PDA

View Full Version : GVWR for 22 Classic (wet)

Donzimax
08-24-2007, 09:56 PM
I know the dry weight of a 22 classic is roughly 3400-3500 lbs (I'm assuming with engine/drive). What would the GVWR be with a typical trailer and full tank of gas be? Would an SUV rated at 5000 lbs towing capacity work?

Barry Eller
08-25-2007, 05:58 AM
I know the dry weight of a 22 classic is roughly 3400-3500 lbs (I'm assuming with engine/drive). What would the GVWR be with a typical trailer and full tank of gas be? Would an SUV rated at 5000 lbs towing capacity work?

A lot of opinions here. Gasoline weighs approximately 6 lbs per gallon, (depends on temp). My Performance dual axle trailer weighs 1100 lbs (heavy galvanised axles, springs,10' cypress bunks, etc). Life jackets usually don't weigh much, but skis and all the kids toys (I don't have kids) will add to the pile. Your ice chest with all your boat drinks may be in the boat as well. My wife's boat/beach bag will weigh a good 25 lbs!

A tow vehicle with 5000 lbs rating will pull the boat down the road, but will it pull it safely? Depends on the terrain. In the mountains? No. Across country? No.

Tow ratings include the passengers and gear INSIDE the tow vehicle as well.

4X4 vehicles tow ratings are usually less than 2WD because of the added weight of the transfer case.

When I bought my 22 Classic, I had a 2000 Chevy Blazer LT with factory tow package rated at 5500 lbs. It pulled it out of the driveway and down the road, and out of the water fairly well.

When my wife totaled the Blazer, I got a Chevy Silverado X-Cab 1/2 ton with tow package that is rated for 7500 lbs with the locking differential and gear ratio it has. This tows the Donzi MUCH better.

Having the proper tongue weight and the right hitch is important. But the most important thing you need is BRAKES.

Just having the ability to pull the boat out of the driveway and down the road does not mean you are towing safely. There could also be legal problems if you had a accident and were over loaded.

Tow Safe.:wink:

zelatore
08-25-2007, 12:45 PM
Just having the ability to pull the boat out of the driveway and down the road does not mean you are towing safely. There could also be legal problems if you had a accident and were over loaded.
Tow Safe.:wink:

Nonsense - why if you can move it down the road, it must be safe - and heck, if it fails it's not your fault, it's somebody else's!

True story: several years ago my dealership sold a brokerage boat (i.e. a boat we did not own, we just brokered the deal) with a trailer. The trailer brakes were known to be in bad shape. The surveyor pointed it out in his report, as did our salesman. It was recommended by all involved that the boat not be moved until the brakes were repaired. But the buyer wanted to get on the road. He signed a waiver stating he knew the risks, and took off. Guess what? He lost it and totaled both his rig and the boat. Worse than that, he ended up paralyzed from the waist down. But it wasn’t HIS fault for being an idiot, not according to his lawyers anyway. When he sued us, our insurance company settled out of court because, as they put it, 'the guy in the wheelchair always wins'. And they were probably right. Never mind that it wasn't our boat; that he had a written report stating not to use the trailer; that he signed a waiver saying he took full responsibility.

Personal responsibility - where have you gone?

Stories aside, I agree. Just because you have a GVWR of XXX doesn't mean you should really be towing that much since most manufactures these days seem to be in a bidding war to see who can post the highest number in the brochure. I've always liked to have as much truck as I could put under me when towing.