PDA

View Full Version : I'm In Need Of A No Longer Available OMC Part

Walt. H.
08-27-2007, 12:06 AM
I'm In Need Of A "No Longer order Available" "OMC Part item.
One new old stock or a still good in working condition "trim sending unit" that is found on the R/H outside gimbal transom shield pivot assembly that would fit my 1993 OMC King Cobra stern drive.

Hopefully someone could check with there local dealer?

Thanks,
Walt

joel3078
08-27-2007, 03:42 PM
These are the 2 websites I use to find OMC King Cobra parts.

http://www.sterndrive.info/contact_us.html

http://www.brp.com/en-US/Related.Products/Parts.htm

The BRP is Bomadier Recreational Products - the guys that bought Evinrude/Johnson and had ties back to the old OMC days. You can find parts but you have to order them from a local dealer.

From what I can see in the BRP sterndrive parts list for a 1993 you need the following 2 parts.

Pick List
Catalog Part Number Description Quantity
Stern Drive 0986143 TRIM SENDER ASSY.
Stern Drive 0581656 TERMINAL

The part numbers are probably BRP and not OMC.

I looked a couple years ago and the trim sender assembly was about 80 bucks.

Walt. H.
08-27-2007, 10:09 PM
Thanks Joel,

Thats a great link for future needed part numbers...
I lucked out today after looking throughly at my shop manual to see that the Volvo SX drive especially the transom sheild looks exactly the same as the king cobra's, and knowing that OMC & Volvo had a joint venture together before Volvo bought OMC's Lexington, Kentuck assembly plant sometime around 1995-96'.
So I went back to my local dealer even after being told the Volvo & the OMC drives aren't the same before 1995 but with measurements and my trim sender to compare to the Volvo SX unit, and low and behold they are exactly the same except for the fact that the SX sender has a third extra wire for ground where as the OMC just uses two wires.

The shop owner couldn't get over what I discovered and gave it to me for an extra $12.00 off retail price for $68.70
The BRP Trim Sender P/N is 3855535

I'm back in business with a working gauge....:)

Walt

joel3078
08-28-2007, 09:06 AM
It's a multi turn potentiometer. The install instructions were something about measuring ohms before install. This gets the sending unit in a close locations before mouning. You tweak it in per your trim guage after it's mounted. Ohms measurment was real low so you will want to use a digital meter.

I have all the factory king cobra owners manual, parts book, shop manual, etc. If you need info from them send me a pm. I have to replace my sending unit in the near future. Still works but it's a bit flakey from time to time. The Merc outdrives go through these units also.

Glad the Volvo SX part worked for you. Keep track of that Volvo SX drive. Lots of simularity between it and the OMC King Cobra - the real one with the hump on top.

Walt. H.
08-28-2007, 09:03 PM
Yes! Thats how the trim sender works, the basic install is to lower the drive all the way down and to set the trim sender to a value of 10 to 12 ohm's so somewheres in the middle around 11 ohms is cool and then install and lock it down, then check the gauge and adjust the calibration to your likeness if needed.:yes:

I'm a happy camper once again with a working gauge. WooHoo!:beer:

brivander
07-23-2011, 10:45 AM
I am glad I searched for this -- just had my outdrive off and purchased this part to try, low and behold SUCCESS! Back in business!!!
FYI the part # BRP Trim Sender P/N is 3855535 is now VOL3849411 -- hopefully this will help somebody like it helped me!

Walt. H.
07-25-2011, 02:23 PM
Brivander,
It just goes to show everything old is new again including old posts, i'm glad it was still around to help.
Except that trim sender now has gone up to $187.00 as of last fall season and I bet hitting the $200.00 mark by now today. Ugh!
Let me if i'm correct?

You will need to cut some excess plastic around the hex that fits inside the pivot pin so that it will slide in flush to install and tighten the two adj screws, and you don't need to use the white wire only the other two are needed.

Also make sure you allow enough slack for the wires to move when the drive is in a sharp left hand turn and position the required slack that it doesn't get pinched when the drive is in a right hand turn.
I had to replace that trim sender again last year but I was lucky to find the original old two wire unit for about $125.00 so buy two if you can just in case for insurance since these parts are inflating faster then the price of gold due to availability.
WH

bigike
08-17-2011, 08:01 PM
Thats what i do with water pumps! buy every kit i can... Have 3 now... Bought one for 50 bucks!

My gauge is jumpy, it goes to full down at half tilt, but is showing a proper 100% up...

I set it now were i want to trim at while under way, 3/4 on the gauge, fully down is still off, but from that point up seems to be pretty good. Think it's the sender or the gauge?

Chewed up my aluminum 17p prop in canyon lake last weekend... But then it wasn't working at all...

I'm going to put a loop power meter on it and see if it is a 4-20 ma gauge, and that it is working properly.

Sorry for jumping on the old thread... but he started it! :wink:

Walt. H.
08-17-2011, 11:11 PM
It's the sender not the gauge, probably has a blank/broke spot in the rheostat wire windings but you should be able to dial it in closer by adjusting the sender by turning it one way or the other.

brivander
03-20-2012, 10:01 PM
[ QUOTE=$originalposter]{$pagetext}[/QUOTE]

I think I paid like $89.99...but here is a link for $100

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/VOL-3849411/POSITION+SENSOR+3+WIRE+Volvo+Penta+VOL-3849411.html