PDA

View Full Version : what wax should i use

tom freeman
08-25-2007, 08:50 PM
what is the best wax for fairly new allgrip, and or emoron.
i am looking for shine and durability, salt water.

Cuda
08-25-2007, 09:05 PM
what is the best wax for fairly new allgrip, and or emoron.
i am looking for shine and durability, salt water.
I don't think you are supposed to need any wax for Imron.

margo
08-26-2007, 07:08 PM
If it,s imron or awlgrip it should be tough as nails...If you want a good shine I would buff it with 3m finess then wax it with a good brand such as meguires or mothers

Morgan's Cloud
08-27-2007, 06:48 AM
After years of punishing us telling us not to wax .. Awlgrip now makes their own polymer type sealer/wax.
I have recently used it for the first time and can confirm that as far as 'waxes' go , it is about the easiest I have used.
As far as 'emoron' goes , for years I waxed my car And it never harmed the Imron.

VetteLT193
08-27-2007, 07:59 AM
I've always liked Zymol. Check them out at www.zymol.com

I like Carbon more than the Creme, even on light colors for some reason. Better than either of those is Concours or Destiny. Destiny has such a high carnuba content that you have to apply it with your bare hands, and the warmth of your hands actually helps to melt the carnuba to apply it to the paint. They used to have a marine product, but I don't see it anymore. I always used the car products on the boats anyway.

Carl C
08-27-2007, 08:08 AM
I would use any good marine wax that has UV protection. This is especially important on dark colors that absorb sunlight to prevent fading and oxidation. I use Seasense Ultra Marine Wax.

Sweet little 16
08-27-2007, 08:16 AM
stay away from any wax that has yellow carnuba in it it will yellow white gel cote after time
we just got some frenzy wax was easy to work with has white carnuba in it and leaves a great shine for paint it worked pretty good too

Tony
08-27-2007, 09:14 PM
As the wise sage Mike Truesdale once told me, "You wax paint and you polish gel coat."
So, if it is paint, then probably any of the above mentioned products will do.

For gel coat finishes, however, wade through this old OSO thread (http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140741) about Donnie Fulmer's "Leverage" polish. He explains in layman's terms why any product with carnuba, petroleum, or polyurethane in it is not what is best for gel. I am using Leverage and so far it does all that he promised it would...easy on, easy off, water clean-up, and lasts all season.

Go to the "Whatever You Want to Talk About" forum of this site, and type "leverage" into the search box.
The first four hits all describe member's experiences with this product. Below is a sampling...

This is a quote from Donnie Fulmer, posted on our registry;

I want to help you guys with your Fiberglass. I have always directed my customers to research what that are currently using on their boat. It is very easy to read the ingredients or visit the company's website. You do not want Carnauba, Petroleum Distillates or Polyurethanes on your fiberglass. You can use carnauba/petroleum distillates to remove oxidation and marks, but please don't leave it on. It will cause the same oxidation you just removed because it seals the surface and dosen't allow the fiberglass to breathe. Let me know if you need anything.

This is a quote from ALTDONZI, a registry member:

I will make another post about this topic... I now am definatley sold ...my sweet 16 has been in the lake 7 times since I applied Leverage and this stuff is the cats meow! I am serious... Now this is not a magical product... you dont apply it to a pumpkin to get a carraige.... you have to get the boat shined up first then use this as a polish/protectant.. I personally used 3M finnessit and then LEVERAGE.. all my exhaust stains/ scum stains all wipe off with a wet towel... and no more soap and water. just rinse off with fresh water and towel dry.. THATS IT! it cut down my clean up in half ...so that means longer boating days for me and that is well worth it...
And this stuff is still slick as frog snot...

DickB
08-29-2007, 11:22 PM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35795

ChromeGorilla
08-30-2007, 12:20 AM
I am waiting to try some of the Leverage stuff myself...... but alas....the leverage polish I ordered in MAY still isn't here yet....
:rolleyes::mad: Unfricken real.....

Carl C
08-30-2007, 08:14 AM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35795 Yes, this is the bomb-diggity. Look at all the seasoned Donzi owners drooling over this stuff.:hyper::rlol:

Tim Morris
08-30-2007, 11:04 AM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35795

Got me a jar too! But I'm scared to use it - might go too fast.

