PDA

View Full Version : engine hatch for 18'er floats

maddad
09-04-2007, 02:38 PM
And it's a darn good thing too! I was cuising down the channel, dealing with the wakes of the local Sunday armada, when I noticed the engine got much louder. I looked over my shoulder and started to think about where I could get another hatch. There was a thread once, that said a guy would make you a new hatch and even put the scoop of your choice on it. Turns out I don't need a new one though, just have to fix the one I found floating in the middle of a boating rush hour. While I could swear everyone was trying to hit it, nobody did, and I just need to fix the holes in the back where the 4 nuts and washers pulled right through the fiberglass. I made a pair of steel backing plates to put it back together for the rest of the weekend, but a real fix will happen soon. Boy, I was sure I locked the hatch after the gas dock sniff test...

MOP
09-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Michael you need to calm down, no sense blowing your top for nothing!!!!

maddad
09-04-2007, 08:45 PM
Phil, as I hauled the lid back into the boat I thought, this happened a whole lot less when the boat was broken down in the driveway. After that I laughed it off. The damage is not so noticable on my boat. It almost fits right in.
I will need new hinges. When I try to bend that one back, it's going to snap off.

tiger lily
09-05-2007, 01:25 AM
your not the first to loose one, and we found out that they float also, i almost lost mine again this year on a poker run, someone got a picture of us in the river and it was about 3 inches up and ready to go, luckily my dad was in the back seat and saw it out of the corner of us his eye and got it back down and lachted, for some reason mine will vibrate the lacth to the unlock position in real rough water

gcarter
09-05-2007, 05:10 AM
I've seen more than one w/a hole where the hatch came down over the lifting ring. That would have happened to you if you had the later model hinges that screw together. The big hole is fun to repair.

Surfer
09-06-2007, 07:39 AM
Lost mine once during an ocean run, same deal it got alot louder, good reason to have a white boat, rather than sea green.

glashole
09-06-2007, 07:55 AM
the ones on 16's float as well................ :)

MOP
09-06-2007, 08:21 AM
the ones on 16's float as well................ :)

But do the ones on BH's with a hole still float?:shocking: