PDA

View Full Version : Boating Tunes

steven s
08-31-2007, 08:46 PM
I was just thinking of what would make up the ultimate boat music selection.In your opinion what would you put on a cd if you had to listen to 20 songs.

chappy
08-31-2007, 08:53 PM
"Fuel" by Metallica.

Carl C
08-31-2007, 08:57 PM
I like to relax when lounging in the boat so I tend to play my mellower music. Stuff like Tom Jones and Neil Diamond that you've never heard of. I keep a few rock CDs handy though so folks won't think I'm a total fogey. So you'll also find some Gorillaz & Bloodhound Gang on board. Hank Williams III is a boat favorite too. At least one cut from each of those would be on my list.

steven s
08-31-2007, 09:06 PM
I listen to alot of older stuff because when I was younger and me and my dad would go fishing he would play the song he grew up with.I just kept listening to it.

ChromeGorilla
08-31-2007, 09:07 PM
Bob Marley
Jimmy Buffet
Allman Brothers

Maybe some Manfred Mann.....

LGMAZ
08-31-2007, 10:39 PM
Van Halen "Unchained"

Cuda
08-31-2007, 11:10 PM
I like to relax when lounging in the boat so I tend to play my mellower music. Stuff like Tom Jones and Neil Diamond

Carl, please seek proffesional help before it's too late!:eek!::wink:

Cuda
08-31-2007, 11:13 PM
I'd have Kid Rock (just listened to one driving back from Daytona tonight), Shaggy's Hotshot (it was in the cd player when I bought the 242, and we couldn't figure how to get it out, so now Shaggy always reminds me of riding in the 242. I had never even heard of Shaggy before that :) )

ChromeGorilla
08-31-2007, 11:28 PM
...and of course sometimes a lil Looking Glass.....
and some Atlanta Rhythm Section...... sprinkled with some Marshall tucker Band....
Cant go wrong with styx or Jim Croce either....
and of course Gordon Lightfoot.

DonCig
08-31-2007, 11:37 PM
It is my preference to listen to the drone of a smooth runnning engine when in a boat, plane or motorcycle;

But;

If I had to play a song that always makes me drive just a little faster every time I hear it, it would be:

"Call me the Breeze"; performed by none other than Lynyrd Skynyrd.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B00004RCW1001007/103-1472438-6406223

ChromeGorilla
08-31-2007, 11:39 PM
Doncig has it right.... only the music comng out the exhaust tips when running..... all aforementioned tunage is while at anchor/beached or tied up having rum runners....:yes:

mrfixxall
09-01-2007, 01:09 AM
Big n rich,,chicks dig the save a horse,,ride a cowboy song..

goatee
09-01-2007, 01:47 AM
tough call,,,,i guess it doesnt matter, whatever you like.
although,,,:boat: <---this is more jimmy buffet...doing 65 across the waves in an 18 donzi is more like "bread fan" by metallica...and if you havent done that? you need to! trust me.

Carl C
09-01-2007, 06:17 AM
Carl, please seek proffesional help before it's too late!:eek!::wink: I guess it's a good thing I didn't mention Kenny G then! My music tastes are all over the place but "Tom Jone's greatest hits" has been in the boat since I bought it!

DonCig
09-01-2007, 06:55 AM
I guess it's a good thing I didn't mention Kenny G then! My music tastes are all over the place but "Tom Jone's greatest hits" has been in the boat since I bought it!
Carl, I make it a point of NEVER making fun on ones musical tastes....................But..................... ....you are pushing me to my limits.............LOL

Just having some fun so please do not throw away your Tom Jones CD's

Barry Eller
09-01-2007, 06:58 AM
Parrothead stuff for sure, ZZ Top, Eric Clapton, Santana, Pink Floyd.

Classic Rock Rules.

JUST SAY NO TO BARRY MANILOW!!!

Carl C
09-01-2007, 07:00 AM
Carl, I make it a point of NEVER making fun on ones musical tastes....................But..................... ....you are pushing me to my limits.............LOL
Just having some fun so please do not throw away your Tom Jones CD's I don't wanna hear any more crap until you put full external hydraulic steering on both of those ".99" mph boats. You are endangering everyone you know! My TJ is only causing a little noise pollution.:wink:

DonCig
09-01-2007, 07:04 AM
I don't wanna hear any more crap until you put full external hydraulic steering on both of those ".99" mph boats. You are endangering everyone you know! My TJ is only causing a little noise pollution.:wink:

Carl, I have to bring you up to speed on the latest news:
Sold my Classic 18 without power yesterday.
Sold the Cigarette 20 earlier this week.

