PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a mooring cover

DON-Z-26ZX
08-27-2007, 01:16 PM
I've been trying to find a replacement mooring / cockpit cover for my 26zx. I've looked into just having one custom made, but...wow!!!...$$$$$. I think I'll be much better off buying one from Donzi, but I've not had any luck in finding a good source for this route. Anyone know of a good source for Donzi "OEM" stuff? I am assuming that these must be made from a standard template, & that I can just order one, & it will fit without too many issues....or at least I hope...:eek!:

The Hedgehog
08-27-2007, 01:48 PM
How much did they want for a custom cover? I asked the same question and then paid $600 for a custom sumbrella cover. I did not think that it was too bad.

mrfixxall
08-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Make sure you ask for aqulon fabric!!,,,sunbrella is a acrylic fabfic which is NOT water proof:wink: yes their a standard temp plate but when they install the snaps on the boat they probably wont line up so i would go the custom route..

DON-Z-26ZX
08-27-2007, 02:22 PM
That is what I was prepared to pay, but I was quoted $1200. He told me it was some "space age" material...most likely used on the Shuttle :boggled:...I was floored to say the least. I don't use the cover alot, due to it being stored indoors, but when I go out of town I like to use it for the overnite stays, & while trailering. So just good ole Sunbrella material will work just fine. Mine is just worn out, the snaps are very weak, & the edges are torn, & the red is definetly not red anymore. I did get intouch with the folks at Donzi, & they told me they only sell to dealers. He gave me a number to Coastal Marine, out of Georgia. I have to get my hull number & I'll call them tomorrow to see what they can get me one for. The gentleman over at Donzi said I can order it with or without snaps. He said the fit should be close, but I'm wondering what "close" means....

VetteLT193
08-27-2007, 02:27 PM
scour ebay for a while, there was an original one on eBay, brand new, not long ago. i think it sold for under $100

zelatore
08-27-2007, 02:28 PM
I think I paid about $600 for a full Sunbrella cover with trailing tie-downs for my 22 earlier this year. I forget the name of the company, but somebody on the board recomended them. They offered several different fabric options. I can probalby find the name if you want...

BTW, if you go with the factory canvas, I'd get it without the snaps installed. It doesn't take much to put one in slightly off and then the whole thing fits poorly. Snaps are easy to put in; you can do it youself or have a canvas shop do it in an hour or two. I know if I order any sort of canvas from my manufacturers after the fact, they insist we install the snaps here.

zelatore
08-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Looked it up.... www.coverquest.com
Several members have used them with good results

DON-Z-26ZX
08-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Looked it up.... www.coverquest.com
Several members have used them with good results

Thanks for the info, I didn't see the 26zx listed, but I'll give them a call to see if they have them available.
I definetly agree about ordering it without snaps, it would be bad to have them even just a little off.

DON-Z-26ZX
08-27-2007, 02:59 PM
scour ebay for a while, there was an original one on eBay, brand new, not long ago. i think it sold for under $100

Just me luck...."Day late & a dollar short"...I'm always on EBAY looking for that perfect "good deal", figures I'd miss out on that....:(

knots2u
08-28-2007, 01:55 AM
You do not want a "water-proof" cover, unless you like dealing with mold, mildew, and rust! Aqualon material is great for bimini's, T-tops, and enclosures for cabin type boats since it is essentially a tent fabric. I am not saying don't use Aqualon for a cover, but if you do, add a vent (http://www.boatvent.com/BVII.html) (or two, or three,.....) to let moisture back out. Sunbrella is water resistant, if not maintained, it will easily let moisture in. Maintain Sunbrella and you will get many years of use.

mrfixxall
08-28-2007, 08:54 AM
You do not want a "water-proof" cover, unless you like dealing with mold, mildew, and rust! Aqualon material is great for bimini's, T-tops, and enclosures for cabin type boats since it is essentially a tent fabric. I am not saying don't use Aqualon for a cover, but if you do, add a vent (or two, or three,.....) to let moisture back out. Sunbrella is water resistant, if not maintained, it will easily let moisture in. Maintain Sunbrella and you will get many years of use.

I had not one, not two but all three sunbrella covers made for my x with in a year and they all leaked and made my cig all wet inside too!

Ramman has a sunbrella materal cover on his boat as well and his boat smells like **** every time ive been on it and the cabin and carpet is always drenched!!!

same guy made a aqulon cover for the cig (with vents & pole attaches to the vents) dry as can be...:wink:

The Hedgehog
08-28-2007, 10:09 AM
You could use your ragged cover as a template and have someone make a custom cover. Sumbrella is fine. I have used it for sometime with great results. If you store it outside you may want look at other options.

knots2u
08-28-2007, 02:39 PM
A cover without a support POLE is really just an empty bird bath, just add water!

Cover vent (http://www.boatvent.com/BVII.html)....$12.95
Aqualon cover...$20/yard + labor
Support Pole......PRICELESS!