PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Custom Cowling For 496

Carl C
08-28-2007, 08:11 AM
My motor's starting to look pretty good but I'm looking for an aluminum cowling. The problem is that I want one that is narrower than stock and does not extend over the air filter. I've looked through the magazines but they are all too big (stock size). Thanks.

mrfixxall
08-28-2007, 08:47 AM
Carl,,emi makes some or at leaste they use to:lookaroun:

Carl C
08-28-2007, 10:22 AM
Carl,,emi makes some or at leaste they use to:lookaroun: Is this the right site? - http://www.emi-marine.com I know EMI makes billet battery boxes but I don't see any of that kind of stuff on this site.:confused:

boxy
08-28-2007, 12:08 PM
Fellas, I think you are looking for Eddie Marine Inc

http://www.eddiemarine.com/

mrfixxall
08-28-2007, 12:10 PM
[QUOTE=Carl C;422858]Is this the right site? - http://www.emi-marine.com I know EMI makes billet battery boxes but I don't see any of that kind of stuff on this site.:confused:[/QUOT

my correction,,this guy has a patton on the item you want http://www.customcowlings.com/gallery.php from what i understand he threatened to sue eddie if he didnt remove them from the webb site.....chris said he would sell you one unfinished (in alunimum) ball drilled or trible for 100 bucks shhhhhhhh!!! keep it to yourself..lol

need for speed
08-28-2007, 01:46 PM
wow LOOKS really good....... Laurie's going to have to get over the idea of a new big flat tv for the house I need some parts for my 496 ..... :eek!:

Carl C
08-28-2007, 03:03 PM
I don't see any cowlings on eddiemarine.com. I've been to Customcowlings and it is a cool site, especially the interactive dress up your motor section but their cowlings are all based on one size and they are too big.:(

ChromeGorilla
08-28-2007, 05:08 PM
I looked at those customcowlings ..... nice enough but chincy IMO. Hold one of those in your hand then pick up a boatbling cowling..... no comparison..... the boatbling cowling is a beautifull piece.

The boatbling suckers are QUALITY.... that being said, the boat blings, I believe will work for you. They modified the dimesions of the new ones as to work with the CMI setup on 496HO's...... get you one Carl...... they rock! I recomend a "classic" series with yellow stripes and the Donzi logo lazer etched. :yes::yes::yes:

www.boatbling.net Don't screw around with the cheapy versions...these rule!

CG

ChromeGorilla
08-28-2007, 05:11 PM
Here it is Carl..... all you baby...

CMI classic..... http://www.boatbling.net/bbFrameset-1.htm

Yellow stripes would look schweet!

Donziweasel
08-28-2007, 05:56 PM
Carl, I must say, the engine looks great! Have you thought about a one off custom cowling? Make a design, take it to a machine shop or custom shop and get a price on having it made. Hell, some shops even have computer software where they can design it right there for you. Then you will be truely custom and unique!

Carl C
08-28-2007, 06:08 PM
Here it is Carl..... all you baby...
CMI classic..... http://www.boatbling.net/bbFrameset-1.htm
Yellow stripes would look schweet! Good to hear from you, ChromeGorilla. I like the yellow one. I tried to call them but they're closed. The site says that the ones with the logo are only sold through the corresponding dealers. How much are they? About $300?

ChromeGorilla
08-28-2007, 06:14 PM
They're about $500. They quality is top friggin notch. CNC aluminum that is stout! It is a very nice piece of hardware. I bought mine directly from them. I would contact them and see if yuo can still get them directly, I believe the "dealer network" is for their bling sauce line..... Give it a try tommorrow.

Carl C
08-28-2007, 06:27 PM
Give it a try tommorrow. Will do and will post update. Thanks.

gcarter
08-28-2007, 07:15 PM
Uhh Chrome.....how much speed did that cowling add???:wink::)

ChromeGorilla
08-28-2007, 08:52 PM
Air temp between 70-80 with 74.5% humidity gained approx. .0000 MPH

" " " 80-90 w/ 92% humdity gained approx. .0000 MPH

Although the boat looks much fast tied up to the dock wit the hatch open....:yes::wink::tongue:

Hi George.

zelatore
08-28-2007, 11:41 PM
Air temp between 70-80 with 74.5% humidity gained approx. .0000 MPH
" " " 80-90 w/ 92% humdity gained approx. .0000 MPH
Although the boat looks much fast tied up to the dock wit the hatch open....:yes::wink::tongue:
Hi George.

