PDA

View Full Version : 16 imco shorty

younger
08-18-2007, 09:55 PM
Was thinking of running a 2" imco shorty on my 16 classic. Currently running health 400 hp sbc on alpha gen II 1.32 ratio. Best top speed to date is 72 mph. Running 19 pitch laser II@ 5700 rpm. The alpha drive prop shaft is 6.75 " below the bottom of the boat. Would the imco shorty offer much advantage in this application with the high x-dimention and reduced drag? Or would I loose any possible gains trying to turn the bigger hardware of the bravo imco gears and bearing? And if there were any gains what kind of mph could I expect?

Last Real Texan
08-19-2007, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=younger;421656]Was thinking of running a 2" imco shorty on my 16 classic. Currently running health 400 hp sbc on alpha gen II 1.32 ratio. Best top speed to date is 72 mph. Running 19 pitch laser II@ 5700 rpm. The alpha drive prop shaft is 6.75 " below the bottom of the boat. Would the imco shorty offer much advantage in this application with the high x-dimention and reduced drag? Or would I loose any possible gains trying to turn the bigger hardware of the bravo imco gears and bearing? And if there were any gains what kind of mph could I expect?[/QUOTE
Would have to not only replace the alpha with a bravon unit , including bell housing, gimbal ,transom assebly and a Bravo I upper then the shorty could be bolted up....lots of work to try to gain a little bit.....not sure if IMCO makes a shorty for the Alpha, if they do , go for it. On the other hand on a large sinlgle that already had a bravo and deep drive the shorty picked me up by about 3 MPH.

LRT

gcarter
08-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Rootsy had a very healthy running 80 MPH 16......he was running an Alpha SS drive which does the same thing. Might cost the same as a shorty though. I know of a couple of folks w/SS's that might want to part w/them.