PDA

View Full Version : Built Ford Tough....

Rootsy
08-28-2007, 12:13 PM
Let me begin by saying I am absolutely astonished by what idiot folks will do to a $45,000 truck... The photos you see are of their THIRD load in 3 weeks...

Backing up a bit, A month or so ago I posted an add on Craigslist for fieldstone for sale. I have a few large piles from picking up around the place and plowing for my garden behind the shop this spring... Probably 15 - 20 ton worth altogether. Here is one of the piles... This is just from my 20 x 100 sweet corn patch I plowed this spring... We have A LOT of rocks here...

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/jaroot13/IMG_8077.jpg

So anywho, This kid (22ish or so) calls me about these fieldstone... I said $20 a pickup load, whatever you think your truck can handle, you load em (This is excruciatingly cheap I know)... So out they head... From NEW BALTIMORE (not far from Algonac / Lk St. Clair). Bout 130 miles to my place....

They arrive and slip me an Andrew Jackson and off they go to loading... They fill the bed of this 03 Superduty about 3/4 full... Being the helpful fella I am I kind of discourage that kind of load... But I'm just a dumb hick farmer so what the hell do I know... The kid enlightens me that he's studied up on this beast and she can handle 8 TON in the bed... yes that's right, 8 TON... and 13 TON on a gooseneck... :eek: So I just amble my way into the shop, crack a beer and go to workin on a tractor...

Before they leave the kid tells me that he thinks she'll be OK... he has 3 or 4 inches between the axle tubes and the bump stops... the 2" drop receiver was just below my knee... Off they go...

The following Friday they show up again for another load. This time they load the Superduty all of the way to the top of the bed... Boy has been doing some more "studying" and he's good to go... bump stops are about half an inch from the axle tubes and that is perfectly fine... Receiver is about mid shin on me... I keep waiting for a leaf spring to snap as they pull onto the road...

So they showed up again last night for load #3. Load her up the same way... I ask them how she rode home... He tells me it was fine.. no issues, rode perfectly cept she got a little squirrly when he took a 40 mph curve @ 60... :boggled:

Anywho, I have half a dozen boulders that are anywhere from probably 300 - 1500 lbs each... Gave them a price / stone and they said they'd be back... I told them to bring a trailer I refuse to put them in that truck with a tractor... :bonk: So I guess we'll have another installment when they return....

These jokers are a disaster waiting to happen.. especially humping across 94, 275 & 696 with this kind of load on... I figured some occifer of the law would have seen this and pulled them over by now...

BTW I do have a plenty of rock left if anyone wants to come grab some... :yes:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/jaroot13/IMG_8275.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/jaroot13/IMG_8277.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/jaroot13/IMG_8278.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n27/jaroot13/IMG_8279.jpg

Ranman
08-28-2007, 12:21 PM
A Tundra wouldn't have made it to the main highway. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

BUIZILLA
08-28-2007, 12:26 PM
well, considering I also have the same identical, even the color, F250, I think I would still use my Tundra for that little job... :yes:

justleft
08-28-2007, 02:15 PM
So, I'll be heading your way in a couple weeks.

How many of tem boulders do you think you can get into my lifted (4")
BroncoII ? It has stiffer springs ya know. Do you think we would have to
unload before doing some trails at Turtle Ridge ?

Look at the back tires on that thing !!! Can't wait to see the boulder haul !!

BUIZILLA
08-28-2007, 02:45 PM
The word think in that sentence just say's it all doesn't it.... I didn't say it would survive... :boggled:

Donziweasel
08-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Jamie, you said it best- "you can't fix stupid"!: Not even sure you would want to fix stupid if you could with those idiots. At least take the damn receiver hitch off before you bottom out and screw it up.

handfulz28
08-28-2007, 04:52 PM
At least take the damn receiver hitch off before you bottom out and screw it up.

I'm gonna bet they'll load it until the hitch scrapes...now THAT will be a bump stop :shocking:

You see trucks loaded like that down here in South Florida all the time...leaving Homer Depot/Lowes with concrete, leaving the flooring warehouse with 3000+ sq ft of tile...somehow they actually manage to get to and STOP where they're going.

Donziweasel
08-28-2007, 05:51 PM
Hmmm.... F Series Superduty rated at around 3000 pounds of payload. Jamie, how much on the third load do you think they loaded?

Let's see, some quick calculations-
Stupid 22 year old + nice Ford Superduty x testosterone / unreasonable payload=?

Jamie, as a qualified engineer, or Buiz as a qualified mechanic, could you please fill in the = to variable. I think we would all love to see the answer!

Cuda
08-28-2007, 06:51 PM
I know for a fact that an 05 F350 SRW will haul two pallets of tile. Figure about 4 pounds per square foot, and around 600 square feet per pallet, plus settings, well over 5000 pounds. I drove from Orlando to Tampa with that load, and got over 17 mpg doing it. I had a picture, but my hardrive got fried this weekend, losing ALL my data. :(

Donziweasel
08-28-2007, 07:14 PM
That was an F-250 specs by Ford. F-350 is rated, depending on the package between 4500 and 5500 pounds.

Cuda
08-28-2007, 07:53 PM
That was an F-250 specs by Ford. F-350 is rated, depending on the package between 4500 and 5500 pounds.
I imagine there's a 100% safety factor already built in. I used to know a guy at a tile distributor, who ran from Miami to Clearwater once a week with three pallets on his F 350 DRW.

justleft
08-28-2007, 08:06 PM
Hmmm, so those are the trucks on Ebay

roadtrip se
08-29-2007, 10:22 AM
I just hope Jill and I don't run into this guy on our commutes in and out of town. I don't think I have ever seen a 3/4 ton squat like that before.

penbroke
08-29-2007, 07:59 PM
I'm guessing you guys would NOT approve of some of the things I've done with my S-10...

Frank :boggled:

DonziChick
08-30-2007, 11:44 AM
I think I could fit it in my Wrangler and a trailer behind it :yes: :bonk: