpers is to use stainless steel quick-pins for your bumpers. Someone years back installed Perko fender hanger mounts that are about the same diameter (1.75") on my deck.
If you installed them the right way with some heavier reinforcement under the deck, I think that for fenders and mooring lines, they could all go on the quick-pins. Not to mention if you wanted to use spring lines to keep you off someone ahead or astern of you you now have a much sturdier place.
See the link:
http://www.rexmar.com/page32.html

I like that. I will not be able to aviod rafting up but can suspend the boat from the lifting eyes and use the quick pins for else. Clean and practical.

MOP
09-11-2007, 05:14 PM
You can keep everyone happy by installing:wrench: an invisible divariabledebblefritzer :pizza::sombrero:

VetteLT193
09-12-2007, 07:16 AM
I have the lifting rings and pop ups on my Minx.

I have one pop up on the bow, forward of the lifting ring but behind the light.
I also have 2 more pop ups, one on each side of the engine hatch area.

I don't know if I would get rid of the rings on the X, but adding a few pop ups is really nice. It's a PITA to loop the whole line through the ring every time.

I would do a pop up bow light, assuming you are like me anyway and hardly do any boating at night.

Sweet little 16
09-12-2007, 08:42 AM
some early hornets and 16 came with a lifting ring cleat combo something similar to this would be a compromise between pop ups and originality of course the ones on the donzi were uniform on both sides these are shorter on one side

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lift-Rings-Chris-Craft-Century-Etc_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ26448QQihZ018QQitem Z280150990233QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW