PDA

View Full Version : Lower Unit repair?

Trueser
08-22-2007, 08:47 PM
What is the trick on pulling out the lower carrier? IT seems stuck big time. And yes I removed the nut and locking washer. The tool I purchased doesnt seem to hold. It may need some adjustment.

Any tricks that Im missing?

mrfixxall
08-22-2007, 09:52 PM
What is the trick on pulling out the lower carrier? IT seems stuck big time. And yes I removed the nut and locking washer. The tool I purchased doesnt seem to hold. It may need some adjustment.
Any tricks that Im missing?
you need a vary ling (jaws) two arm puller..mines a little differant then the one in the pic tho..try putting 2 hose clamps around the jaws to keep them from sliding off..

http://www.ebasicpower.com/pc/GLM90095/MER3I-IB/Bearing+Carrier+Puller,+Mercruiser,+Mercury,+Marin er.html

Trueser
08-22-2007, 09:58 PM
That is what I purchased, the end are poor and need to be ground down.

Try again this weekend.

oldandtired
08-22-2007, 11:20 PM
I made my own puller for a Bravo by using a the puller that comes with a bearing separator kit and some threaded rod. I threaded the rod into the holes for the sacrificial anode that is on the carrier and used some washers on the rod so that the puller would have something to hang on to. I don't know if that will work with an Alpha, but it may be worth a try. BTW the holes on the carrier were fine thread. I gave up on finding fine thread rod so I just cut off some fine thread screws and connected them to regular all thread with a barrel nut and brazed them together. Worked like a champ,

Rene

Rootsy
08-23-2007, 06:25 AM
they make a puller that is one solid piece that slides over the propshaft and down into the carrier.. you give ti a bit of a twist and it rotates some protrusions beneath the strutting in the carrier... you then turn the screw and it comes right out.... Maybe Buizilla will post a photo of his...

JR