PDA

View Full Version : How to torture your teenager...

Patti
09-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Well we dropped the man child off at his dorm this past Saturday- its tough..no doubt..but he's already got a girlfriend?! lol
Jamie & I had to take video to harass him...it was a rite of passage for me :)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7qVZathewDI

Tony
09-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Patti, it's truly an interesting age. My son has been at MSU for two years and is thinking of transferring to Columbia College Chicago. It's a great school but will cost me (us?) substantially more moolah.

My daughter was certain of her major midway through her first year, while my son is still unsure and searching. We try to counsel/inform/suggest/advise, but it is always best for kids to make their own decisions, too. So...it is a delicate balance.

Does he have a field or program he is looking at? What school is he at? Being close is nice, but sometimes parents can become "helicopter parents", and that is not good. Cell phones are great, though, and are a nice compromise for keeping in touch.

Too bad college tuition is likely to experience major increases in upcoming years, thanks to spineless politicians who refuse to address Michigan's budget crisis. Imagine band-aiding our recent deficit by borrowing against future tobacco settlement money...genius, 'eh? And that was for last year's deficit, it does not even adress the current year budget shortfall.

Good luck...and be ready to bust out the checkbook for a few years to come!

tiger lily
09-05-2007, 01:20 AM
well thats good that hes going to school, hope he has fun and gets out in a timely manner, i myself choose to be a friggin idiot and not continue on in college, got me real far :bonk: now im in the gulf of mexico working my ass off, offshore and wishing i would have listened to everyone, but now i can say to the younger peoples, listen to the parents and do the school, best of luck to him

Patti
09-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Patti, it's truly an interesting age. My son has been at MSU for two years and is thinking of transferring to Columbia College Chicago. It's a great school but will cost me (us?) substantially more moolah.
My daughter was certain of her major midway through her first year, while my son is still unsure and searching. We try to counsel/inform/suggest/advise, but it is always best for kids to make their own decisions, too. So...it is a delicate balance.
Does he have a field or program he is looking at? What school is he at? Being close is nice, but sometimes parents can become "helicopter parents", and that is not good. Cell phones are great, though, and are a nice compromise for keeping in touch.
Too bad college tuition is likely to experience major increases in upcoming years, thanks to spineless politicians who refuse to address Michigan's budget crisis. Imagine band-aiding our recent deficit by borrowing against future tobacco settlement money...genius, 'eh? And that was for last year's deficit, it does not even adress the current year budget shortfall.
Good luck...and be ready to bust out the checkbook for a few years to come!
He's going to Eastern Michigan University..right up the road from MSU :)
His major is elementary education but well, that can change..he wants to teach though. So far he seems to be doing well..I don't hear from him that much and that's tough..and i'm sure i'll get used to it with time. It's amazing though how helpful he's become all of a sudden...he's been helping all the girls move furniture around and fix computers and whatnot..wow..Jamie was stunned when I told him what a good little helper Rob has become :tongue: :lookaroun:

37SR
09-06-2007, 02:11 PM

You could always move down to our neck of the woods - El Dorado, AR - Murphy Oil Company just gave out a $50 million scholarship:eek!: ($5 million for 10 years - expected to last around 20 years with no additional funding) last year in which every graduate of El Dorado high school will receive a full tuition paid scholarship to any college they want to attend. They have agreed to pay up to the highest tuition of any public university in the state of Arkansas but the student can go anywhere they choose in the nation. Several schools have already stepped up and matched saying if a child attends their school, they will fund all housing and books, a full ride just for graduating high school. I believe as long as they graduate with anything over a 2.0 GPA, they are entitled. This town (mainly industrial) had right around 50% of their graduating class go to colleges before this program, the 1st class to receive the gift this year had 88% of their class go to college this fall semester.

Patti
09-06-2007, 02:11 PM
well thats good that hes going to school, hope he has fun and gets out in a timely manner, i myself choose to be a friggin idiot and not continue on in college, got me real far :bonk: now im in the gulf of mexico working my ass off, offshore and wishing i would have listened to everyone, but now i can say to the younger peoples, listen to the parents and do the school, best of luck to him

I'm trying *real* hard to not say anything..I don't want to be TOO overbearing..i'll always be somewhat overbearing..but i'm trying to keep it in check lol :)

Donziweasel
09-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Patti, he looked just thrilled to be taped in his dorm room. :eek!: He is a pretty big guy, ever play football? I know he will do well, he had a great mom!

Patti
09-06-2007, 06:13 PM
Nope..never did get into football but he was on the Track & Field team..did shotput & discus :)
He's about 6 feet tall and has lost a lot of weight past year or so as he got older. I talked to him a bit ago..he actually talked to me for 5 minutes :eek: :eek:..I was shocked. :tongue:

Patti
09-07-2007, 06:50 AM
That'd be U of M..not MSU - my bad :)

Is that better Jamie? :tongue: