PDA

View Full Version : considering restoration of old 16

longhorizon
09-02-2007, 08:38 PM
I don't really need another project but...

I'm looking at an old 16 sans engine and drive for restoration. I'd be grateful for any time taken to answer some basic questions.

Where can I find the hull number and what will it tell me about year and model?

Any particular hull/deck structural areas to look at for potential major problems?

I intend to use the boat for cruising and wakeboarding. Cost and reliability are definite concerns; authenticity not necessarily for the power unit. Any suggestions for a small V-8 and outdrive combo? I intend to purchase new or reliable factory rebuild.

Many thanks.

longhorizon

Donzigo
09-02-2007, 11:17 PM
Welcome to the zoo!

You'll find all the answers to your questions on this forum. I'm not the guy to answer those questions about Donzi sweet sixtenns. My skill set lies with the Donzi Z-boats. But, there are many others who will provide the appropriate information. A word of warning, these folks are so nice and the boats are so much fun to restore, that you might catch this thing called "Donzi madness".

Good luck.

Magicallbill
09-03-2007, 02:29 AM
Donzigo is correct, as usual..
Lots of info and knowledge on here.

My 2/cents..

It'll take longer than you think and cost more than you think.

We had 2 16 Ski Sporters restored, and love them..Believe me, it's worth the time and trouble.

Sweet little 16
09-03-2007, 08:01 AM
I don't really need another project but...
I'm looking at an old 16 sans engine and drive for restoration. I'd be grateful for any time taken to answer some basic questions.
Where can I find the hull number and what will it tell me about year and model?
Any particular hull/deck structural areas to look at for potential major problems?
I intend to use the boat for cruising and wakeboarding. Cost and reliability are definite concerns; authenticity not necessarily for the power unit. Any suggestions for a small V-8 and outdrive combo? I intend to purchase new or reliable factory rebuild.
Many thanks.
longhorizon

if cost is a concern and you want to cruise and wakeboard find an older master craft or ski boat that will serve you better for your intended purpose.

otherwise you are looking at sinking alot of cash time an aggrevation a quesstamate would be atleast a year, 20K in cash and countless aggrevation.
people who want to restore an old boat their intended purpose is to restore and old boat

but if that doesn't scare you

1. the hull number can be found on the back side of the dash written in marker, up in the front of the bow eye backing plate, a foil tag on the back seat find the number then you'll know what year they pumped out around 125 boats a year up until 1968 or so then it slowed down

2. problems to look for in an old 16

the gas tank will need to be replaced in any boat prior to 71 and some 71 and newer will need to be replaced as well

coring on the deck and the wood in the transom
not to mention general layup in the early boats are going to be really stressed with new HP in them, you'll need to reinforce

3. new power drive well if you are not going to repower with the original drive most likely you'll need to do transom work but that takes the guess if the transom is solid cause you'll need to re-do it anyway plus you are going to need some kind of tow eye back there which will need to be supported and braced

for power if you want reliabilty go SBC and a volvo or a SBC and a bravo especially if you want to wakeboard plus the trim is a must and the addition of trim tabs also the was you can create more of a wake plus you won't porpoise at slower speeds

then you have the whole cosmetic thing too

I wouldn't restore I would find a newer 16 or 18 and save some time and money

MOP
09-03-2007, 08:40 AM
I have to agree on just buying a decent working boat, I am guessing that speed is not a big concern. You may want to consider a later model with a V6 they will top out in the lower 50's, they will ski & tube just fine and be quite economical. The V6 boats can be bought a fair bet cheaper then a V8.

Phil

rustnrot
09-03-2007, 10:01 AM
I too will toss in my two cents as well. Having been there done that you WILL if you do it right, have $20k in a boat that will be worth maybe $12-15k when done. No, that does not count your labor!

After having restored several wooden boats and one 16 Donzi, the math is simple..I have a spreadsheet I use and, when you get a new engine and drive (that is $9k right there) add $1.5k for a new trailer (I do not redo old trailers anymore that actually costs more), bare hull for $1500 at the outset, rechroming and hardware $2k. Gas tank, upholstery, epoxy, paint or gel, etc. and myriad other parts to rig and you WILL be at $20k before it is over.
Now if you want a neat project and want to prove to yourself and others you can do it, fine. In my case we did a 1967 16' v drive, it simply cannot be bought new or nearly new so it was worth it....I guess...

What I like about the Donzi Classics, is you can go out and buy a very nice 10 year old 16 for around $10k, turn-key that looks just like it came out of the 1960's! That is virtually unheard of in the Car World (new Mustang an exception--but even that is not virtually identical to the original 1960's model).

If you go ahead and do this you will find alot of expertise here, but if this is your first boat, expect it to take YEARS and also expect to do everything twice. YMMV.

longhorizon
09-06-2007, 09:30 PM
All points well taken, and appreciated.
No, it won't be my first boat and yes, the process would be part of the motivation.
That having been said, I am a bit less enthused, reading the posts and looking again at the boat.
I do believe it to be a geniune Donzi but I could not locate a hull number. The center part of the dash has been cut out and replaced with a graft of one sort or another. I didn't crawl all the way forward to the bow. Is that hull numbe inside the boat in the hull or under deck of fitting? There is no metal tag on or near the rear seat.
Would the following help in identifying vintage?
Helm on port side of boat, wrap around seating for the rest.
I don't believe there is coring in the deck. Looks like straight lay-up.
Once had a metal script on both sides reading 'Donzi Marine'.

Does the deck need to be pulled in order to remove the tank?

Thank you again.

longhorizon

LKSD
09-07-2007, 12:41 AM
The deck comes off to pull the tank the right way. Also yourre better off anyway because you will want to check the frames. :yes: Jamie / Lakeside

Spenceman
09-14-2007, 03:54 PM
There are some 16 ft boats out there with good running gear and trailers but need gel finish restore. I don't know what that would cost but I can't believe it would be more than a grand.
Spenceman

LKSD
09-14-2007, 04:35 PM
Unless you are talking about wet sanding, compounding & polishing it, 1k wont get you far at all. To regelcoat or repaint a 16' boat would cost several $$ K if done properly by a pro using quality products/materials... If someone is offering you a 1k regelcoat or repaint job parts & labor RUN AWAY!!..

:) Jamie / Lakeside