PDA

View Full Version : SBC cooling/plumbing

wagspe208
09-03-2007, 11:07 AM
I searched and couldn't find the exact answer to my question. Here goes, so bear with me.
68 barrelback, v-drive. Sea pump, water pump, wet exhaust.
The plumbing now goes: pickup to seapump, to trans cooler, to thermostat housing, to engine waterpump, to exhaust dumps. It works great. It looks like crap..to many v-belts and hoses.
I'd like to install a cam driven waterpump. This eliminates the sea pump, the water pump, and 2 v-belts, and alot of junk hanging on the engine.
I'd still like to have an engine that runs 160 degrees or so. What are my options. Pickup to cam driven pump to trans cooler to thermostat setup to crossover tube setup to exhaust dumps? So, my bloc will be fed h2o from the crossover tube instead of the water pump. Also, who's thermostat setup looks nice and works well?
Thanks
Wags
Any pictures of plumbing?

wagspe208
09-03-2007, 11:09 AM
In case m objective got lost in the post....I want to "simplify" the front of the engine. Less junk hanging on. SS crossover (looks nice), nice SS or polished thermostast setup. 1 v-belt (or serpentine)(alternator).
Simple, mildly flashy, extremely functional.
Wags

gcarter
09-03-2007, 11:57 AM
You could try a crank driven sea water pump (eliminate 1 belt) and a crossover (eliminate a second belt and the circ pump).

wagspe208
09-03-2007, 05:42 PM
You could try a crank driven sea water pump (eliminate 1 belt) and a crossover (eliminate a second belt and the circ pump).

We're on the same page....will the thermostat setup / aftyermarket alum/ss nice looking thermostat, setup work ok with the crank driven seapump/ cam driven wp? And regulate temp reasonably.
Wags

gcarter
09-03-2007, 06:45 PM
If you have a sea water pump w/plenty of capacity, you don't need a circulation pump....unless you want closed cooling.
Here's a picture of the Minx's engine I sold this spring. Notice the crossover and the mezziere electric circ pump for the closed cooling system.
If you didn't have the heat exchanger, all you need would be the crank driven pump and the crossover.

mrfixxall
09-03-2007, 07:05 PM
Wags i had them both,,i vote for the cam pump..much easier to work on when changing the impeller,especially in a 18...I have the cam sty;e on my x18 rite noe and never gets ablve 130 deg and the impellers last longer too..(somr special rubber) for got the name:bonk:

maddad
09-03-2007, 07:17 PM
I use a crank driven water pump and crossover on my SBC. It keeps temps between 145-160 with a 148* thermostat. The only problem I've had was from the pump sucking air into the system. They draw with a lot of force. Going through all the fittings and gear on the suction side fixed it.

wagspe208
09-03-2007, 09:33 PM
I think a buddy of mine has a nickson 505 a or something like that. I assume that will provide plenty of capacity...just cam driven pump, crossover, and thermostat similar to what I am using?? Sound right?
I have a trans cooler, I will be adding an oil cooler. Still enough capacity?
Thanks guys...you guys rock!
Wags

wagspe208
09-03-2007, 09:34 PM
I use a crank driven water pump and crossover on my SBC. It keeps temps between 145-160 with a 148* thermostat. The only problem I've had was from the pump sucking air into the system. They draw with a lot of force. Going through all the fittings and gear on the suction side fixed it.
There we go...simple setup. 1 belt...serpentine to boot.
Wags