PDA

View Full Version : Silencer - Baffles

rtgogo
08-24-2007, 06:19 AM
Need some advice....
Narrowed my search for a classic down to two 22's, but neither has the silent choice exhaust. Read several threads on the silencers and baffles that can be installed to squelch the roar, but wondered if I can get some comments on their effectiveness. Really kills me to suffocate the motor, BUT my deal with the boss is that the boat will not sound like my Harley (pretty damn loud even by my standards).

Please help...I need to make sure I can do something about the exhaust before I pull the trigger.

Any other options?

Thanks

DonCig
08-24-2007, 06:50 AM
My choice would be:

http://www.danamarineproducts.com/ProductDetails.cfm?productid=1499&CatID=259&group_id=10&CFID=336721&CFTOKEN=6228608

gcarter
08-24-2007, 07:03 AM
Don's choice is good, also Corsa makes some very effective mufflers. Do a search for "exhaust" under boat parts on eBay. Lots of stuff available, some times a real bargain.

BUIZILLA
08-24-2007, 07:13 AM
has anyone gained or subtracted from their combinations, by the addition or subtraction, of the Corsa mufflers??

i'm very curious about this...

gcarter
08-24-2007, 07:35 AM
Jim, I couldn't tell any difference in speed, but Elaine was much happier.
Is this what your question is asking?
I remember when I put on the Corsas, I sent the straight tips to Carl. We both got what we wanted, a difference in sound level. But I don't think either one of us saw any difference in performance.

Carl C
08-24-2007, 07:36 AM
Like gcarter said, there are a lot of new mufflers out that should not hurt performance. Personally I'd let it roar and prove who the boss really is.:wink:

Donziweasel
08-24-2007, 08:26 AM
Buiz,
I ran my Corsa's last summer. The mufflers were welded in. I did not like the sound and wanted them louder. Went to Livorsi tips and no mufflers. Liked the sound, and the motor felt stronger, but this could be a mind trick as a louder motor is probably going to "feel" stronger.
Got a few looks at Jackson Lake, so I decided to get the Livorsi 4 inch muffler inserts. Only 3-4 Decibles quieter, but quiet enough to satisfy the bunny huggers. I will say, my boat feels a little stronger with the pipes off in "quiet" mode getting on a plane. Plus, I can take the inserts out in less than a minute.

BUIZILLA
08-24-2007, 08:50 AM
I am NOT into L_O_U_D at all....

I prefer a more stealth sandbagging approach.... :wink:

But I don't want a performance loss at the same time... there is a point that muffled becomes a detriment to power, and that's the edge I want to live with. As quiet as possible, without a power compromise.

Obnoxiously loud boats remind me of the one guy at the bar with a stinky cigar... he's out to make an impression, you know he's there, but you hate it just the same

undertaker
08-24-2007, 08:57 AM
IMO stock 22 classics w/ 496HO which have the Corsa cans are ALOT quieter than most Harleys....find a boat you like take it for a test ride with the boss and see if ya even need to deal with mufflers etc.....good luck keep us posted...:)

Undertaker:pimp:

Donziweasel
08-24-2007, 08:58 AM
I would say my boat is about as loud as the Corsa's, maybe a tick more. The main difference is the tone. Without the inserts, the boat had more of a high pitched "rattattat" noise. The Livorsi inserts gave it more of a nice deep rumble. Much easier on the ears and I like the Livorsi look better than the Corsa's, looks like it means business.

I usually run in quiet mode around ramps, marinas and when in close proximity to other lounging boats. When not around such things, hey, if you got them, use them!

I never ceased to amaze me when running around with the pipes on, how, when you switch to quiet mode on a plane, how quiet it really is. Just a little wind and you can have a conversation without yelling. Kinda a nice sometimes.

Carl C
08-24-2007, 09:03 AM
I am NOT into L_O_U_D at all....
I prefer a more stealth sandbagging approach.... :wink:
But I don't want a performance loss at the same time... there is a point that muffled becomes a detriment to power, and that the edge I want to live with. As quiet as possible, without a power compromise.
Obnoxiously loud boats remind me of the one guy at the bar with a stinky cigar... he's out to make an impression, you know he's there, but you hate it just the same I feel that way about hot-rod cars. Therefore my '82 Mustang has a full exhaust w/turbo mufflers. IMO lakes are big enough that loud boats are not that obnoxious. There is more room and they are spread out. I love the rumble of my unmuffled 496 BBC and most people agree. I get lots of compliments on the sound. I have the Q&Q for longer off-shore cruises so I don't rattle my head off.

yeller
08-24-2007, 10:44 AM
I like the sound of my 496 with the Corsa cans. Wouldn't want it any louder. If the boats your looking at still have the Corsas, it would probably be good enough for the boss. I'd keep my eyes peeled for a set of Q & Q's. They pop up now and again on ebay and some boat sites. It is really nice to switch through the prop when idling around and trying to hold a conversation.
As a side note, I've noticed absolutely no performance difference when running through transom or through prop.

