PDA

View Full Version : Swim Platform

rtgogo
08-18-2007, 03:12 PM
What do you think about this?

Tony
08-18-2007, 06:57 PM
Boy, this ought to open up a big can of worms!

In my humble opinion I think it is an architectural eyesore and just plain butt-ugly. With that being said, however, it would be totally functional for debarking and, more importantly, re-entering the boat.

Pick your poison, and pass the popcorn!

Carl C
08-18-2007, 07:09 PM
I don't care for the look and you still have to crawl over the engine hatch. If the owner wanted it though then I guess it's OK.

rtgogo
08-18-2007, 07:10 PM
Thought this may be a stick of dynamite, but couldn't resist.

No opinions make for a dull board.....

Carl C
08-18-2007, 07:15 PM
Thought this may be a stick of dynamite, but couldn't resist.
No opinions make for a dull board.....This has come up before and some people like 'em and others hate 'em but it's OK to modify your own boat if you want to. That's a beautiful boat BTW.

lee
08-18-2007, 08:08 PM
i would love 1 for my 18c

Tony
08-18-2007, 08:10 PM
An older 22' had two independant wooden platforms abeam of the outdrive. I'm still no fan of the look but they would sure be efficient.
A guy from GA and I once discussed making some, I in charge of the teak and he the powder-coated tubing.
Nothing came of it, and I guess I am kind of glad.

Carl, I can see why you're a fan of mods...yours is certainly "one-of-a-kind".

Sweet little 16
08-18-2007, 09:31 PM
this is the only swim platform that can go on a classic it is a one of a kind custom made notice not two platforms or indent for the drive
it is a swim PLATFORM not swim platformS

zelatore
08-18-2007, 09:43 PM
Well, I wouldn't put it on my boat but as these things go that one looks pretty good. I can certainly see the usefullness of it if you were swiming or boarding from the stern.

It's not like I'd turn the boat away if somebody wanted to leave it in my driveway or something. :wink:

BTW - Last monday I saw a boat on a trailer headed south on I5 s. of Sacramento. It was fully covered, but it sure as hell looked like a 22C. Then my girlfriend pointed out it had a swim platform, so it couldn't have been a Donzi.

Hmmmmm....

Tony
08-18-2007, 10:04 PM
this is the only swim platform that can go on a classic it is a one of a kind custom made notice not two platforms or indent for the drive
it is a swim PLATFORM not swim platformS

Yes, that is indeed a single platform. Does it have a ladder that somehow extends down from it? Otherwise, it seems like it is not substantially lower than the hatch, and therefore negates the gain.

Sweet little 16
08-19-2007, 05:25 AM
no ladder needed the arch to the platform and the lack of freeboard on an 18 put the corners on the water when stopped

Carl C
08-19-2007, 06:14 PM
Carl, I can see why you're a fan of mods...yours is certainly "one-of-a-kind". Certainly you don't mean this.....(pics). A Classic with usable space under the bow. Oh my God!:eek!: I don't like the swim platforms though. (note ladder, which is a pita)

yeller
08-19-2007, 06:50 PM
As far as swim platforms for Classics goes, that's the nicest one I've seen. I love the functionality of them and I'd like to put one on my boat, but when it comes down to it, I just don't care for the looks of them. I actually don't like them on any boat.

Didn't have time this Spring/Summer, but I am going to Carlize my boat this winter. :yes:

Schaf
08-19-2007, 07:10 PM
That is the nicest one I have seen. Is that your boat?

gcarter
08-19-2007, 07:14 PM
Certainly you don't mean this.....(pics). A Classic with usable space under the bow. Oh my God!:eek!: I don't like the swim platforms though. (note ladder, which is a pita)
Carl, could you post a picture of the center of the floor (foot rest) where the ski locker was????

rtgogo
08-19-2007, 07:33 PM
It's not my boat, but I talked with the owner and the swim platform was custom made at a shop named "Tops and Towers" in Seabrook, Texas. Said they should have the specs used to build it.

Carl C
08-19-2007, 08:45 PM
Carl, could you post a picture of the center of the floor (foot rest) where the ski locker was???? The whole story is here: http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44706 George, look at post #86 for those pics. My floorboard is 8" high.

BUIZILLA
08-19-2007, 08:48 PM
personally, Carl, I think what you did was brilliant :yes:

Schaf
08-19-2007, 10:09 PM
Carl what type of ladder do you use? Where do you put it. If you have a better photo of it please send it to me. Thanks.....

Carl C
08-20-2007, 07:04 AM
Carl what type of ladder do you use? Where do you put it. If you have a better photo of it please send it to me. Thanks.....:rlol:This comes up here all the time! Some climb up the outdrive and over the enging hatch, some use rope ladders, others use swim platforms. Fact is nearly everyone swims off their boat sometimes and you need a way to get back in! This ladder was my solution. It's not perfect by any means but it does work. You need to buy a cheap plastic and aluminum ladder and modify it. You must carefully spread the bars open more and bend the snubbers to line up. Before I cut out my stupid little storage box I had to put it up and over the sb side of it. Now that's not a problem! BTW there is a collapsable version of this ladder available and that is what I'd use; In fact I might make a new one. Also, I can't say for sure if it will clear the windshield. You might be able to find one real cheap now at a K-mart, meijer etc. since they are closing out their boat stuff for the season. http://www.donzi.net/forums/showpost.php?p=399640&postcount=10 and http://www.donzi.net/forums/showpost.php?p=345686&postcount=16

Schaf
08-21-2007, 06:41 PM
I tried doing exactly what you did but when i bent the bars open enough for the hooks to be wide enough the ladder then wouldnt grab. I opened them to much but I had to to even have a chance..