PDA

View Full Version : Depth sounder question

DON-Z-26ZX
08-21-2007, 07:31 AM
I'm looking to install a new sounder, because I've not been able to find the "sweet spot" for a good shoot thru location for the transducer. The one I purchased from West Marine seems to be a decent product, it's a "Hawkeye". I get depth readings when off plane, but as soon as I start to get on plane, depth goes away. I know it has to do with the steps, & I've got it mounted about 6" from the transom, & up from the keel. I've moved it 3 times, & the readings are the same. Perhaps I need to go to a different brand, or am I just going to have to bite the bullet & go to a transom mount. I am really trying to avoid that, but I may not have a choice. Anyone have the same trouble with the ZX? Any tips will be greatly appreciated....:yes:

Splash
08-21-2007, 09:11 AM
I have a 26zx and have the same problem, I have a transom mounted Transducer and it does the same thing. I then purchased a angle puck
type and tried it in three or four different spots and had the same results.
It works until the boat gets on plane then it just reads 4'. The only spot I was going to try is in the front bilge area by the step into the cabin, I know on some boats they try to get the transducer in front of the steps on the hull, the problem with that is once you really get going that part of the Hull will probably be out of the water.
Can't believe you can't get a working depth finder with a Step Hull.
Here is a pic of my transducer, thought about moving it down more but I don't think it will really help.
Jim

BUIZILLA
08-21-2007, 09:23 AM
that transducer won't shoot through air bubbles and a step hull magnify's the air bubbles even more... :wink:

MOP
08-21-2007, 09:57 AM
You need to shoot through ahead of the forward step, you will have a reading at moderate cruise but little to none at speed. Like Jim says just to many bubbles aft!

Phil

zelatore
08-21-2007, 10:55 AM
Interestingly enough, I have the same sounder in my 22 Classic. I'd say I get a reading 30-40% of the time, on plane or not.

I've never been good at locating transducers for some reason. Currently I have mine mounted in the bottom of the engine room just at the front of the motor, behind the bilge pumps. By all logic I can manage (ha!) that should be a good place...it should have a good clean flow of water all the time but still I loose readings even at idle.

Since I typically install large through-hull transducers and fairing blocks at work, I'm not especially familier with this style unit. But I'm betting one or two guys on this board are....

:confused:

DON-Z-26ZX
08-21-2007, 03:43 PM
I did consider mounting it forward of the step. I have the access to the front bilge pump, & it would be quite easy to install there. I just don't know how long it would read before that part of the hull is out of the water. I may give it try just to see how long it does read, I've tried every other place....Dam "Step Hull"...:wink: