PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Penta Relay Starter / Solinoid wiring?

AGUESS
08-27-2007, 09:25 PM
Hi,

I am trying to complete the wiring of my 351 ford 5.8 FL engine.

The engine bracket that holds the two 50 amp breakers and the main wiring harness 9 pin connector, also has a small item behind it that I now think is a Starter Relay.

To back up. I was going to wire the boat using an old style starter solinoid with the two small poles marked "S" and "I" and then just run the red hot to the starter. This would have had a purple wire to the "I" and the small yellow/red to the "S". I then would run the red to the solinoid and then to the starter and would run a large yellow/red from the side of the solinoid to the top of the starter.

However, I was confused with the wiring harness engine bracket. This has a large guage (maybe 10 guage) yellow with red stripe wire and a large guage Red wire comming from it. The large guage yellow/red does not ohm back to any of the pins on the harness.

I have wired the large red, black and small yellow/red to the old style solinoid I purchased, but that still left the large yellow/red with nowhere to go.

So, I was going to leave the large yellow/red wire tied off.

Then I started looking at other wiring diagrams and they show a Starter Relay.

I looked at the back of the engine bracket and there appears to be a relay there. It has the following wires comming out of the bottom.

small guage yellow/red stripe wire. Same guage as most other wires.
Large guage yellow/red stripe wire. Looks like it could cary a lot of power.
Large guage Red wire, again for power?
small guage black, for ground.

Does the Starter Relay, replace the Starter Solinoid? This would almost make sence to me.

Can anyone help me with the wiring of this to the starter, etc.

I expect that the small guage yellow/red wire goes to the top of the starter, which has a slide on connector.

Next, the Red wire would go to the terminal on the Starter that the battery cable also attaches to.

The small black would ground back to the engine.

Question. What does the large yellow/red wire do?

My engine has electonic ignition.

Also, I am told that because I have electronic ignition that I do not have to run a purple wire from the Alt back to the solenoid. That the purple wire only goes back to the coil.

My Volvo Penta workshop manual only covers "Hu Models" and Early "NC" models, and I can not find a starter relay on any diagram.

I don't want to smoke everything when I am done with this, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alex.