Heading out today to finalize the purchase of a 90+ mph Classic 22 with full power steering.
Now here is the funny part; I am going to spend money to detune this boat and slow it down to 80.5 mph (So Roadtrip can stay TopDog); and you are spending money to speed yours up. Shouldn't we just trade some parts and both save some money?

P.S. - The boat used to have DRY pipes on it, but the Noise Police would no longer let the previous owner launch the boat at the public ramp.

Threw away my only Tom Jones CD this morning.

Currently listening to my Sammy Haggar "I can't drive 55" single at full blast this morning,
http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B0002KQOG2001012/103-1472438-6406223

That is this weeks news:

Your friend,

Don

Carl C
09-01-2007, 08:08 AM
Carl, I have to bring you up to speed on the latest news:
Sold my Classic 18 without power yesterday.
Sold the Cigarette 20 earlier this week.
Heading out today to finalize the purchase of a 90+ mph Classic 22 with full power steering.
Now here is the funny part; I am going to spend money to detune this boat and slow it down to 80.5 mph (So Roadtrip can stay TopDog); and you are spending money to speed yours up. Shouldn't we just trade some parts and both save some money?
P.S. - The boat used to have DRY pipes on it, but the Noise Police would no longer let the previous owner launch the boat at the public ramp.
Threw away my only Tom Jones CD this morning.
Currently listening to my Sammy Haggar "I can't drive 55" single at full blast this morning,
http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B0002KQOG2001012/103-1472438-6406223
That is this weeks news:
Your friend,
DonWow, congratulations. I assume it's a blown BBC? Or maybe a small block/Alpha package from TD. What are you going to do to detune it? I'm gonna play some Eminem and Jibbs this morning. Scissor Sisters too! You guys can't handle it!. Gonna be late for work again because of this site, later.

DonCig
09-01-2007, 09:27 AM
Wow, congratulations. I assume it's a blown BBC? Or maybe a small block/Alpha package from TD. What are you going to do to detune it? I'm gonna play some Eminem and Jibbs this morning. Scissor Sisters too! You guys can't handle it!. Gonna be late for work again because of this site, later.

Supposedly a naturally aspirated 7,200 rpm 454 stroked to 496 BBC. Can you say nasty time bomb. Still debating the final outcome on the enigne; I think I will pass and just buy the boat without the engine.

Going to stick my SBC in the 22 with a bravo drive and slow down and smell the roses; Guns and Roses that is!

Don

f_inscreenname
09-01-2007, 10:25 AM
When the boat is going all I can hear is the sweet sounds (most of the time) of a V-8 big block but when I get home I put my pictures to music.
Check'em out http://www.supernova19.com/id24.htm

chappy
09-01-2007, 10:45 AM
Halford with 'Priest, good chit.:cool:

Rich

goatee
09-01-2007, 11:41 AM
"breakin the law"...

gcarter
09-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Elaine doesn't like music on a boat (music was her major in college...go figure) and I don't care either way so I guess we're in "listen to the exhust" segment.

Sweet little 16
09-02-2007, 12:03 PM
ac dc

who made who
thunderstruck
tnt
highway to hell
hell bells
back in black

stevie ray vaughn

flooding in texas
tightrope
crossfire
house is a rockin

molly hatchet

flirtin with disaster

the miami vice sound track (show)
the miami vice theme( had this on my I-pod at the start of the poker run at the dustoff way over the top kinda of awesome while running with all the classics)
bad to the bone
smugglers blues
turn up the radio

when we mellow out

cmdr cody

hot rod lincoln

chuck berry

mayblene
no particular place to go
johnny b good

for the most part we only listen to tunes when a drift the mr likes to hear the v8 symphony and won't wear earphones while under way so the i pod i listen too and when we stop it goes into the i pod docking station so we can both hear it

jl1962
09-02-2007, 12:12 PM
C'mon - check the calendar: It's ZEP-TEMBER!!!!!

Chuck Berry always good too - Maybelline if the boat won't start or the Stones The Last Time......

