PDA

View Full Version : X-18 Prop

The Hedgehog
09-05-2007, 10:42 AM
I have now tried a 23" Mirage Plus and a Labbed 24" Bravo I. The 383 Mag is getting broken in and I am getting bolder.

So far I have gotten 67 or so out of the M Plus and about 1 mph or so slower on the Bravo I. No real surprise there. Both running around 4,800 rpm. The Mirage Plus has a strong cruise running about 60 at 4,000. I know that I can do better on a cooler day with more seat time.

I have learned some good things about the handling. The Bravo I handled a good bit better with the M Plus liking to chine walk. The M Plus had a ton of bow lift. It appeared to suck the stern down nicely after a point. This induced a chine walk as the out corners of the chine bounced around.

I am wondering what would be good to try next. I am thinking a good three blade with less cup might be the answer. I know that this has been worn out but I have learned that all situations are a little different.

I guess my question is what is comparable to the M Plus with less cup.

mrfixxall
09-05-2007, 10:49 AM
I have now tried a 23" Mirage Plus and a Labbed 24" Bravo I. The 383 Mag is getting broken in and I am getting bolder.
So far I have gotten 67 or so out of the M Plus and about 1 mph or so slower on the Bravo I. No real surprise there. Both running around 4,800 rpm. The Mirage Plus has a strong cruise running about 60 at 4,000. I know that I can do better on a cooler day with more seat time.
I have learned some good things about the handling. The Bravo I handled a good bit better with the M Plus liking to chine walk. The M Plus had a ton of bow lift. It appeared to suck the stern down nicely after a point. This induced a chine walk as the out corners of the chine bounced around.
I am wondering what would be good to try next. I am thinking a good three blade with less cup might be the answer. I know that this has been worn out but I have learned that all situations are a little different.
I guess my question is what is comparable to the M Plus with less cup.

A few people seem to like the turbo1 propeller on their 18..

The Hedgehog
09-05-2007, 10:59 AM
A few people seem to like the turbo1 propeller on their 18..

I have heard that. What are the main differences between the Turbo I and Mirage Plus?

mrfixxall
09-05-2007, 11:29 AM
I have heard that. What are the main differences between the Turbo I and Mirage Plus?

talk to tmdog he tryed them both and from what he said the turbo was nite and day,the boat rode better,handled better and didnt porpos..

MOP
09-05-2007, 11:37 AM
On my 22 which is also a 383 the 3 blade Mirage 23 was about 1.5 MPH slower then my Turbo 4 blade 23 Ultima, my best speed mind you my 383 is very mild is 65.5. I picked a Turbo 2+2 but have not tried is yet, will let you know how it does against the Ultima.

Phil

tmdog
09-05-2007, 12:27 PM
I tried both a M+ and Turbo 1. By far the Turbo gave a better ride and faster. The M+ sucked the stern down and took a beating in moderate waves. Diameter is smaller on Turbo 14 1/4 and M+ 14 5/8. The differences were huge on my 18 when I swapped to the T1. There may other differences such has rake and cup. Presently setting up a 383 and intend to use the T1.

The Hedgehog
09-05-2007, 12:45 PM
It sounds like I need to get my hands on a Turbo. I might know where to do that.

BigGrizzly
09-06-2007, 09:32 AM
The biggest difference is pitch progression, than diameter. The Turbo is more forgiving and doesn't squat the stern as much as the M plus. Wish you had been at Eufaula I had six props in that range RT hand rotation. A four blade wil lose about 1 MPH but handling should improve to off set it.This is all subjective, I prefer the 3 blade on the Criterion for my driving style. I have a 23 TurboI in stock. I dear say when TM dog gets it done we should be testing, since he is only 10 minutes from me and a good friend. The only problem he has is his stuff is too nice looking!!! His trim tabs look like mirrors, his bilge isn't dirty.

The Hedgehog
09-06-2007, 12:54 PM
The biggest difference is pitch progression, than diameter. The Turbo is more forgiving and doesn't squat the stern as much as the M plus. Wish you had been at Eufaula I had six props in that range RT hand rotation. A four blade wil lose about 1 MPH but handling should improve to off set it.This is all subjective, I prefer the 3 blade on the Criterion for my driving style. I have a 23 TurboI in stock. I dear say when TM dog gets it done we should be testing, since he is only 10 minutes from me and a good friend. The only problem he has is his stuff is too nice looking!!! His trim tabs look like mirrors, his bilge isn't dirty.

I wish I had been in Eufaula. For a number of reasons. It sounds like the Turbo will be nice.

I don't have polished trim...yet!