PDA

View Full Version : How hot should the Dana exhaust risers be??

KerrLake
09-01-2007, 07:45 PM
We started the new engine today for the 1st time and I didn't know how hot the Dana riser should feel to the touch. They felt much hotter than the old exhaust for sure. Temp gauge was reading a normal temp. I have not water tested yet, only on the hose. There did seem to be a considerable amount of water coming through the exhaust, so I don't think it is restricted. By the way, the boat sounds awesome.
Brian

mrfixxall
09-01-2007, 08:48 PM
We started the new engine today for the 1st time and I didn't know how hot the Dana riser should feel to the touch. They felt much hotter than the old exhaust for sure. Temp gauge was reading a normal temp. I have not water tested yet, only on the hose. There did seem to be a considerable amount of water coming through the exhaust, so I don't think it is restricted. By the way, the boat sounds awesome.
Brian

mabe jamie (lakeside)will share his secrets with you about how to fix the issues with the dana exhaust and i know its common and could be deadly to youe engine if not corrected..

Carl C
09-01-2007, 08:54 PM
My headers get hot on the hose but run cool on the water. There is a lot more water flow at higher rpms I figure. See how hot they are after a run.

MOP
09-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Analogy engine is running 150-170! That water goes into a manifold pre heated then the manifold adds a guess 20-30 degrees! My Gils on a hose are down right uncomfortable, they have been that way for "3" years, but then again my Osco's on my 302 were damn hot too! My 2 cents don;t worry about it it is VERY normal!

Phil

blueliner
09-02-2007, 09:04 AM
anyone have any issues with their water pressure gauge after installing headers??? mine doesn't work right now. correct me if i'm wrong. but that clear super thin hose that comes off the back of the engine(496 ho) is the pressure hose??? when i look at it it looks like there is some air in it (i can see some water but not a lot. when revvin the engine doesn't appear to be any more going through the tube. i know that it works on back pressure... has the cmi's, since the water is just flowing through now, is it unrestricted and causing my gauge to fail??? or what else could be causing it. i have no movement on it at all. my tech and i drove around all day yesterday, temp was fine, evrything else is fine. damn, the dual ram full hydraulic steering is sweet!!!! only complaint is less manuverability with the new steering( can't make as tight a turn) oh yeah the headers sounds unreal!!!!
thanks in advance

LKSD
09-02-2007, 09:12 AM
Ahhh.. My secrets are my secrets.. lol.. :D

I will tell you that the Dana kits do run a bit warmer than most stock exhausts.. That being said if one runs much hottter than the other you will need to engineer a way to force more water to the other side.. This will Balance the temps.. It is more critical on the 496's because of the cooling system & its sensors. My concern for flow would not be at an idle, but at speed & WOT.. Do a run for a bit like that & then instantly stop & check both manifolds & risers. If they are close in temp you are Ok.. If they are not you need to balance the flow out to even the temps.. I would say if they are more than 20* apart then you need to consider balancing the temps better. If they are close to 20* or less you are fine.. Again there are many exhausts that can run hotter to the touch than the stock systems, you just dont want them too hot... I hope this helps. :) Jamie

BTW: MOP I just did another set of the Gil offshores this week on a 500hp we built & they too run rather warm on the top of the riser (borderline uncomfortable) even though they have excellent waterflow thru both at all speeds.. So I would say yours to are normal.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

gcarter
09-02-2007, 09:28 AM
I think there's a bit of air caught at the top of the risers/headers so that area could be hotter. I noticed on my (new to me) Gil Magnum choice risers that it seems all the water exits at the top of the riser (the top of the exhaust output) whereas on the Stainless Marine risers, there were exit holes all the way around the exhausts.

The Hedgehog
09-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Got Dana's with the Vortex risers on the 502. And yes, they are a good bit hotter than the stock manifold. I have put about 10 hours on them. No problem so far.