PDA

View Full Version : Outdrive swap....will it fit?

Chrish
08-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Boat has Bravo cut outs in transom. Will A TRS drive fit or will I have to cut out or glass in?

gpapich
08-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Are you swapping from Bravo to TRS? I believe the cutouts are different. Some of the other guys should be able to confirms what specifically is different.

I have to ask. If you are going Bravo to TRS, why? The TRS is an older drive, heavier and requires a transmission as well as having a deeper lower unit. You would have to move your engine forward to account for the length of the tranny which would also change your CG. I would think if you want to go faster, keep the Bravo.

I have a TRS and it's a monster. It's very strong and shifts like the automatic transmission it is. Do a query and catch some of the older threads.

G.

BERTRAM BOY
08-27-2007, 04:27 PM
TRS uses a larger hole.. I have a jig for it AMOF...

Do you have an alignment tool as well?

Chrish
08-27-2007, 07:51 PM
Are you swapping from Bravo to TRS? I believe the cutouts are different. Some of the other guys should be able to confirms what specifically is different.
I have to ask. If you are going Bravo to TRS, why? The TRS is an older drive, heavier and requires a transmission as well as having a deeper lower unit. You would have to move your engine forward to account for the length of the tranny which would also change your CG. I would think if you want to go faster, keep the Bravo.
I have a TRS and it's a monster. It's very strong and shifts like the automatic transmission it is. Do a query and catch some of the older threads.
G.

The boat was purchased (sans power pak)w/new transom for bravo but I found a deal on TRS drives that I couldnt turn down. I know it seems illogical but hey........

Cuda
08-28-2007, 06:42 PM
The boat was purchased (sans power pak)w/new transom for bravo but I found a deal on TRS drives that I couldnt turn down. I know it seems illogical but hey........
Be aware the engine is mounted more forward on a TRS, to make room for the transmission.

jdsdls
08-30-2007, 12:17 PM
I don't think you can just bolt up a TRS to a Bravo Even if the templete is the same. I am not 100% correct but when they install ab oat wiht a TRS drive they moved the motor forward to maek room for the transmission.

Pismo
08-30-2007, 02:26 PM
KEEP THE BRAVO. Bravos are cheap, all you need is the drive since you have the transom assem. The TRS hole is bigger and a few years from now when you switch back to a Bravo it entails lots and lots of glass work to fill the hole and cut out the Bravo hole again. Do you have a tranny already? Need it for a TRS, not a Bravo tho. Sell the TRS stuff on ebay to help pay for the Bravo drive. You will save lots of time and dollars down the road.

Chrish
08-30-2007, 07:27 PM
I have a donor boat to measure from to relocate engine mounts!
Thanx for all the input, I welcome more advice for "Project Z"
Chris