In fact, I usually run through the prop, but that's because it's my belief that boats are getting too loud and is a major factor in more and more lakes getting speed limits.

Obnoxiously loud boats remind me of the one guy at the bar with a stinky cigar... he's out to make an impression, you know he's there, but you hate it just the same:yes::yes::yes:
A relatively stock motor isn't too bad, but some of these highly modified motors are just waaaaayyyyyy too loud.

zelatore
08-24-2007, 11:50 AM
On my boat with a stock 502 and exhaust, I find it's not very loud even with the exhaust thru-transom. I almost never flip it to run through the drive. My girlfriend is fine with it as well. In fact, she said she'd be fine if I wanted to run new tips that were a little louder as I'd still have the option to run through the drive if it became a problem.

Frankly, when running I pretty much only hear wind noise anyway with the stock tips.

Like they said above - take a test spin and see what you think.

Carl C
08-25-2007, 07:04 AM
On my boat with a stock 502 and exhaust, I find it's not very loud even with the exhaust thru-transom. My girlfriend is fine with it as well. In fact, she said she'd be fine if I wanted to run new tips that were a little louder
Frankly, when running I pretty much only hear wind noise anyway with the stock tips.
She's a keeper! Wind deflectors like wind-aways will stop the wind noise for longer cruising or cooler weather. Get the open tips and let 'er roar! Most boaters like the sound and if lakefront owners have a problem with it then they shouldn't be living on an all-sports lake!

BUIZILLA
08-25-2007, 07:19 AM
Get the open tips and let 'er roar! Most boaters like the sound and if lakefront owners have a problem with it then they shouldn't be living on an all-sports lake! that's a pretty arrogant statement...

DonCig
08-25-2007, 07:21 AM
that's a pretty arrogant statement...
Jim, I see that you are starting out your morning full of piss and vinegar. And to think that you have mellowed since your youth....LOL

Don

Carl C
08-25-2007, 07:42 AM
that's a pretty arrogant statement... I figured that would rub some fur the wrong way but I stand by it! Remember up here it's only 6 months a year and only daylight hours. If I could afford a lakefront home I'd love the sight and sound of performance boats. Sometimes the waterfront dwellers are ignorant too. Like when they clog up the lake idling around on their 'toons and calling the police when anyone makes a little noise out there. If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen. Lakefront owners do not own the lake! If you love Canadian geese and peace and quiet, there are small lakes to live on. Buiz, I think you and I usually agree so please don't take this personal. It's JMO.:)

BUIZILLA
08-25-2007, 07:47 AM
Lakefront owners do not own the lake! neither do obnoxiously loud boat owners... :wink:

Carl C
08-25-2007, 08:10 AM
neither do obnoxiously loud boat owners... :wink: One man's noise is another man's music! Gotta go to work now.

DonCig
08-25-2007, 08:15 AM
One man's noise is another man's music! Gotta go to work now.
Since I have had my pot of Coffee this morning; here it goes...

Loud Boats and Cigar/Cigarette smokers have the same issues; although it may bring great enjoyment to the user, if you blow smoke/exhaust in someones face who does not smoke, or performance boat; you can expect negative reprucusions. Ask the cigarette smokers in Claifornia and Colorado how miserable their recreation has become. What Jim is trying to tell you Carl is that if we as a combined community (performance boaters) do not watch our actions; the day will come when we are all asked to muffle all of our boats due to a few obnoxious bad apples.

Some common respect and courtesy goes a long way in keeping our pastime safe in the future. Personally; I am a huge fan of switchable exhaust. Loud when I want to get high; quiet when I want to smooch.

Since I am a morning person; and I like to ride my Harley and My boat early in the morning; way before the neighbors climb out of bed. I try to be quiet until I am on the open road before I open it up. Keeps my neighbors happy, and they watch my house when I travel.