JL
:lightning

Cuda
09-02-2007, 01:40 PM
Doncig has it right.... only the music comng out the exhaust tips when running..... all aforementioned tunage is while at anchor/beached or tied up having rum runners....:yes:
I listen to the exhaust too. Not one of my boats has a radio/cd player in it currently. I'm not much of one for beaching, or rafting off. If I'm in the boat, I want to be running. If I want to go to the beach, I'll drive my truck.:eek!:

Cuda
09-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Big n rich,,chicks dig the save a horse,,ride a cowboy song..
That's probably Debbie's favorite band. You might say she's a bit countryfied.:wink:

Cuda
09-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Just having some fun so please do not throw away your Tom Jones CD's
I believe you are required to get a permit from the EPA to dispose of that hazardous material anyway. Better hold on to them. :)

Formula Jr
09-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Oh thats an easy list if you don't want to listen to the roar of a V8 engine.....
Some suggestions:
Fat Bottomed Girls - Queen
Girls Just Want to Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper
We Don't have to Take Our Clothes off - Jermaine Stewart
Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy - Bette Midler
Hero - Enrique Iglasias
Sex U up - Colour Me badd
Holiday - Madonna
Dancing Queen - ABBA
Karma Chamelion - Culture Club
Lets get Physical - Olivia Newton John
Getting Jiggy with It - George Michael
Its raining men - The Weather Girls
Wake Me Up before you Go Go - Wham
Oh l'Amour - Erasure
In the Navy - Village People.
Hangin Tough - New Kids on the Block
Oops, I did it again - Britney Spears
Don't forget my number - Milli Vanilli
Bliss - Mariah Carey
Anything by Yanni
:wink:

ChromeGorilla
09-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Oh thats an easy list if you don't want to listen to the roar of a V8 engine.....
Some suggestions:
Fat Bottomed Girls - Queen
Girls Just Want to Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper
We Don't have to Take Our Clothes off - Jermaine Stewart
Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy - Bette Midler
Hero - Enrique Iglasias
Sex U up - Colour Me badd
Holiday - Madonna
Dancing Queen - ABBA
Karma Chamelion - Culture Club
Lets get Physical - Olivia Newton John
Getting Jiggy with It - George Michael
Its raining men - The Weather Girls
Wake Me Up before you Go Go - Wham
Oh l'Amour - Erasure
In the Navy - Village People.
Hangin Tough - New Kids on the Block
Oops, I did it again - Britney Spears
Don't forget my number - Milli Vanilli
Bliss - Mariah Carey
Anything by Yanni

Wait a minute...... you actually ended up with one GOOD song on your satirical list!!!!

Fat Bottom girls is great. Can't go wrong with Queen..... Freddy may have been a pickle smoocher but that dude could make some music!:yes:

Formula Jr
09-02-2007, 06:37 PM
humm... on consideration, you are correct CG.

Please substitute said Queen song with:

I'm too Sexy - Right Said Fred

Formula Jr
09-03-2007, 04:18 AM
Steve.. just get an Evanescence cd.... see how that works..

:)

I've done the ear phone thingy with boats at speed so I shouldn't be so hard on you dear member. You are just asking a question.

Music is a very personal thing. I've flown across flat water at 70 mph in a morning light with Mobie. That was perfect. I've hit bad days in The Bay where ZZ Top made the most sense.

Your music, is your music...Tell us what your 20 songs would be...

chappy
09-03-2007, 09:13 AM
"Red Barchetta" by Rush

steven s
09-03-2007, 09:10 PM
My 20 songs woul be...:eek!:Caution Watch for horrible Spelling:eek!:

In the air tonight,Phil Collins
Hotel California,Eagles
Bad to the bone,ZZ top
A Pirate Looks at forty,Jimmy Buffett
Changes In Lattitudes,Jimmey Buffett
One Particular Harbour,Jimmy Buffett
Paradise City,Guns n Roses
We Built this City,Journey
Danger Zone,Kenny Loggins
Wanted Dead or Alive,Bon Jovi
Turn the Beat Around,Gloria Estefan
Brass Monkey,Beastie Boys
Piano Man,Billy Joel
Taxi,Harry Chapin
Another One Bites the Dust,Queen
Bad Boys(Theme from COPS),Inner Circle
Bat out of Hell,Meat Loaf
Get up Stand up,Bob Marley
Carry on my Wayward Son,Kansas
Powerslave,Iron Maiden

Some songs are just up there because I grew up with them.Some because they were playing when something intresting happend.Like with Taxi By Harry chapin It was playing coming in the palm beach inlet and my dad hit a wave and we landed on a floating channel marker that was astray in the middle of the inlet.And some songs because they are great songs.

