PDA

View Full Version : Packard 27

Harley Dave
08-18-2007, 08:36 PM
I happened across a 1995 Packard 27, very unique boat. 7.4 merc and bravo one. Having trouble finding any info, I believe it was manufactured in so western Fla. Anybody have any history on these boats? Are there any of these around?

Gearhead99
08-19-2007, 09:44 PM
See them at the Lauderdale and Miami shows. Seems they make two lengths.

Very good looking boats. Don't know anyone that has/had one. They are $$$ new.

There was one in the Speed movie. Not the original one with the runaway bus, but the one with the runaway cruise ship that crashes into the dock.
There is a Packard running around with the good guys toward the end.

The 27 has the aft compartment doesn't it??

Harley Dave
08-20-2007, 03:22 PM
yes, it has rear controls, and a passenger compartment just forward. I will try and post a couple of photos soon. My inquiries regarding the manufacturer have come up dry..seems they have gone out of business recently. I was hoping to find out how they go in the water, how fast etc. Very odd design.

BUIZILLA
08-20-2007, 03:51 PM
foggy memory says it was the Ft Myers/Cape Coral area...

MOP
08-20-2007, 07:12 PM
We serviced one for quite a few years, it had an OMC package. Has an interesting look a head turner, the ride was poor in a chop unless the tabs were down a ways then it was Ok but wet!

Phil

Harley Dave
08-20-2007, 08:49 PM
a search on the web only turned up one hit, a 27 packard in New York for sale, I think they were asking 56,000 for a 95 model

schifo_8625@msn.com
10-14-2007, 09:03 PM
I have one for sale in Stuart, FL. It's the smaller one with a 210 Crusader i/b. I have it on yachtworld.com
Call me (772) 285-2266 with any questions Cadilac

Ghost
01-07-2008, 09:49 PM
There was a less-than-quarter-page blurb on them in Boating (I think, or maybe MB&S) years ago. They also got a mention in this article:

http://www.yachtingmagazine.com/article.jsp?ID=21015223

but all it said was this:

"Packard Heritage A 27-foot double c0ckpit runabout powered by a single diesel or gas inboard or sterndrive. Price: $125,000. Packard Boat Company, www.packardboatcompany.com (http://www.packardboatcompany.com) "

I know from the blurb in one of the boating mags as well as their now-defunct web site that they had a range of models, maybe 5 or so, from about 20 to 27. The 27 Heritage that's been for sale in NY is more like the old decked mahogany boat layouts. They also had a "Sportsman" model with an open c0ckpit and a center motorbox, but pictures on the site were pretty sparse.

I emailed them years ago when the site was still up but never heard back. Looked like a classic, interesting, and well built boat--sorry they didn't make it.

mbuhrig
05-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Hi all,
New here by way of a search for "Packard Heritage Split ****pit".
I am originally from South Florida where I found the first hull they produced. She was used as the brochure boat and then a factory test/race boat. Built in '89. She is unusual because they pulled the original I/O and added a GT300, they did this with two of their hulls.
She has been a great boat when used, however, I moved to El Paso 2 years ago, the boat came with me and has sat in a warehouse ever since.
I would like to sell it but not much water here and I am not sure what the best way to get exposure would be or even fair market value.
The company was in Cape Coral for a time after the name Packard was bought from the holding company (I have some records with the whole story and what the original company name was, "Piper" I think). They had a hard time selling enough to stay in business, mostly custom rigged, about $125k. I think that price came from the name, custom nature of the boat and probably a little ahead of their time with the foamcore construction (less than 3000lbs and very strong, not much wood). The molds were then bought by a Kentucky company that was going to start producing them again. That was probably 3 or 4 years ago.
Most of this info is second hand but the boats quality and performance is great. Definitely started a lot of conversations at the dock.
I would love to hear any ideas on selling her or more info on the company.
Marc
(THIS IS FUNNY! WHEN I PREVIEWED THE POST, "****pit" WAS CENSORED, THE ASTERISKS WERE SUBSTITUTED FOR WHAT I WROTE :lookaroun: ) Sorry!

gcarter
05-29-2008, 08:25 PM
Marc, are you related to the late Gordon Buhrig?
Who was one of the great auto stylists of all time (Cord and many others).

mbuhrig
05-29-2008, 09:00 PM
I wish I could claim that! Makes me want to check my genealogy, though I do know there are not many Buhrig's. My family, including myself as a kid, came from Europe in the late 70's.

Marc
:germany:

gcarter
05-30-2008, 12:18 PM
I met Mr Buhrig at the Meadowbrook Concours D'elegance in August of '86. Heck of a nice guy. Must have been in his late 80's. I think he died during '87-'89.....