PDA

View Full Version : getting the handrail in the water! DANGER, DANGER!

pipnit
09-07-2007, 11:06 PM
SO the first couple days of this week were just PERFECT out on South East Lake Michigan. One percenters, with 0 waves, just glassy water. I had been going out every night after work from 5 to 8 just having a blast. SO I went out Wednesday with my buddy and travelled about 15 miles away from Michigan City. I was showing off the way the boat can turn on flat water by putting the handrail basically in the water. I'd done it a million times before. SO I cut a right hander (starboard for all you pirates) and then hard left to the lock in to a big 360 degree turn. It was fun and I accelerated out of it and then she died. SHe woulding fire up so I started to poke around. I found water in the carb so figured that my water gas seperator had failed when put at that severe of an angle. I took the tow of shame for two hours. Luckily I had a friend who was out there already. So the next day we start working on it and I find water in the gas tank! A lot of water in the gas tank! I siphoned about four gallons off the bottom. How the heck did this get there?!?!? Left hand turn, hard on it's side. I look at the port side of the boat and on the front third, there it is, the gas vent. Amazing to see how much water got sucked up. I swear, I should be a beta tester for someone. If you can build it, I can break it! :shocking::smash:

chappy
09-08-2007, 09:58 AM
This information might help.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42582&highlight=water+gas+vent

I found post #11 from Jon to be informative. 4 gallons seems like a lot to be drawn in from the vent.

Good luck,

Rich

Lenny
09-08-2007, 10:00 AM
At what angle is your gas vent at in relation to the running angle ???

:eek:

Wes, (here on the Board) would kind of go one step further, and basically do a small left, into a small right and then a 270 degree left. So basically, at about 35-40, turn the boat around in it's length :eek:

Actually, was a ton of fun, and he never had water issues with the tank...

hmmm :confused:

mphatc
09-08-2007, 04:05 PM
At what angle is your gas vent at in relation to the running angle ???
:

As Lenny asked . . . your vent should be pointing down and back . . . this way it shouldn't take in any water!

You can bury a rail in a 16 or an 18 Classic, but don't try it in a Corsican . . . :eek!:

freaking scary . . as the rail is 5-6" further inboard . . .

Mario

BigGrizzly
09-09-2007, 10:23 AM
The water comes in the vent when idling in a big cruiser wake or anchored. Especially if the internal hose isn't up and over the vent.

pipnit
09-10-2007, 05:35 PM
The vent is a little chrome piece with the opening angled to the back. It's positioned correctly. When I say four gallons, I did pull gas too. I kept pulling gas simply because it didn't smell strongly of gas. I did get easily over one gallon of crystal clear water though. I'm sure this is what happened. I had the thing just burried at a pretty good clip in a big 360. Live and learn. :boat: She's running great again and there were no traces of water in the fuel seperator after going for a hot run.