PDA

View Full Version : Mmm, Mmm, Good!

Cuda
08-29-2007, 08:06 PM
Mmmm. I'm sitting here eating spahgetti and meatballs made with ground elk for meatballs. That stuff is off the chain!

I'm not suppose to eat red meat (tryglicerides), but elk is so lean, I doubt it will hurt me. We had some shoulder last week that was fantastic! I don't like venison, because I don't like the gamey taste of it, but there is none of that in elk

John, will have have room for one extra on your next elk hunt? I'm probably not physically fit enough to do it, but I can send Debbie with a 35 Whelen!:wink:

Donziweasel
08-30-2007, 07:44 AM
Cuda, glad you liked it. Had a tenderloin with bernaise the other night and I ate so much I felt like a beached whale. Haven't heard from too many others about the elk. Buiz had an elk sloppy joe the other day he said was good and I think MP had some burgers this past weekend. Oh yeah, Grizz had a good roast. Lean and healthy.

Send Debbie on up!:) We are setting up hunting camp on Sept 12. Deer season opens the 15th and elk the 25th. I got an antelope permit this year and if anyone wants to try some, can ship a little out. Debbie is a good enough shot that she only needs one bullet? Better not ever upset her Cuda!:wink::eek!::bonk:

Some of you guys who like to hunt should put in for a permit in our area. Always looking for someone to hunt. We have a nice setup, wall tents with stoves, generators, 4-wheelers, and the best part, horses. Actually taking the horse into the Wind River Range this weekend for a 5 day pack trip. The Winds have over 2000 lakes, most with fish that have never seen flies. Get them horses some exercise and get me a big fat golden trout!:) Will post pics next Tuesday!

Glad you liked the elk Cuda, should I put you down on the list again for next years shipment?:wink:

BUIZILLA
08-30-2007, 07:52 AM
had elk stew yesterday for lunch

mmmmmmm. yummy

fegettes
08-30-2007, 10:28 AM
Spaghetti and elk meat sauce has been on my mind for a week now. I just took a package out of the freezer last night. Come tomorrow, it will happen.

I have had some elk cooked up with some bacon toothpicked to the side over the grill and it was excellent.

Cuda, try soaking your venison in a bowl of milk overnight before you cook it. It should remove most of the gamey taste.

Steve

Donziweasel
08-30-2007, 12:15 PM
Glad everyone is enjoying it. MP, and to think, Heidi was the one who didn't like your local deer!:eek!: Hopefully it will be a good hunt this year and I will have plenty more next year for everyone.

I apply for a Moose and Buffalo tag every year and I should be getting close to drawing one next year! Moose and Buffalo wiegh close to 2000 pounds, should have plenty to spread around if I could ever draw the damn tag.

BigGrizzly
08-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Elk is good Had buffolo years ago and i though it was beef.

Cuda
08-30-2007, 03:22 PM
Glad everyone is enjoying it. MP, and to think, Heidi was the one who didn't like your local deer!:eek!: Hopefully it will be a good hunt this year and I will have plenty more next year for everyone.
I apply for a Moose and Buffalo tag every year and I should be getting close to drawing one next year! Moose and Buffalo wiegh close to 2000 pounds, should have plenty to spread around if I could ever draw the damn tag.
Do you have to draw a tag for all big game?

Checklist for guns to send with Debbie

Elk 35 Whelen..........check
Moose 35 Rem or .358 Winchester........check
Buffalo 45/70...........check
Antelope .243 Rem, or Rem 7mm mag? .........both checked. :)

Too bad she doesn't know how to fly fish. My cousins and I, rode our bikes for mile to flyfish. We also did a bunch of flyfishing for trout in the mountain lakes, when we'd go camping. We tied all of our own flies. Nothing was better than "Joe's Giant Killer". :) One day fishing out of the same rubber raft, the JGK fly took 8 trout, while my cousin Davey's junky fly took two. :cool::wink: That was when we lived in Oregon.

Cuda
08-30-2007, 03:23 PM
Do you have to draw a tag for all big game?

Checklist for guns to send with Debbie

Elk 35 Whelen..........check
Moose 35 Rem or .358 Winchester........check
Buffalo 45/70...........check
Antelope .243 Rem, or Rem 7mm mag? .........both checked. :)

Too bad she doesn't know how to fly fish. My cousins and I, rode our bikes for miles to flyfish. We also did a bunch of flyfishing for trout in the mountain lakes, when we'd go camping. We tied all of our own flies. Nothing was better than "Joe's Giant Killer". :) One day fishing out of the same rubber raft, the JGK fly took 8 trout, while my cousin Davey's junky fly took two. :cool::wink: That was when we lived in Oregon.