Yeah, but with the variations and tolerances in the GPS, that works out to .0000 MPH.

You can't argue with those kind of numbers

ChromeGorilla
08-29-2007, 09:44 AM
I'm glad someone else can accept the variances as acceptable and approve of this highly accurate data I have accrued.....:yes:

Last Tango
08-29-2007, 10:45 AM
Chrome,
I would suspect that the phenominal increase in performance you experienced may in fact be due to the UVA, UVBling, and SPF ratings required in order to install this item.

Carl C
08-29-2007, 11:51 AM
Carl, I must say, the engine looks great! Have you thought about a one off custom cowling? Make a design, take it to a machine shop or custom shop and get a price on having it made. Hell, some shops even have computer software where they can design it right there for you. Then you will be truely custom and unique! Boat Bling doesn't like to answer their phone. Dw, I didn't see this post until now. I wouldn't know where to have it done. Machine shops are an endangered species around here. The work all went to China. I'd really prefer a smaller plate that just covers the 'puter and wiring and not the front of the motor.

mrfixxall
08-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Boat Bling doesn't like to answer their phone. Dw, I didn't see this post until now. I wouldn't know where to have it done. Machine shops are an endangered species around here. The work all went to China. I'd really prefer a smaller plate that just covers the 'puter and wiring and not the front of the motor.

contact Zelatore and see if he can make one out of a shiny stainless steel:biggrin:,,,,, send him your old one with the modifications on it and see if it can be done on the flojet...

Donziweasel
08-29-2007, 02:28 PM
Possibly search for Fabrication shop on the internet. Any shop with a flojet, or plasma cutter for that matter, can do it for you. Also check body shops, especially ones that advertise custom work, and welders even in your area. I think you could get a great one off cowling specific to your design. Then, have it painted ( I think black with yellow accents or yellow flames to match your boat owuld look good), mount it, and enjoy all the envious stares. Good luck!

ChromeGorilla
08-29-2007, 10:16 PM
Carl, I emailed boatbling and got a response back about the CMI covers in abuot an hour. It looks like somehow he thought I was looking for a pair of them... but I guess the price would be about $400 for just 1 It also looks like the dealers are only for the Hot Sauce products...not the covers. You purchase directly from them.

Hi Scott,
We are running a special on twins and all covers are ordered directly through
us. We do have the Donzi logo available. Your price would be 800 for both,
plus shipping and that includes the yellow grooves, hardware and the Donzi
logo.
Lead time to have these customized is about 1 to 1.5 weeks.
Thanks again for your interest and please let me know if you have any questions.
Patrick
Cell (602)312-4550

blueliner
08-30-2007, 01:05 AM
what about f and m custom cowlings???? paul is a great guy. i ordered one from him for my 496 ho with the cmi headers. i'm getting ready to put it on in the next day or so.

Rootsy
08-30-2007, 06:40 AM
Carl,

what are you looking to spend... a 1 off piece will be a bit pricy I'd think, depending upon how "fancy" you would like to get... BTW, there's a rather complete CNC shop on the other side of my office door and beyond that is a rather large fab shop... Only thing I can't quite do is intricate decorative engraving, etc... I'd have to go next door to have that work done.

Carl C
08-30-2007, 07:20 AM
what about f and m custom cowlings???? paul is a great guy. i ordered one from him for my 496 ho with the cmi headers. i'm getting ready to put it on in the next day or so. They have some nice dress up stuff but their cowlings are huge!

Carl,
what are you looking to spend... a 1 off piece will be a bit pricy I'd think, depending upon how "fancy" you would like to get... BTW, there's a rather complete CNC shop on the other side of my office door and beyond that is a rather large fab shop... Only thing I can't quite do is intricate decorative engraving, etc... I'd have to go next door to have that work done. Here is a mock-up of what I'd be happy with. A very simple flat plate of polished aluminum about 15 x 19 inches. I'd even drill the holes to make sure it's located right. I could install it with the spacers included in the CMI kit. How much $$? Making this mock-up got me to thinking...........some edging around this corrugated plastic and a Donzi logo sticker............I wonder how long it would last? $400 vs. $5. Hmmmmmmmmm............add a yellow coolant tank cover from F&M.......................Uh oh.