smokediver
08-30-2007, 01:49 PM
I wax a lot of boats on my off days from the firehouse ... heck , i think i keep up after 20 Hinckleys alone ! Awl-grip sent down their polish to a company i do a lot of work for before it hit the general market ... or so they say ... I am only an expert by my own experience ... I would think that a company like 3M wouldn't put out a product unless a lot of research went into that product ... I would think that 3M would have more research facilities , financial resources .. etc .. to conduct testing before a product was released to the general public .. having said that ...remember when woody wax was all the rage ??? I do ... now Leverage is the latest and greatest ... Honestly , turtle wax is some pretty good stuff !!! laugh , but it holds up well , and gives a nice shine ... I know it isn't as trendy as the latest buzz word in wax but it isn't too bad ! I happen to use 3M either the straight premium liquid wax for painted finishes or the scotch marine wax that smells like suntan oil for gelcote ... I know 3M will be here 10 years from now ... I am not too sure about the other guys ... As far as the awl grip stuff ... I tried it .. and it will tell you on the bottle that many applications may be needed to achieve good results ... not cost or time effiecient for me or the customer ... I think awl grip did a lot of people harm here by telling them not to wax their finish .. the whole secret to getting a good finish is reducing the size of the scratches made by compounding ... a finish needs to be glazed to either fill or reduce the scratch ... a wax will last longer and look better if the finish is glazed first .. All of my painted boats get machine glazed before they are waxed ... I don't charge for that step but to me it is part of the job ... Super duty compound on a wool pad is fine , if it is followed up by either the perfect 3 compound or finess-it on a foam pad ... it acts as a glaze does on paint ... just my 2 cents ...

BUIZILLA
08-30-2007, 02:02 PM
Smoke, i've got 2 you can do....

smokediver
08-30-2007, 02:16 PM
Smoke, i've got 2 you can do....
might cost you a boat ride and drinks !

BUIZILLA
08-30-2007, 02:21 PM
anytime your ready, i'm ready

boxy
08-30-2007, 02:24 PM
Got me a jar too! But I'm scared to use it - might go too fast.

Speedwax vs CMI headers....

One reportedly gets you 4 mph, one gets you a nicer sound..... :D

Budmann
08-30-2007, 02:32 PM
NU-FINISH Baby!!!!:yes::yes::yes::yes:

BigGrizzly
08-30-2007, 02:58 PM
I have used them and like all of them right now I an using Marine clean on the Corsican and Criterion, So far it has lived up to its reprutation. The Corsican is so slipery you slide off it.

VetteLT193
08-30-2007, 03:12 PM
I have never seen any research/data/pictures regarding why you aren't supposed to use wax on gelcoat.

I have seen time and time again people claiming that boats have turned yellow because of the wax, but I have never seen a picture or seen one in real life.

This has to be one of the easiest things to reproduce if it were true... get a couple samples, wax one and use some super synthetic stuff on the other and see how they do... My assumption on why we haven't seen any evidence is because there isn't any.

I can also say that I would have had more than one yellow boat if this were the case... and I've never had a yellow boat :wink:

Frenzy!
08-30-2007, 03:14 PM
Smoke, I agree with you about the Awl-grip. I used to do a lot of restoration and fabrication work and sprayed a good amount of the stuff. I always waxed it and it held up beautifully.

Kim

tom freeman
08-30-2007, 07:34 PM
I have used them and like all of them right now I an using Marine clean on the Corsican and Criterion, So far it has lived up to its reprutation. The Corsican is so slipery you slide off it.

howdy Big,

where does one aquire this stuff?

tlf

Patti
08-30-2007, 07:45 PM
Speedwax!!!!!!

C'mon...doesn't anyone remember Aleagles?!?!

:tongue:

BUIZILLA
08-30-2007, 08:22 PM
might cost you a boat ride and drinks ! i'm serious, i'll even pay ya !!

BigGrizzly
08-31-2007, 08:14 AM
Tom There was a thread a thread it is really called leverage hopefully this is the link. I sell it but am a low volume guy and only bring it to events. I don't care who you buy it from but it is worth buying, I think poodle or Jamie at Lake side sell it or buy direct. [url]http://www.marinecleanusa.com/products[/urlI have been meaning to call you but have been busy testing at Honda and getting ready for Eufaula lake event.

ChromeGorilla
08-31-2007, 08:28 AM
Just don't buy it from Trick Marine...... ordered in May..... still aint got it after speaking with them in June and August......:mad:

VetteLT193
08-31-2007, 12:18 PM
Just don't buy it from Trick Marine...... ordered in May..... still aint got it after speaking with them in June and August......:mad:

are you serious? what did you order (like is it an odd part or should it be in stock)? I was going to place an order with them this afternoon until I read this:eek!:

sorry for the 20 questions, they have the best price on a part I need...

marineclean
09-18-2007, 12:26 PM

Hey Chrome,

I've been gone for awhile. Please PM me your number asap. I apologize for any delay that you're having and I will handle this order personally.

This summer has been hectic too say the least. My Marine Clean business has been non stop and I've also been back in production on my Leverage. I've added some new boat products, buffing supplies, changed some pricing and also put my 1 Gallon and 5 Gallon products online. All of my distributors will have their new inventory next week. Please check out my website when you get a chance and let me know what you think.

Thanks, Donnie

RedDog
09-18-2007, 04:56 PM

obviously a problem. I ordered the Leverage from Trick in May and received it within a few days