PDA

View Full Version : Does the 496 have an engine oil sender

Donzigo
08-19-2007, 09:02 PM
Does the 496HO have a place for the engine oil temperature sender to plug in. The 454s had an oil temp sender and i have the two gauges on the dash that are dea with the new engines. I do not have the Smartcraft package, which probably has the oil temp readings; so I need to put an oil temp sender somewhere on the engine.

MOP
08-19-2007, 09:07 PM
Rich if there is a gauge there has to be a sender.

Phil

Ed Donnelly
08-20-2007, 02:26 AM
Mop; The gauges were there when he had the 454's
There should be a plug near the oil filter that will take a sender...Ed

Donzigo
08-20-2007, 07:23 AM
Ed, you are right, I had the gauge with the 454. I haven't snooped around too much; because, we were spending our time tracing the electrical problem. But, now that it's solved, I thought I would try to find that plug close to the oil filter. I hoped that someone might already know where it is.........if there is one at all.

Anybody know?

mrfixxall
08-20-2007, 10:06 AM
Ed, you are right, I had the gauge with the 454. I haven't snooped around too much; because, we were spending our time tracing the electrical problem. But, now that it's solved, I thought I would try to find that plug close to the oil filter. I hoped that someone might already know where it is.........if there is one at all.
Anybody know?

The oil temp sender needs to be in the oil pan,,it cant moniter oil temps accurately because it will also be montiering the cast block that its screwed in to..

Ed Donnelly
08-20-2007, 10:15 AM
mrfixxall; My Criterion came with a temp gauge, and the sender was in the block. Stands to reason it would be more accurate in the pan, but a much harder install......Ed

mrfixxall
08-20-2007, 10:53 AM
mrfixxall; My Criterion came with a temp gauge, and the sender was in the block. Stands to reason it would be more accurate in the pan, but a much harder install......Ed

Ya think someone would make a oil plug with the sender in it:wink:

BUIZILLA
08-20-2007, 11:45 AM
locate your oil cooler inlet fitting, make a *T* at that connection and screw in the sender there, that will tell you real world before cooler temps.

Your sender will be 1/4 or 3/8 NPT if it's mechanical or 1/8 or 1/4 NPT if it's electrical.

I drink Corona or Icehouse in case your wondering...

RickR
08-20-2007, 01:09 PM
Late model Gen V marine engines had a bung on the port side of the oil pan, yours should too (Mark VI?)
Thats where I put my oil temp sender.

Ed Donnelly
08-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Buizilla; You are 100% correct. I forgot about the TRS bellhousing coolers.
My turbos sat too low, so I had to do a little chop job on the top of the bellhousing.. Just did it 11 years ago funny I forgot.....Ed