Don

Donziweasel
08-25-2007, 08:51 AM
Let's face it, I live in the mother of environmentally sensitive areas, including noise pollution. Our airport is the only one in the United States located INSIDE a national park. Plane noise has always been extremely controversial. Bunny Huggers says it detracts from the beauty of the park, businesses say our economy has to have it to survive.

On Jackson Lake, located in Grand Teton National Park, there are plenty of boats with through hull, but most are pretty mild. Mine is actually one of the loudest. I compromise, when I first start my boat, I have the exhaust loud becuase I want to hear the engine and make sure everything is ok and to be honest, it is kinda fun to see the looks that are "damn, that little boat is making that noise?". Once I start backing off the trailer, I kill it. Coming into marinas, on, once past the no wake bouy's, off. When running away from other boats and marinas, on, close to family camping, off. If I get a nasty look, instead of flipping the finger, exhaust goes off, jst trying to be considerate. In the end, I have plenty of time to enjoy the sweet music of my exhaust, but also respect others enjoyment of the lake. My boat is not a 38 ft Fountain with triple 502's slightly muffled. Just a little SBC 16. What is the qoute? "it is only a small block"!

zelatore
08-25-2007, 01:08 PM
First, yes, she's a keeper. :) Any woman who doesn't mind that we have 2 boats, 3 bikes, a car and a truck for just the two of must be OK.

I'm the sort of guy who pretty much feels like you should be able to do what you want so long as it doesn't hurt anybody else. Defining 'hurt' is the problem of course. Personally, I love the sound of performance motors be they cars, bikes, or boats. I'd be perfectly happy to live in the sound shadow of the local drag strip. In my opinion, the noises that need to be muffled are the screeming kids, the barking dogs, the loud music next door, etc. But I'm in the minority. Sure, when I fire up the bike at 6:00 AM to leave for work I keep the RPM down under 3000 or so (for you harely guys, that probably works out to about 1200) until I get out of my little town. Why piss everybody off?

My boat isn't particularly loud, and I'll probably change the exhaust tips eventually to something with a little more volume, but again, there's still a time to flip the switch and keep the peace. I realize there's a time for loud and a time for quiet.

Of course out here in the delta the problem isn't with noise police, but wake nazis. Everybody with a falling apart POS dock or boat thinks you should drift past them. I once had a lady on her crappy live-aboard-it-hasn't-moved-under-it's-own-power-in-a-decade houseboat have a screeming fit because I passed within 100 ft of her at about 15 mph .... in my 10' inflatable which makes a wake in the area of 4" high when on plane.

God, I hate wake nazis! When will they realize that part of the beauty of a boat is that it occasionaly moves more than .0035"! :kaioken:

gpapich
08-25-2007, 02:36 PM
Just to throw in an idea...Have you seen what MTI was doing with a few of their cats? They basically take a Y pipe from each exhaust tip and run the combined exhaust down to the base of the stern at the keel. As you come on plane, the venturi effect of the water running under the hull scavenges the exhaust. Quiet and low back pressure. Read about it in Powerboat somewhere...

I believe they also have a cut out so you can run un-restricted when you want. Think about it. Off-plane around the marina, the boat's as quiet as through-prop exhaust as the exhaust is well below the waterline.

Not a new idea...Kind of like the WWII PT boats running their mufflers w/ cut-outs closed and venting underwater.:propeller:

Carl C
08-25-2007, 06:10 PM
I don't like the cigar smoker comparison. To me it's more like the guy who buys a house near an airport and complains about jet noise. On the Great Lakes it's a non issue because no-one hears me. If I rip it up on Lake Oakland a few hour a week it goes with living on the lake. BTW no one has complained about noise to my face. Everyone loves my boat and sometimes it entices other Donzis to come out and play. One guy at the dock called someone on his cell and said "listen to this" and held the phone by my exhaust. Yet someone usually calls the cops when we run hard around the lake. If I lived on the lake I'd come out and join them or sit on the dock and enjoy watching the sweet boats running. The jet skiers take a lot of crap too (some deserved). Why does someone who hates boats live on an all-sports lake? I understand the other argument about a right to peace and that I'm gonna ruin it for everybody but the above is my opinion as a performance boater. :lookaroun:

