PDA

View Full Version : Whatcha Think

rtgogo
08-18-2007, 10:31 AM
I'm lookin for a Classic. Any thoughts on this one? Please let me know if you see any issues with the boat. Story is that it was bought new and sold to a friend a few years later. A friend is selling the boat for the second owner.

Ebay item # 160146098193

Thanks!

BUIZILLA
08-18-2007, 10:57 AM
it's about 5 minutes from me.... i've seen it out before...

rtgogo
08-18-2007, 11:15 AM
AND......What do you think? Was it clean...abused....?
If I can negotiate a deal will you run down the street and take a look at it for me?
I have concerns on the year model with the 496 after reading replies. I have no idea what a "stringer" is,but sounds like they have a problem on these models?? My first boat...need it to run right....
thanks...

Donziweasel
08-18-2007, 11:54 AM
The boat has the 496 mag, not the 496 HO mag. Difference is 375 horse vs. 425 horse. The few stringer problems seemd to be with the large horse engines- 502's and 496 HO Mags. In any event, the few boats that had stringer problems were fixed very satisfactory by Donzi, but I did not here of any 375 horse 496's having that problem.

Boat looks clean. I trust Buiz's opinion on the boat, maybe he can look at it for ya. One thing, the 73 mph with the 375 496 is probably a little high and what the boat speedo reads. GPS would probably be lower. Boat speedos almost all seem to be 2-6 mph faster than reality. Welcome to the madness!

rtgogo
08-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Wow...50 horse difference...I didn't catch that...thanks!

375 still sounds good to someone who's green, but sure I'd want more as with everything else.....good to know the stringer issue is isolated to the larger...I guesss...

I need to get the feel of the boat so the lower power sounds like a good thing to start with...BUT will it limit my upgrade options down the road?

What's the fundemental difference in the high output and regular mag engine?

THANKS!

How about the other two boats I'm looking at, both on the boattrader site?

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/9/89731159.htm

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/8/3/89509783.htm

Any thoughts?

zelatore
08-18-2007, 08:07 PM
I'm sensing a trend here.....you've got a thing for blue, huh?

FWIW, I'd say the '01 is a bit high. Earlier this year I bought my '01 with a 502 Mag and a new trailer from Jackson and had it delivered to the west coast for less than that. While my boat isn't perfect, it does have most of the popular options (silent choice, dual batteries, cockpit cover, carpets, GPS, etc) and it was in pretty good shape with a little over 100 hrs.

Take it for what you will. I know I looked all over the country to find a boat. Now it seems like there are 3 times as many options. My bad I guess for looking in the winter/spring.

handfulz28
08-19-2007, 11:41 AM
You're in Bham, does Nelems still sell Donzis? Maybe he knows somebody looking to sell one? I'd bug him to ask around; you probably couldn't be happier if he can help you out.
I'll share my thoughts with the disclosure that I'm no Donzi expert, just somebody else that's been trolling the board and looking at these things. I'm also looking at blue boats, but want older, so I won't bid against you :D
That '02 on ebay seems fairly priced, with the obvious caveats of seeing it in person, having someone that knows the details look at it, options, etc. Pretty much any power mods to the 496 are going to come from Raylar, and I think most of what they sell will put you in the same power range regardless of whether you start with a MAG or MAG HO. Don't take it as gospel, but I "think" the only diff between the 375hp and 425hp is a camshaft and ECU programming.
With that being said, if you have long term aspirations of adding more power, you want to know exactly what the "stringer issue" is with these boats, and be prepared to do that modification. Since it started as a 375hp boat, don't expect the factory to be accomodating. I'd love to have an excuse to see that boat in person, and might anyways, but I won't be able to give you the educated feedback that Buiz or MP will be able to provide.
I agree the '01 in MA has a high asking price; that 330hp engine is the least desirable. But it's just an asking price.
The Oregon boat looks like it's being sold by a guy that has listed at least two other 22 Classics recently. He doesn't sway much from his asking price, and that price isn't really a deal, especially if you have to bring it from OR.

rtgogo
08-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the info. I started by calling Nelems and he directed me to Pier57. Said he got out of the Donzi biz....

gcarter
08-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Can I make another suggestion????
Take your time......there's a lot to learn and many of the things you'll learn will have a definate impact on whether you'll like the boat you end up with.
Besides Sarasota, there's another event at Lake Eufala on the Labor Day weekend.
Do yourself a favor.....look at a bunch of boats, take some rides, ask all the questions you can think of.
It's really worth the wait.