PDA

View Full Version : starter help please

lee
08-23-2007, 01:31 PM
i also have a 93 searay sunsport 38 with twin 502's i had a starter bolt break off in the block i have tried to pick it out and tried to drill it out cant get it out. but was wondering if there was a starter that i could buy that would fit my engine using the 2 holes closest to the flywheel instead of the stagered bolt hole more towards the front of the engine since that is the one with the bolt broke in it. really dont want to pull the engine will try anything

MOP
08-23-2007, 02:06 PM
I would go to a starter shop, they may be able to match up a nose that would work. The straight and offset bolt patterns are to accommodate two different size flywheels!

Phil

glashole
08-23-2007, 03:13 PM
I have seen first hand (standing on the dock drinking beer) a "gentleman" use JB Weld on just such a problem at the AOTH this year

he let it set up and backed the bolt right out :)

98shovel
08-23-2007, 03:24 PM
weld a nut to the broke bolt then back it out

lee
08-23-2007, 05:02 PM
it is broke 1/4-1/3 inch in the block

98shovel
08-23-2007, 05:12 PM
lee
starter bolts are shoulderd to align the motor u could drill and easy out the broke bolt or weld very carefull weld does not like cast iron so it would stick to the bolt more than the block if u choose the weld find an old head and try a couple practice runs first or a good freind thats done it before

MOP
08-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Spoke to my electric guy this afternoon, NG on a nose that would work. Your options are limited!

Phil

lee
08-23-2007, 10:20 PM
Spoke to my electric guy this afternoon, NG on a nose that would work. Your options are limited!
Philthanks blew the flywheel in the donzi so i got two boats that don't run and have to pull a engine out of both and my friends think i'n cool notttttttttttttt! guess i will be a top notch wrench turner soon
why do i do this to my self could show up with a full cooler and gas money for a friends boat i'm a idiot to own two boats and even more when both are broke at the same time when my season is only 6 months and i pay for 2 slips