gcarter
08-25-2007, 06:29 PM
Just to throw in an idea...Have you seen what MTI was doing with a few of their cats? They basically take a Y pipe from each exhaust tip and run the combined exhaust down to the base of the stern at the keel. As you come on plane, the venturi effect of the water running under the hull scavenges the exhaust. Quiet and low back pressure. Read about it in Powerboat somewhere...
I believe they also have a cut out so you can run un-restricted when you want. Think about it. Off-plane around the marina, the boat's as quiet as through-prop exhaust as the exhaust is well below the waterline.
Not a new idea...Kind of like the WWII PT boats running their mufflers w/ cut-outs closed and venting underwater.:propeller:
Better than that, the supercharging effect would over rev the Packards past the governor and the pilot would have to manually throttle back......
Sounds good to me. Quiet boat and increased performance.
That would frustrate some performance boaters...having to run silently to get the most out of the boat!!!:yes::)

yeller
08-25-2007, 06:33 PM
There has been a large increase in the # of fast, loud boats within the last decade. 1 or 2 loud boats won't normally cause a complaint, but as it becomes more common, complaints will happen. What about the waterfront owner that was there when the lake was more peaceful. Aren't we the intruders then?

If one guy walks past my house and farts, I'm not going to complain. If 10 people walk past my house and fart, I'm going to raise an eyebrow. If a pig farm opens up next door....damn rights, I'm going to complain. Meanwhile the new pig farmer is wondering what the problem is. The smell doesn't bother him...he's used to it....and besides, he figures I don't own the property next door, so he should be able to do what he wants.

See what you started rtgogo. :wink:

Carl C
08-25-2007, 06:52 PM
On my lake my airport analogy is true because this lake has long had a lot of Donzis and other performance boats. Now new people are moving in and complaining. Maybe another reason to move up to a real off-shore boat and forget these ponds? (ZR):wink:

DonCig
08-25-2007, 08:59 PM
I don't like the cigar smoker comparison. To me it's more like the guy who buys a house near an airport and complains about jet noise. On the Great Lakes it's a non issue because no-one hears me. If I rip it up on Lake Oakland a few hour a week it goes with living on the lake. BTW no one has complained about noise to my face. Everyone loves my boat and sometimes it entices other Donzis to come out and play. One guy at the dock called someone on his cell and said "listen to this" and held the phone by my exhaust. Yet someone usually calls the cops when we run hard around the lake. If I lived on the lake I'd come out and join them or sit on the dock and enjoy watching the sweet boats running. The jet skiers take a lot of crap too (some deserved). Why does someone who hates boats live on an all-sports lake? I understand the other argument about a right to peace and that I'm gonna ruin it for everybody but the above is my opinion as a performance boater. :lookaroun:
Do you smoke?

Just curious.

Don

LKSD
08-25-2007, 09:59 PM
My 2 cents.. I have done a lot of exhaust mods & tips swaps on countless hulls including many Donzi's..

In my experiences the corsa muffler tips are one of the least power robbing tips out there with the gibsons & Cmi also being good.

As a rule I would say that the tip swaps only to a non baffled tip would rarely make more than a 1 mph difference at most.. Thats almost not even noticable to be honest.

That being said the corsa muffler tips some in different models & sizes of baffles that are inside.. For example even though there are a few different four inch tips they come in different diameter baffled cans on the outside..

The corsa tips that come on the Donzi classics are large & flow well on the stock engines for what they are. So you shouldnt be afraid of running them on a 22' with any stock engine, It should also get the blessing from your Mrs.. :)

I personally like a boat with some bark & bite, but I do not like it oxbnoxiously loud. I like the boat to just be elegantly assertive.. I like power & class from the boat, not just hey look at me, look at me!... :pimp: I do run straight thru tips on my boat, but I fabricated a cage style very free flowing baffle to it. It leaves the deep thunder sound, but takes out what I consider to be the obnoxious crackeling & higher pitch noise that people find annoying.. My boat is not much louder than stock, but it does have a little deeper tone to it.

