PDA

View Full Version : performance bus

glashole
08-31-2007, 12:23 PM
As some of you know I am a professional bus racer in my spare time :)
(kind of a charity thing for kids at the local speedway)

my bus has a 366 chevy efi motor

the problem is the governor makes it act like a golf cart in that it pulls really hard until it hits a specific speed and stops pulling until the speed decreases

I have changed the computer to one out of a van and it seems to not do anything different

would anyone know any other way to get rid of this governor?
is it in the computer?

what type or model of car should I look for the computer out of?

the race is next weekend

BUIZILLA
08-31-2007, 12:35 PM
does it have ABS brakes ???

that wire triggers the speed sensor governor regulation

clip it... :wink:

glashole
08-31-2007, 01:00 PM
that would make sense because as it is spudering the ABS light is flashing

what would i look for to find that?

BUIZILLA
08-31-2007, 01:07 PM
depending on the chassis builder,,, it's usually located on the rear end pumpkin, or one of the front wheel brake rotors... the Hall Effect pickup counts the teeth and computes the ABS operation and that is also tied into the speedo signal.

cutwater
08-31-2007, 01:16 PM
Buiz - does this mean that ABS systems have a dedicated wire just for an over-speed signal? Otherwise you couldn't just "clip it" right? Also, does the wire need to be grounded or just left floating?

RedDog
08-31-2007, 01:45 PM
I have a spare chip out of a HP laptop that you could put in your hyper-regulator?

BUIZILLA
08-31-2007, 01:54 PM
ABS brakes on a bus on a race track????

uh, pullleeeeeeezzzee :cool:

some had two wires, most just had one, and the one wire did double duty

cutwater
08-31-2007, 02:23 PM
ABS brakes on a bus on a race track????
uh, pullleeeeeeezzzee :cool:

Very true. I was thinking about more than just buses :shades:

glashole
08-31-2007, 02:36 PM
so

whatever wires are there cut them? :confused:

BUIZILLA
08-31-2007, 02:47 PM
Identify the location od the sensor first, check for number of wires.... pretty sure you'll only find one wire.... leave some meat if you choose to reconnect it later if the bus is too fast for you... :cool:

this should work

glashole
08-31-2007, 03:09 PM
thank you good sir I will give it a shot and see what happens :)

have a great weekend! :):)

MOP
08-31-2007, 03:10 PM
Shea you are a pistol you never cease to amaze me, can't wait for next 1K and bus war stories! Have a great weekend!

Phil

Cuda
08-31-2007, 11:22 PM
We had a sheriff either get killed, or killed someone racing buses at the Volusia County Raceway last year. It was a charity race that the sheriff's put on each year. :(

Be careful.

mrfixxall
09-01-2007, 01:13 AM
As some of you know I am a professional bus racer in my spare time :)
(kind of a charity thing for kids at the local speedway)
my bus has a 366 chevy efi motor
the problem is the governor makes it act like a golf cart in that it pulls really hard until it hits a specific speed and stops pulling until the speed decreases
I have changed the computer to one out of a van and it seems to not do anything different
would anyone know any other way to get rid of this governor?
is it in the computer?
what type or model of car should I look for the computer out of?
the race is next weekend

Get rid of the throttle body and get one off of a 88 to 95 454..the governer is in the throttle body on the 366/427 and may need to be rewired also.

pmreed
09-01-2007, 03:43 PM
That was the Lake County Sheriff who died last year driving in a charity event, Joe. Daniels I think. Keep buckled up!!

Phil

BUIZILLA
09-01-2007, 05:14 PM
got in a conversation today with a school's mechanic.... those throttle body's also used a vacuum switch off the tranny and distributor, when the tranny is in high gear and the rpm hits a certain level the tranny vacuum solenoid closes the throttle body acting like a cutoff at it's appointed spec. check for that too, he said the previous engines with Holleys used to close the front blades that way

glashole
09-07-2007, 08:10 AM
I haven't had much of a chance to do any wrenching on the bus this past week but I will try to check for the things you were saying

the life of a bus racer isn't all fame and fortune like you would think

getting a new throttle body and reprogramming the computer might be the next step for the next race there just isn't enough time since i have procrastinated so long

thanks again i will let you know how we make out :)

FISHIN SUCKS
09-10-2007, 02:04 PM
I had no idea we had so much in common, you know, with you bein' Canadian and everything:canada::bonk:! I was in the 'street-bus' racing series back in 1990:pimp:...fastest bus:lightning in all of Muncie, IN (probably in the whole world:wink:). Me and #92 didn't lose to nobody...beer trucks, pop trucks, school buses, city buses, dump trucks, garbage trucks...we didn't lose to anything!!! What was it you ask:confused:???? It was the short-bus, Wayne chasis, Dayton-spoke wheels, 4 on the floor (3rd gear went out middle of spring semester through the end of school and still never lost a round at a traffic light). Yea, I had six kids on my bus...all by different mothers of course:yes::yes::yes:!

You keep those pipes clean on your boat and maybe I'll teach you a thing or two on how to be a fast bus driver:wink:!

Your friend tom