PDA

View Full Version : Yatch Launch

Surfer
08-20-2007, 07:23 AM
And you thought you had ramp problems!

Donziweasel
08-20-2007, 07:39 AM
This was posted before, but still a good pic. In the one where it is falling, you can see a guy crouching in the stern port corner.

cutwater
08-20-2007, 09:00 AM
It looks like you can also see another guy's arm directly forward of the crouching guy... That would have been a wild ride.

zelatore
08-20-2007, 10:35 AM
I'm sure if I dig around in my old memos I can find the official story on that, but I can get the basics from memory.

That was a new Marquis (Carver) 55 being off-loaded in (I think) Dubai. It was a sold boat, complete with the new owner present I believe. The 2 guys on board are dealer employees. While craning the boat off, the fwd sling slipped out from under the bow and this is the result. But there's even more fun...

The harbor isn't that deep. The bow of the boat actually hit bottom before it ended up floating upside down. OK, any of you who've delt with a sunk boat know that it could have been salvaged, but apparently they ended up leaving it there for some time (never heard why) before hauling it. Hmmm...a week or so upside down in salt water...now the salvage just got harder!

The problem wasn't Carever's fault, or the dealer, but the rigger. I'm sure their insurance didn't enjoy that as the boat is around $1.5M. I don't have an options list, but that gets you in the ballpark.

As for the client and dealer, happy endings all around. They sold him a new 65 to replace it before the old boat was even out of the water. (hey, I like the 65 a lot better anyway...I've got 2 at my docks now).

When the pics first started coming out, Carver sent us dealers a memo saying 'OK, you're all going to get questions...here's what really happened'.

BTW, the guys on the boat were OK.

But it does look like a photoshop job, doesn't it? The pics seem to perfect! :)

hardcrab
08-20-2007, 11:01 AM
I agree, I've seen these pics before and I've suspected photoshop.
:lookaroun:

Morgan's Cloud
08-20-2007, 01:15 PM
I have to admit , the splash of the boat entering the water looks hokey to say the least. The other shots look normal though.

Last Tango
08-20-2007, 02:04 PM
I don't think the guy on board is so much "crouching" as sliding through the stairwell. It would have happened way too fast for him to react any other way.
Also, it does make the case for not having folks on board when hoisting.

I think the "perfect splash" at the bow can be traced back to the design of the hull. The hull does not know it is entering the water vertically. It is just splitting the water as it was designed to do.

You can also see the two port-side under-seat hatch covers going past the windshield.