PDA

View Full Version : high rpm miss

maddad
08-30-2007, 06:23 AM
My motor was missing at high rpm's, over 5000. Then yesterday, I'm cruising along at 4500 and it shuts off with a sputter. The rotor in my MSD distributer undid both its hold down screws, and spun it so it looked like a maypole with the wires wrapped around it. When I dumped the debris out of the insides, the washers were still on and in the right direction.
Anyone else ever see this happen?

BUIZILLA
08-30-2007, 07:13 AM
yup....

been there...

I now carry a spare cap and rotor everywhere the Critter goes... that MSD product is crap, the cap does NOT fit the distributor base correctly, therefore it won't center the rotor in the cap correctly, and the cap won't fit the locating tang tightly either, the slightest wiggle, and viola it's a mess, it's not a rotor problem, it's the cap....

MOP
08-30-2007, 09:35 AM
Hey Mike are ya having fun yet?:wrench::smash:

mrfixxall
08-30-2007, 10:02 AM
yup....
been there...
I now carry a spare cap and rotor everywhere the Critter goes... that MSD product is crap, the cap does NOT fit the distributor base correctly, therefore it won't center the rotor in the cap correctly, and the cap won't fit the locating tang tightly either, the slightest wiggle, and viola it's a mess, it's not a rotor problem, it's the cap....

YEPPERS!!! I HAVE A FIX FOR THAT PEOBLEM,,FILE THE EDGES ON THE ROTOR OR SHOULD I SAY ROUND THEM OFF AND FILE THE TIP OF THE ROTOE DOWN ABOUT .010..:wink:

OR SWITCH TO THE FORD STYLE CAP...

maddad
08-30-2007, 10:27 AM
I'm going to stick with the MSD for now, but will ease a few edges and use some loctite on the new parts.
Phil, I'm having the time of my life with all the extra power. Right up to the time I want to sink it on the spot, that is.

mrfixxall
08-30-2007, 11:04 AM
I'm going to stick with the MSD for now, but will ease a few edges and use some loctite on the new parts.
Phil, I'm having the time of my life with all the extra power. Right up to the time I want to sink it on the spot, that is.

MEANING,,you can still use your msd dist,they have a adaptor that converts it to a ford style cap...

maddad
08-30-2007, 11:11 AM
MEANING,,you can still use your msd dist,they have a adaptor that converts it to a ford style cap...
Thanks, I'm going to look into that. I just went to the garage and compared my MSD ford dist. to the chevy, and the ford cap seats much tighter.

maddad
09-04-2007, 01:40 PM
Since this problem with MSD isn't so odd, has anyone had this happen also?
After I put the new cap and rotor on and was about to reinstall, I notice 3 teeth on the dist. gear are not where they should be.:eek!: I checked the cams gears with a high intensity light, dental mirror and probe. No marks or nicks anywhere, so I changed the dist. gear, put the strongest magnet I could find on the back/bottom of the oil pan, and went boating. 8 hrs. and over 200 miles this weekend and it's still holding up. Can I consider this problem behind me, or do I need to give it more attention?

BUIZILLA
09-04-2007, 02:23 PM
You need to visit your friendly Chubby dealer...

ask for a 10456413 distributor gear

anything else is just an imposter...

BERTRAM BOY
09-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Are you using a GM hydraulic roller camshaft?

maddad
09-04-2007, 02:49 PM
Buizilla, will that part work with my MSD dist.? And if it does, will it wreck the gears on the cam the next time this happens? Or will it just not spit teeth when I switch to that gear?
Bertram Boy, my cam is a comp hydraulic flat tappet.

BUIZILLA
09-04-2007, 02:54 PM
Buizilla, will that part work with my MSD dist.? I have one on an MSD with a mousey motor and an MSD with a ratty motor, seems fine for me, at least for the last 4 or 5 years...

maddad
09-04-2007, 03:04 PM
Thanks! That will be changed shortly.