PDA

View Full Version : blackhawk question

goatee
08-19-2007, 07:36 PM
aside from the outdrive, the rocker in the hull is the only other difference in a b.h and a 22 classic. (if i am right)
is the rocker "bubbled" in or out?
what are the dimensions of a rocker?
what is the purpose of it ,,specifically?
thank you.

Lenny
08-19-2007, 08:13 PM
aside from the outdrive, the rocker in the hull is the only other difference in a b.h and a 22 classic. (if i am right)
is the rocker "bubbled" in or out?
what are the dimensions of a rocker?
what is the purpose of it ,,specifically?
thank you.

It also has a higher X dimension. The rocker is basically a shaved area (removal of material so to peak) from port and starboard, all across the width of the hull and and getting greater (more material gone) as it gets to the transom where it is greatest. It starts about 8 feet forward of the transom.

Purpose? to create a low drag running surface that promotes a bow up attitude as the Blackhawk does not trim the bow up as well as a standard outdrive. This modification accomplishes this for the drive already so that it can do what it is best at, and does not need much of itself wetted to handle the boats ride angle.

Think of it as two hulls. A slow speed hull and a high speed hull all incorporated into one. Makes for some interesting wave jumping and porpoising characteristics too :D

Mr X
08-19-2007, 08:14 PM
The fuel tank was moved aft also.

goatee
08-19-2007, 10:51 PM
okay,,, so it is not "shaved" in just part of the hull , as it is "shaved" all the way to the stern.
a side view would almost make it look "v" shaped?
at slow speeds, shaft is higher........at high speeds it is lower/ bow is higher?
a step hull, without the step?

glashole
08-20-2007, 08:10 AM
:) the most recognizable thing would be that the men driving them have larger than normal "male bulges" below the waist and above the knees :bonk:

DonCig
08-20-2007, 08:26 AM
It also has a higher X dimension. The rocker is basically a shaved area (removal of material so to peak) from port and starboard, all across the width of the hull and and getting greater (more material gone) as it gets to the transom where it is greatest. It starts about 8 feet forward of the transom.
Purpose? to create a low drag running surface that promotes a bow up attitude as the Blackhawk does not trim the bow up as well as a standard outdrive. This modification accomplishes this for the drive already so that it can do what it is best at, and does not need much of itself wetted to handle the boats ride angle.
Think of it as two hulls. A slow speed hull and a high speed hull all incorporated into one. Makes for some interesting wave jumping and porpoising characteristics too :D
Lenny, nice job of detailing the hull modifications; which makes me want to ask what type of handling boat does one obtain if placing a standard Bravo drive in place of the Blackhawk drive on these hulls. Who in the registry has tested this combination?

roadtrip se
08-20-2007, 09:42 AM
Results? Not so good.

The BHLE boat I drove had a Bravo AND a two inch spacer. Results were abysmal... diving to the left and a porpise that wouldn't quit with all variations of trim and tab.

Interesting enough, the only guys that seem to promote this "FIX" to the BHLE handling nuances are the ones trying to sell a BHLE.

goatee
08-20-2007, 10:12 AM
well that answers my next question.

blackhawk
08-20-2007, 11:17 AM
I wish I would have tried a Bravo with a shortie on my blackhawk. I think the combo of the rocker hull and a shallow propshaft might be a good combo.

boxy
08-20-2007, 11:30 AM
:) the most recognizable thing would be that the men driving them have larger than normal "male bulges" below the waist and above the knees :bonk:

So then, can we conclude that men who are selling their BlackHawks are missing this male bulge ?????

Signed
Anon Ontario BoatTrader Reader :D

roadtrip se
08-20-2007, 11:48 AM
I wish I would have tried a Bravo with a shortie on my blackhawk. I think the combo of the rocker hull and a shallow propshaft might be a good combo.

Another board member bought a BH hull that this had been done to. We had to take a close look at it to identify it as a BH boat, because it didn't have the BHLE graphics package.

Once they got the shortie off of it and put the right drive on, the boat ran a lot better.

As for the bulge, you had better have one if you intend to get behind the wheel of one of these things!

goatee
08-20-2007, 12:05 PM
i aint escared!

goatee
08-20-2007, 12:10 PM
scott, i miss that yellow 22 you had.(22 at it's finest) was that a BH?
i noticed mike a. using a pic of it for his avatar there for a while...did he buy it? what are you riding now? is it your current avatar?
details, we want details

roadtrip se
08-20-2007, 04:31 PM
i aint escared!

