PDA

View Full Version : Good Time On Lake St. Clair Today

Carl C
09-05-2007, 08:22 PM
The lake was still covered with fog at noon so I relaxed awhile near Metro Beach and cranked out some Tom Jones for a while til the fog began to burn off. Conditions were pretty good so I decided to make the run to Lake Erie again. I got off the channel twice and found myself in shallow water but am getting more familiar with this stretch. I'm still trying to get the balls to cross Lake Erie to Put-In-Bay. I gassed up at Gregory's Fuel Dock and he tipped me off that the Coasties were just up ahead boarding vessels and writing tix for wake violations. Out with the binocs and sure enough! Gave him a nice tip and idled past the Coasties and back to St. Clair w/exhaust in quiet mode. I did not know this was no wake and he saved me a sure ticket! I buzzed around St. Clair awhile and then I headed up the main channel and up the St. Clair River a ways before I turned around and headed back to Metro Beach to call it a day. Next time I think I'll go north to Lake Huron. Is there any better boating than on the Great Lakes??

ChromeGorilla
09-05-2007, 09:53 PM
Good to see ya out enjoying the boat Carl..... summers winding down....:wink:

Don't ya just love mid week boating.... it's so nice having the water calm and all to yourself....:yes:

tiger lily
09-06-2007, 02:10 AM
the west side of belle isle is no wake from DYC to just pass the 76 gas sign, theres also a sand bar there so stay in the channel, the east side of grosse ile at the north end is also very very shallow, stay in the channel if you do not know that area very well, and when you come off the canadian side its also very shallow, like 1-2 foot, all rocks, stay at least 15 feet off the rocks around the livingston channel , crystal bay, and cross dyke, south of the boblo docks in the area between the livingston and boblo island there is another rock pile, be cautious, trying to help and give some advice here, that is my area and i know it very well, from the end of the livingston channel its about 30 miles to PIB, half way there you will pass middle sister, i think its about a 150 heading on the compass, cant rember, ive done it so many time that i pretty much point in the right direction and then hit middle sister and continue, your 22 should make it easily, i leave out of grosse ile and make that run Alot, i have to fuel up at pib to make it back, i burn about a half tank each way

Carl C
09-06-2007, 07:06 AM
Chrome, yes I love week-day boating but there were plenty of other boats and a steady stream of freighters. I just can't imagine boating there on a week-end in a 22 footer. Tiger lily, thanks for the tips. I try to stay in the channels but sometimes there are so many bouys it gets confusing. I did get caught in the "middle ground" off Belle Isle when I noticed that the bouy to my right was red heading south and I'm like oh, **** red should be to my left:eek!:! Checked the depth gauge and it said 2.2 feet. I trimmed her up and got back to the channel. I won't screw up there again! I also got a little messed up at the lower river where it is kind of a maze of channels. One thing I didn't say because I was too embarassed at the time is that when I was exiting the end of the South channel I got too far to the left and out of the channel. I checked the depth sounder and it said 2 feet. I looked down and egads! Shut her off, got in the water and pushed it through water 1-2 feet deep back to the channel!:):yes::cool!:

DonziChick
09-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Metro beach is a great area.

If you ever make it over to PIB, let me know! I'm usually around there and Kellys island

Carl C
09-06-2007, 12:13 PM
Metro beach is a great area.
If you ever make it over to PIB, let me know! I'm usually around there and Kellys island Will do, but sad to say that it looks like our weather is finally gonna cool off. Might not be untill next year:(. I wish this global warming thing would hurry up, could sure dig year round boating on the Greats!:lookaroun: