PDA

View Full Version : 1967 18 classic

ethyl
08-25-2007, 09:27 AM
I apologize for accidently posting this in the classified section. I recently purchased this boat and found a 2 inch diameter hole on the port side of the hull where the inner tubs are joined. This had been patched some time ago judging from the look of the materials. The patch failed after some agressive wave jumping. I am concerned that this may be an indication of associated structural problems I would appreciate any thoughts on this matter. Thanks, ethyl.

mphatc
08-25-2007, 08:28 PM
ethyl,
:eek!:
Sadly what you've experienced is a known problem with early Classics . . the deck to hull connection was not built as robustly as it should have been.
Simply put the deck acts like a trampoline and is not supported from below well enough to take the impacts from wave jumping, especially after 30 years . . :(:(:(
You'll need to investigate what has failed between the deck and the hull and stringers. I suspect that your boat was likely built like the rest of the early boats with fiberglass roving tabs to connect the deck and the hull, these fractured and left your deck hanging by the gunnels . . .
I went through this on my 69 Corsican, other here have been through this on Classics and the Minx, I also know of several 22s . . .
In this thread there are solutions referenced for the Corsican and the Minx . . all very similar to what you have experienced.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47078&highlight=stringers&page=2
Post some pictures of your boat . . and the damages .. .
I'm sure you'll get other replies from some of the F-glass gurus here!
Mario L

ethyl
08-27-2007, 12:34 PM
Mario, many thanks for your info. Maybe I should stop jumping large waves with this old gal. Corsicans are really cool. Ethyl