ChromeGorilla
09-04-2007, 07:58 AM
We Built this City,Journey

..... Starship...not Journey......:wink:

goatee
09-04-2007, 10:20 AM
i was gonna,,,,but i just let it go.

steven s
09-04-2007, 03:38 PM
..... Starship...not Journey......:wink:

Thanks

Carl C
09-04-2007, 05:15 PM
Going to stick my SBC in the 22 with a bravo drive and slow down and smell the roses No more grudge matches.......:( I listened to a Johnny Cash tribute CD and The Doors today in the boat. While not running of course.

florida gator
09-06-2007, 02:39 PM
Bob Marley
Jimmy Buffet
Allman Brothers
Maybe some Manfred Mann.....

Play the Buffet full blast while running through your nearest Manattee Zone!!!

florida gator
09-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Any Sublime. I have several mixed cd's but 1 with nothing but Sublime.

Formula Jr
09-07-2007, 02:36 AM
I got stuck in my own time period of music. Which is also 30 to 20 years ago.

I'm now only 10 years old in my tastes........

Thankfully, I have a 16 year old nephew feeding me the good stuff. So I don't feel so feable about the music. I can't believe I'm 49 years old... and that all the people I listen to, are, "gone bands", in their thirties now.

time happens if you are looking or not.....

What speed is the music?

Idle to 25?

26 to 45?

45 to 65?

65 to 100?

If you can hear music past 100, I salute your music system...

Carl C
09-07-2007, 06:01 AM
I got stuck in my own time period of music. Which is also 30 to 20 years ago.

I'm now only 10 years old in my tastes........

Thankfully, I have a 16 year old nephew feeding me the good stuff. So I don't feel so feable about the music. I can't believe I'm 49 years old... and that all the people I listen to, are, "gone bands", in their thirties now.

time happens if you are looking or not.....

What speed is the music?

Idle to 25?

26 to 45?

45 to 65?

65 to 100?

If you can hear music past 100, I salute your music system... Music is for while lounging. The motor makes the sweet music while running. I'm a music dealer and that's how I keep up with the new stuff. Check out the "Scissor Sisters". I still listen to The Doors, Beatles etc but not much from the 80s or 90s. There is some good new music but you must wade through a lot of Green Day clones to find it.:)

chappy
09-07-2007, 07:25 AM
Music is for while lounging. The motor makes the sweet music while running. I'm a music dealer and that's how I keep up with the new stuff. Check out the "Scissor Sisters". I still listen to The Doors, Beatles etc but not much from the 80s or 90s. There is some good new music but you must wade through a lot of Green Day clones to find it.:)

The first time I heard Green Day, I thought I was listening to lost Ramones or Sex Pistols tracks. I guess that makes Green Day clones of earlier bands?:biggrin.:
Great thread Steven, thanks.

Rich

P.S. Owen is right, music taste is very personal.

steven s
09-07-2007, 05:49 PM
\ I have several mixed cd's .

Cd's do not last long in the ocean.Since my ipod got damaged in my pocket during a football game.I burn a cd for every fishing trip.When we went to the bahamas in the magnum from grand cay to green turtle I ran threw 4 cd's in a day.There were no yacht waves!

hardcrab
09-07-2007, 07:52 PM
what, no blues fans here ?
howza 'bout some Nighthawks, Popa Chubby, John Mayall, Little Charlie, Howlin Wolf, B.B. King, Rod Piazza, Duke Robilard, Paul Butterfield, Taj Mahal, Rory Gallegher, ................. ?

Then ya got Hot Tuna, John Hiatt, John Prine, Southern Culture on the skids, Hank III, and Grateful Dead for desert. :cool!::cool!::cool!:

florida gator
09-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Cd's do not last long in the ocean.Since my ipod got damaged in my pocket during a football game.I burn a cd for every fishing trip.When we went to the bahamas in the magnum from grand cay to green turtle I ran threw 4 cd's in a day.There were no yacht waves!

Your rigth about them not lasting. Which is why I started saving my mixes when I burn one. Much like you, I would much rather loose a cd than an ipod.