PDA

View Full Version : Help with SBC cooling system!

smbarcelow
08-18-2007, 06:58 PM
I just bought a Sweet 16 with a Chevy 350 mated to a Volvo 270. Upon launching her for the first time, I filled the bilge with a couple hundred gallons of water. (Rooky mistake: didn't lift the hood. I was too excited about the maiden voyage.) It was leaking at the base of the hose manifold, due in part to RTV that never cured and blew out. I bought some gasket material with the thought that it would be an easy repair but I was confused about where in the assembly I found the thermostat to be (see attached pic). The hose manifold is made up of two pieces. The intake is milled with a relief for the thermostat (as expected). But the thermostat was located between the upper and lower hose manifold pieces. Neither of the surfaces are milled with relief for the thermostat. As a result, the gasket material must be at least as thick as the thermostat flange. Is this the correct location for it? Can anybody point me to a diagram showing the assembly? Thanks!

Shaun

mrfixxall
08-19-2007, 12:50 AM
I just bought a Sweet 16 with a Chevy 350 mated to a Volvo 270. Upon launching her for the first time, I filled the bilge with a couple hundred gallons of water. (Rooky mistake: didn't lift the hood. I was too excited about the maiden voyage.) It was leaking at the base of the hose manifold, due in part to RTV that never cured and blew out. I bought some gasket material with the thought that it would be an easy repair but I was confused about where in the assembly I found the thermostat to be (see attached pic). The hose manifold is made up of two pieces. The intake is milled with a relief for the thermostat (as expected). But the thermostat was located between the upper and lower hose manifold pieces. Neither of the surfaces are milled with relief for the thermostat. As a result, the gasket material must be at least as thick as the thermostat flange. Is this the correct location for it? Can anybody point me to a diagram showing the assembly? Thanks!
Shaun

yes thats the correct spot..

smbarcelow
08-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the reply. We had figured it was the correct location because, if mounted lower, the exhaust logs wouldn't get cooling water until the thermostat opened. Do you have any idea why the parts aren't milled with relief for positioning of the thermostat and tight mating of the surfaces? Am I missing a spacer?

Sam
08-20-2007, 04:17 PM
You should have a gasket there not RTV.

mrfixxall
08-20-2007, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the reply. We had figured it was the correct location because, if mounted lower, the exhaust logs wouldn't get cooling water until the thermostat opened. Do you have any idea why the parts aren't milled with relief for positioning of the thermostat and tight mating of the surfaces? Am I missing a spacer?

Its been a whyle since ive had one apart,, someone can correct me but if i remember correctly the t-statfits into the upper part of the lower housing and is held in by a o ring and or a cork gasget followed by a gasget between the upper housing and lower housing..

smbarcelow
08-20-2007, 06:53 PM
Mine has gaskets now, but it was assembled with RTV when I got it.

What you've discribed matches the gasket kit I found, but there's no way I could have installed the o-ring and cork gasket. I had to modify the metal reinforced gasket so that it captured the thermostat.