I guess I just dont want my raft sounding like a 16 year old punk kid that just put a set of headers & glass pack on his geo storm... lol...:D :convertib:

Good luck in your quest & keep us posted as to how you make out.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

Carl C
08-26-2007, 06:58 AM
Do you smoke?
Just curious.
Don Never have, never will. The cigar analogy doesn't work for me because my boat isn't disrupting the whole lake. The majority of the folks on the water and shore are into boating. They like my boat. They wave and come over and talk to me. Several lakefront owners have Donzis and other performance boats. Noise is nothing new on Lake Oakland. I've boated there about 23 years. I've watched the open motor jets and v-drives become nearly extinct (I miss them). I've talked with a few lake dwellers whom I know and the story is that new people are buying or building mega-homes on the waterfront and they are the ones "making the noise" by calling the cops. BTW the police are pretty decent here and I don't think they apreciate all of the petty complaints. IMO the sleds running all night in the winter are much worse. The boats are done at dusk. I am a little tired of goosehuggers thinking they own the lake and here they are the minority. edit: Don, I want to add one more thing. I am considerate and am never out until afternoon. By then the fishermen and others have enjoyed the morning tranquility. If I were out earlier I would switch to quiet mode. I am not arrogant. I hope you guys don't think I'm the idiot out there when I am one of the most experienced and considerate boaters on the lake. Even the police know this. I have never had a water ticket, I am just loud. Thanks for listening and please go easy on me! This seems to be a hot subject.

rtgogo
08-26-2007, 07:34 AM
Hmmmmm...my questions took an unexpected turn somewhere a day or so ago...guess no one out there has an opinion :smash:...
Just for the record...I love a good cigar and the Rienhart pipes on my Harley uncovered a beast...that said...I don't smoke around others who don't enjoy it and rarely twist the throttle on purpose to catch an ear...well not unless they desrve it :wink:
I road in the 16 Nelems has for sale yesterday and the Corsa thru hull sounded nice (nice rumble, not too loud). BTW, it's a nice boat..just not big enough for what I need...so with that my search continues...you guys told me to ride in these things before i pulled the trigger...one down...

Carl C
08-26-2007, 07:50 AM
Hmmmmm...my questions took an unexpected turn somewhere a day or so ago...guess no one out there has an opinion :smash:...
Just for the record...I love a good cigar and the Rienhart pipes on my Harley uncovered a beast...that said...I don't smoke around others who don't enjoy it and rarely twist the throttle on purpose to catch an ear...well not unless they desrve it :wink:
I road in the 16 Nelems has for sale yesterday and the Corsa thru hull sounded nice (nice rumble, not too loud). BTW, it's a nice boat..just not big enough for what I need...so with that my search continues...you guys told me to ride in these things before i pulled the trigger...one down... "Loud pipes save lives":rlol:. On the road anyway. I guess you struck a few nerves but it is an interesting topic to discuss. Try an 18 and a 22 and decide which boat is right for you. Don't wory about the sound. Exhaust tips are easy to change to make louder or quieter. Good luck in your search.

zelatore
08-26-2007, 11:54 AM
"Loud pipes save lives":rlol:.

Oh man, next thing you know we'll be discussing manditory helmet laws! :eek!:

BUIZILLA
08-26-2007, 11:58 AM
Oh man, next thing you know we'll be discussing mandatory helmet laws! :eek!: this is easy... if you don't have any brains, you don't need a helmet... :wink::)

however, there are a few of us that have mere morsels of brain matter we NEED to preserve...... :yes:

LKSD
08-26-2007, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by Carl C
"Loud pipes save lives".

No no no... Loud pipes save wives.... lol... :D :D :eek!::bonk: J

yeller
08-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Hmmmmm...my questions took an unexpected turn somewhere a day or so ago...Guilty as charged. :(

...guess no one out there has an opinion ...Actually I did give my opinion before I hopped the train down a different path and that was to keep the Corsa cans that are on the boat and look for a 'take off' set of Q & Q's. :)

zelatore
08-26-2007, 12:54 PM
...guess no one out there has an opinion :smash:...

OPINION: The stock thru-transom isn't that loud with the baffels - and you can make it louder/quieter as needed by changing the tips. I don't think the Q&Q is manditory and wouldn't let it be a deciding factor.

There....not one motorcycle, airport, or cigar comment :wink:

gcarter
08-26-2007, 08:24 PM
...you guys told me to ride in these things before i pulled the trigger...one down...
Yep, ride in a few more. Ya got a bang up event next weekend almost in your back yard. Ya oughta make it even for just a few hours. There's no real rush on this stuff. In a few months they'll be cheaper and a lot more of them available.

Carl C
08-27-2007, 08:38 AM
Yep, ride in a few more. Ya got a bang up event next weekend almost in your back yard. Ya oughta make it even for just a few hours. There's no real rush on this stuff. In a few months they'll be cheaper and a lot more of them available. Blame this guy! He's the one who sold me my straight through tips!:wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wink::wi nk::wink: