PDA

View Full Version : Minx Questions?

ECU Pirate
09-05-2007, 04:41 PM
I had the Minx out Sunday for the first time. George and Cuda were right that is the most fun I have had in a boat with or with out my shorts on in a long time. I have a question about running at WOT. The tach was at 4200 rpm partially trimmed out. I did not run to long @ WOT Falls lake is down 4ft (we are in drought) and it can get a little sketchy. My question to you guys with Minx and or 350 mag/ alphaone experience, is that common or is that a low rpm range? The boat is bone stock. The prop is a Quicksilver48 23p. I know next to nothing about props etc. I know motors in hot rods and muscle cars and the rpms just seemed low. It ran excellent, never missed a beat and the hole shot was awesome. Thanks for any input.

Cuda
09-05-2007, 06:05 PM
What elevation is the lake at? I ran a 23 cleaver at about 4800 rpm.

ECU Pirate
09-05-2007, 06:46 PM
We are barely above sea level

gcarter
09-05-2007, 06:55 PM
If you're running the 20 year old 260 HP SBC, then you're probably over propped. Mine was a 310 HP 350 w/Vortec heads and with a 600 CFM Holley and a 15 X 22 Hydro Q-4 (warm day) about 61 @ 4400 RPM was all it would do. I changed to a Q-jet carb shortly before I sold it and picked up about 200 RPM or about 62.5-63 MPH @ 4600 RPM. The best I did was a pretty cool day (50*) and a labbed 25" cleaver and was able to go 64 +/- @4400 RPM.
I may have gotten it to 4800 RPM on another cool day but I didn't have the GPS but the speedo (liquid filled Gaffrig Monster speedo...very accurate piece that is) said 65.

CHACHI
09-06-2007, 06:18 AM
My Minx would run 62 on the GPS with the stock 23 cleaver. Engine was a 350 MAG and at WOT it would run to the high side of what Mercrusier spec. for the engine. Truthfully I cannot remember 46-4800?
Ken

VetteLT193
09-06-2007, 07:22 AM
Mine is running the exact same way as yours, with the same wheel. I have more HP though, owner claimed 350 HP (it's definitely cammed up). I *think* my engine may not be aligned properly, it's my next thing to tackle. The motor was pulled just before I bought it to change the oil pan out, and since then (according to the old owner) it hasn't turned what it used to (4800).

What I have learned here is the stock Minx came with a 23p Cleaver. Cleaver props have less bite than the 'big eared' props, so you will turn a higher RPM... assuming you are stock I'd switch to the 23p cleaver. There are some good deals on eBay, it seems to be a very common prop. My brother swears by a cleaver for his 22, and thinks If I switch I'll be much happier as well.

Once I get through the whole boat and have it all checked out with my own eyes/hands I'll know if I need a 23p or 25p cleaver:wink:

ECU Pirate
09-06-2007, 08:03 AM
I guess I will be looking for a 23p cleaver. Sounds like this winters project will be beefing up the old 350 mag, cam, exhaust, head work. Sounds like 350-400 hp is the place to be. Thanks for the input guys.

BUIZILLA
09-06-2007, 08:31 AM
I'm pretty sure I have a good used 22 and a 23 cleaver... :wink:

MOP
09-06-2007, 08:41 AM
Try to borrow a cleaver, you may not like its handling characteristics. A few will attest to the strange side ways lurch when trimming especially with a full boat. I have a small block 22 which when stock ran about the same as a Minx, I tried quite a few props the cleaver was next to the slowest and had the poorest handling and ride. I went from the 3 blade 23 cleaver to a 4 blade Turbo I gained 1/2 MPH, the ride and handling is absolutely great by comparison. The cleaver blew out in turns was harder to plane in my book just plain crappy. The cleaver gave to much stern lift and was poorer in reverse around the docks. Now a caveat I ran cleavers on dual engine boat that were azz heavy and they worked good, I also ran cleavers on several outboards with jacked engines which also ran great. I do not feel cleavers belong on singe engine I/O's, very few up here that have played with props stayed with cleavers. Eh George!!!

Phil

gcarter
09-06-2007, 09:10 AM
Yep, I hated the cleaver.....it was the foulest, most evil handling prop ever on the boat. It would blow out easily and you would have to come to a complete stop before it would hook up again. On more than one occasion w/ a full load, it would roll up on the side at cruising speed going straight.
I tried several others, Turbo I worked well, as did the Hydro (the best), Mirage + had the most chine walking and just downright uncomfortable (Elaine hated it). I tried several of Grizze's props and while a couple were too much for the boat they handled well.

ECU Pirate
09-06-2007, 09:59 AM
I do not want to give up the ride or control quality. Like I said I know little to nothing about props (just what I have read on here). I would like to pick up rpms and speed, while retaining as much of the ride I have now with the Quicksilver 48 23p (was on the Minx when I bought it). Three or four blade? I do not know the advantages. Now the turbo or hydro sounds like a good idea.

gcarter
09-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Do a search on eBay and see how available they are. Look for one w/a rubber hub. Most are solid hubs, and w/an Alpha you need the rubber hub.
Also there are folks around who will let you try a prop or two.

Tim Morris
09-06-2007, 10:47 AM
What elevation is the lake at? I ran a 23 cleaver at about 4800 rpm.

Same, about 60-61mph.

Cuda
09-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Yep, I hated the cleaver.....it was the foulest, most evil handling prop ever on the boat. It would blow out easily and you would have to come to a complete stop before it would hook up again. On more than one occasion w/ a full load, it would roll up on the side at cruising speed going straight.

I never experienced any of those ill handling qualities whatsover. A Minx will roll up on it's side in a turn, no matter what the prop. I had a 20 foot Formula, that I ran a round eared prop on, and I had quite a bit of torque lean. It went away when I put a cleaver on it. I have a 21 pitch cleaver I don't use anymore.

VetteLT193
09-06-2007, 11:55 AM
Not all cleavers are the same either, which could be the problem. And, the heavy rear end of a Big Block 22 probably likes it more than the SB Minx.

To each his own in the end:)

MOP
09-06-2007, 02:14 PM
True all boats are different when it comes to props, it is always a good practice to borrow before you buy. Running out and buying can get expensive, I know I did 3 sets of BIII wheels when I was playing with the Blackhawk drive. With the new Brovo X I went through 4 regular props on the 22 not counting the Turbo 2+2 soon to be tested, a few members benefited from my experiments. Borrow or it is the old "Win some Lose some"!

Phil

ECU Pirate
09-07-2007, 09:31 AM
Had her out yesterday afternoon. Almost no one on the lake. WOT, trimmed out 4600-4800 rpms. My speedometer is not working and I do not have a gps so I do not know the speed probably high 50's or 60 mph. Anyone have an idea of how many gallons an hr the 350 burns in the minx (3500-4100 rpms)

Cuda- I might need to talk to you about that prop.

VetteLT193
09-07-2007, 09:56 AM
Had her out yesterday afternoon. Almost no one on the lake. WOT, trimmed out 4600-4800 rpms. My speedometer is not working and I do not have a gps so I do not know the speed probably high 50's or 60 mph. Anyone have an idea of how many gallons an hr the 350 burns in the minx (3500-4100 rpms)
Cuda- I might need to talk to you about that prop.

If you can spin a big eared 23 to 4600, you'll spin the blades off a 21p cleaver:eek!:

Figure 2" higher pitch for a cleaver will net you the same RPM as a big eared wheel. If you can run that high of RPM and want a cleaver, lean towards a 24p cleaver.