ChromeGorilla, I'm waiting for a call back from Boat Bling. Quoting Jimmy Buffet....tsk tsk!

blueliner
08-30-2007, 08:58 AM
They have some nice dress up stuff but their cowlings are huge!
Here is a mock-up of what I'd be happy with. A very simple flat plate of polished aluminum about 15 x 19 inches. I'd even drill the holes to make sure it's located right. I could install it with the spacers included in the CMI kit. How much $$? Making this mock-up got me to thinking...........some edging around this corrugated plastic and a Donzi logo sticker............I wonder how long it would last? $400 vs. $5. Hmmmmmmmmm............add a yellow coolant tank cover from F&M.......................Uh oh.
ChromeGorilla, I'm waiting for a call back from Boat Bling. Quoting Jimmy Buffet....tsk tsk!

i actually thought their cowling was quite small. it's in front of me... it's much smaller than i thought it was gonna be.

ChromeGorilla
08-30-2007, 09:23 AM

Did you email them? I got an email back pretty quickly. Also, patrick put his cell number up there as well....

Patrick
Cell (602)312-4550

I would give it a shot. Carl, I too made one first. Had a machne shop cut it, had it anodized blue...yadda yadda yadda...... didn't hold a candle to the new one I got.....what ever you do, good luck and I hope it turns out nice.:yes:

Carl C
08-30-2007, 11:00 AM
[QUOTE=Carl C;422858]Is this the right site? - http://www.emi-marine.com I know EMI makes billet battery boxes but I don't see any of that kind of stuff on this site.:confused:[/QUOT
my correction,,this guy has a patton on the item you want http://www.customcowlings.com/gallery.php from what i understand he threatened to sue eddie if he didnt remove them from the webb site.....chris said he would sell you one unfinished (in alunimum) ball drilled or trible for 100 bucks shhhhhhhh!!! keep it to yourself..lol I'm quoting this post because you guys need to check out the customcowlings web site. Go to the "dress up your engine" section and have fun with it. As pointed out on another thread I toss things around on this site to get all of the great info, opinions and ideas from people who know. I really appreciate the time everyone spent to reply and post links but I decided to go with a yellow coolant tank cover from customcowlings for $100 (yellow aluminum billet) and I will make a small engine cover as in post #25 in yellow. If my plastic cover looks cheesy I'll contact Rootsy and have an aluminum one made. I'll post pics when done next week. Thanks again.:)

ChromeGorilla
08-31-2007, 02:47 AM
Your Spanish is almost as poor as your choice of tow vehicles... :eek!::wink:
Look buddy... this is AMERICA and we speak American around here...got it?!?!?
Wasn't no attempt at no habloespanyolo..... :chilipepp::sombrero:
Actually it should have read much faster

BUIZILLA
08-31-2007, 06:24 AM
CG, are you sending your better half to 'Sota? we promise to take very good care of her, and make sure she has a goooooood time. :crossfing::wink::cool!:

ChromeGorilla
08-31-2007, 08:25 AM
She's on lock down when I'm gone....:yes::bonk::rolleyes:

Carl C
09-08-2007, 06:43 PM
Here's how this ended. I got the F&M coolant reservoir cover yesterday and of course even that can't go on without a problem :rolleyes:. I made the pictured mod to clear the headers and this is what my motor looks like now. What do you think? Does my homemade cover look cheesy? I'll replace the bolts.:)

Ed Donnelly
09-08-2007, 07:33 PM
You could have done a better job on the white trim

WELL YOU ASKED FOR OUR OPINIONS:cool::yes:....Ed

tmdog
09-09-2007, 10:32 AM
Cost being a factor, you did a good job. I like it.:yes:

need for speed
09-09-2007, 11:26 AM
I might have tryed to take the stock black cover and trim it to fit!!!

looks good.!

Carl C
09-09-2007, 05:42 PM
Thanks all. Ed, that edging has steel inside it and is a bitch to work with but I may fix that or may make a whole new one since the plastic only costs $5. The aluminum tank cover was $100! The headers are what really draws your attention, my cover just hides the ugly electronics. I don't think there'd be any way to trim the stock cover and have it look right but I may check into that idea too.