C'mon down and we'll throw you in the boat with Gero.

Standard Gero warm-up procedure:

1) Quote, un-quote, "idle" out of the marina at about 10mph and 900rpms.

2) Enter end of no-wake zone and put her up on plane.

3) Push throttle all the way to the stops.

4) Control speed for the rest of the day via the tabs.

5) Grin until it hurts and he will wave with both hands as he passes you.

Goat, I could you see you in one of these things, but just remember what company you will be keeping. Glashole ain't right either.

blackhawk
08-20-2007, 05:37 PM
scott, i miss that yellow 22 you had.(22 at it's finest) was that a BH?
i noticed mike a. using a pic of it for his avatar there for a while...did he buy it? what are you riding now? is it your current avatar?
details, we want details

Yes my 22 was a Blackhawk. I sold it to a guy in NH.

I now have a Pantera 24.

blackhawk
08-20-2007, 05:40 PM
Another board member bought a BH hull that this had been done to. We had to take a close look at it to identify it as a BH boat, because it didn't have the BHLE graphics package.
Once they got the shortie off of it and put the right drive on, the boat ran a lot better.
As for the bulge, you had better have one if you intend to get behind the wheel of one of these things!

Like I said, I wish I would have tried it. With the right prop it might work and work well.

blackhawk
08-20-2007, 05:57 PM
okay,,, so it is not "shaved" in just part of the hull , as it is "shaved" all the way to the stern.
a side view would almost make it look "v" shaped?
at slow speeds, shaft is higher........at high speeds it is lower/ bow is higher?
a step hull, without the step?
Hook is concave, rocker is convex.
A picture is worth a 1000 words. Obviously I embelished how drastic it is so it is easier to see.

And yeah, I know I'm a wiz with paint! :D

gold-n-rod
08-20-2007, 06:43 PM
Ahh, so my 16 has a hook from the factory. What's that do?

goatee
08-20-2007, 10:32 PM
ok, i do see a slight change in the rocker. (understanding its not to scale)
and i can see why it would not be the easiest to ride.
now,,,,the hook? never heard of it, looks like it would would be an easy ride.
plane nice, almost do the job your tabs would be for.
what donzis have hooks? any 18's or 22's

"Goat, I could you see you in one of these things, but just remember what company you will be keeping. Glashole ain't right either"

funny how people with a speed fetish are so easily spotted.:smash::smash:

glashole
08-21-2007, 06:17 AM
WFO MF :bonk:

blackhawk
08-21-2007, 11:23 AM
I don't know what Donzis have hooks. But goatee you are correct they will plane easier and ride flatter. The downside is they CAN scrub a couple mph. A lot of people consider hook to be "bad". I think it depends on the boat. If a hook was intentionaly put in a hull it was put there for a reason.

My U19 had a slight hook between the strakes. At speed in reletively calm water the hook was up and out of the water. In rouger water the larger waves would force water between the strakes and then the hook was doing it's job, which was keeping the boat flat. Now a lot of people would state that this is where the hook slowed the boat down, which in theory is correct. BUT, the hook allowed me to keep the boat trimmed out and running WFO. Without the hook I would have to either tuck the drive in, drag some tab or work the throttles. I could simply stay in the throttle, keep her trimmed out and let the hull do it's job. So, maybe "the hull" was a slower hull but the combo made it just as fast or faster IMO.

So, it really depends on how drastic the hook is, how long it is and where it is placed. But, the desired result is usually a flatter riding boat.

Lenny
08-21-2007, 11:41 AM
Yes, the 16 HAS a hook, but it is only on the outside of the outer lifting strake. At speed it does not contact the water and has little effect. It was to assist speed to plane and slow (35-ish) speed towing for ,... wait for it...

The Ski Sporter. It is still there today, 43 years later, on 16's.

Sweet little 16
08-21-2007, 11:57 AM
I have often wondered about this as the hook is never dry it is always in contact with the water, on the surface of the water when at slow speeds and a planing speeds it deflects the spray running up the hull that has to have some effect on the hull???

blackhawk
08-22-2007, 08:48 AM
I have often wondered about this as the hook is never dry it is always in contact with the water, on the surface of the water when at slow speeds and a planing speeds it deflects the spray running up the hull that has to have some effect on the hull???

I don't think the hook plays much of a role at higher speeds because it isn't running surface. Yes the spray hits the hook even when trimmed out but I think the affects are very minimal. Just my $.02.