PDA

View Full Version : Need new 5.7 Chevy engine

Studiomike
09-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Well its time just spotted crack in the side of my block....motor had 400 hours on it so now is the perfect time to upgrade...it 1989 18 2+3 Classic. I am in New Mexico where I dont get much use but plan on retiring end of next summer in Fla Tampa Bay area where I already have home just 1 block off the Gulf in New Port Richey I have lots of questions and I am sure everyone here will be very helpful with info...... 1) what is the best way to go any mfg's that you recommend. I am looking at the Michaganmotorz 5.7 Vortec with 310 hp. It has the OMC King Cobra now. I plan on pulling it myself but have my concerns.... 2) should I have dealer pull the outdrive and reinstall with new U joint and look over the drive? They say the motor should be a plug and play...blocks are the same but am considering a freshwater cooling system while I am at it...... looks like the restoration is about to begin. PLan on new seating and Imron paint..... any suggustions will be appreciated thx in advance. Oh yeah I have the time now but there are very few boat dealers here in Albuquerque NM so I think it best to do it end of next summer. I do have nice jetski to keep me going for a while I know its not the same but at least I can get my feet wet :bonk:

Newby
09-03-2007, 08:50 PM
I bought the same motor from Michiganmotorz in 2004 (vortec). Never had a problem. Nice people to deal with and the shipping to Florida was smooth. The motor ran great out of the crate and had plenty of horsepower and torque compared to the 250 hp that I took out. I used a full freshwater cooling (block and manifolds) from Koolcraft (I think) which was easy to install and always worked great.

Studiomike
09-03-2007, 10:27 PM
thanks for the quick reply THey seem pretty cool.... did you do any work yourself? Not sure how much of it I want to try but I will have the time.....did it just bolt right in like they say?

Newby
09-04-2007, 10:37 AM
I did all of the work myself. Everything they told me was true. You need to be aware when upgrading to a newer setup that if you buy a vortec, you will not likely be able to use your old intake manifold and may need to convert to an electric fuel pump unless you are buying a motor that already includes these items. Otherwise, the installation was very simple.

mrfixxall
09-04-2007, 10:41 AM
ive installed a few from them, their engines are high quality and i havnt had any problems with their products..

VetteLT193
09-04-2007, 01:29 PM
I don't know a whole lot about OMC drives, but assuming they are similar to the merc's I've worked on the drive must come off before you pull the motor and install the new one. (someone chime in if I'm wrong)

While the drive is off, you may as well check everything, including the raw water pump impeller.

After the engine goes in, you'll have to line it up before the drive goes on. Merc's have a specific tool, I assume OMC has one too.