PDA

View Full Version : Donzi newbie (16 Ski Sporter)

smbarcelow
08-20-2007, 09:50 AM
After 20 years of dreaming, I finally own a Donzi. I just bought a 1977 Donzi 16 Ski Sporter with a 350 Chevy and Volvo 270 outdrive. I had her out for a bit yesterday, dispite the rain, and she ran decent. She misses badly when the engine is heavily loaded (like when planing or attempting to accelerate quickly), but that shouldn't be too difficult to figure out. She smooths out real nice once up to speed. Any guesses what my top speed should be with this (stock) setup when shes running well? What is she capable of with some work? Thanks!
Shaun

gold-n-rod
08-20-2007, 11:15 AM
Awesome boat, Shaun. Welcome to the sickness. Tony can tell you all about Ski Sporters.

Clarksville..... the one by Portland? Tony just happens to live in Portland.

Again, welcome.

Randy

smbarcelow
08-20-2007, 12:23 PM
Thanks Randy. Yes, it's the Clarksville near Portland. I'll probably run the boat at Morrison Lake most of the time. I live a couple hundred yards from the lake and have a couple options for a boat lift. I'm looking forward to trailering it quite a bit, too. My inlaws live on Pickerel Lake in Newaygo, so we'll spend plenty of time there, too.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning a lot here and, hopefully, getting to know some fellow Donzi owners. I relied on this site quite a bit while I was searching for the right boat.

Shaun

Tony
08-20-2007, 09:41 PM
Great boat, Shaun, and welcome to the board!

Morrison Lake should be well familiar with Donzi Ski Sporter's, as I splashed my old '67 there quite a bit. My boat had a souped-up 302 Ford with a Volvo AQ200b on it, and I usually maxed out at about 60 mph. But...it felt like about 80 because of the helmet slop in the outdrive combined with a bit of chine walk.

How long have you lived in Clarksville? If you have kids, and if any of them have gone through the Lakewood Middle School, I likely know them since I've taught at Lakewood for quite a number of years.

smbarcelow
08-21-2007, 08:27 AM
I'm pretty sure I saw your Donzi out there. That kind of thing doesn't go un-noticed. My dad has an 18' Checkmate with a 455 Olds and Jacuzzi pump that I grew up driving. It's been a few years since it's been in, but he worked on it on Friday before he went to help me pick up my boat.

My parents live on the north side of the lake (Saranac) and I live at the east end (Clarksville). I've spent all but the first year of my life there. My son will be starting DK at Saranac in the fall. (We live right on the border.) That's where I graduated, too.

smoothie
08-23-2007, 10:25 PM
Congrats on the long wait! Looks like a nice original boat..

smbarcelow
08-24-2007, 08:49 AM
Thanks! Now the work begins. Couple questions:

Does anybody know if the Chevy 350 came originally with aluminum heads, or are these after market?

What RPM should the engine turn when topped out? I'm running about 4500, which seems a bit low. I have no idea what prop I have yet.

I'm just getting to know the boat. This weekend looks like good weather, so I should have a decent opportunity to do that.

Shaun

RKDN Sun
08-24-2007, 12:09 PM
I have had a 1979 Ski Sporter for 22 years and love it. The only thing I have found it lacking in is space. I recently bought a 1990 24 foot Black Widow but I can not sell the 16 footer, too many great memories! We now take both out and my 18 year old uses the 16 footer. I can almost keep up with him in the Black Widow if I ignore the fact that I am really red lining the Black Widow.

My Ski Sportier has a 350 and Volvo 280. Thanks to the previous owner it came with the owner’s manual and a shop manual for both the engine and lower unit, in addition to four props.

The boat red lines at 5,000 RPM’s and depending upon the prop I can get it up to 55 mph with the trim tabs and engine fully trimmed.

Sam
08-25-2007, 09:38 AM
Welcome and congrats on your new toy :yes:.You need to bring it down to Lk Cumberland next spring for our "Awakening Of The Horses" event. Do a search and read all about it.

Sam