PDA

View Full Version : 01,02,04 Classic Comparisons

rtgogo
08-16-2007, 09:16 PM
Still huntin for my boat and need some advice on year models. Wondering if there was a "bad" year for the classic 22? (No offense intended, just want to know if they made a lot of changes any particular year)

In comparing a 2001 model to and 2002 is the biggest difference the 454 vs the 496? Or did the 01 model have the 496 also? Any other big differences? Was 2002 the first year with the factory 496? Is there much difference in the feel of the 454 to a 496?

How about the year models above versus a 2004? Not an anniversary edition, but.....only difference I see are the gauges and windshield..Am I missing something?

I appreciate any guidance you can provide helping me compare my options.
Hope to go through initiation soon!

Pismo
08-17-2007, 07:41 AM
The '01 still offered the 502 Magnum as well. The 496s came in late '01. Find a 502 Bravo setup. I love mine.

roadtrip se
08-17-2007, 08:27 AM
Buy as much motor as you can find and afford. I had the 502 and went to a 500, never enough!

Another thing to consider is how the boats run. I love the newer boats, especially the special edition rides. What I have witnessed from running at rallies though is that the 2002 and up 22 Classics seem to take a lot more tab to control. Mine takes no tab input at all.

If possible, I would drive it and make sure you have someone who has experience with the Classics drive it too, before buying so you have a good picture of what you are getting into from a handling perspective.

Lenny
08-17-2007, 08:47 AM
There is also the "stringer" issue with the 496's that I believe has since been corrected on new models. If you do find a 496 model (used) the mod will either have to be made or already has been. '01's and prior did not have this issue. And I am sure '07's and newer do not either.

handfulz28
08-17-2007, 09:23 AM
What's the stringer issue? I'll search of course, but if someone can help with a link to a thread, or brief description. There was an '02 496 that seemed pretty cheap on Ebay...

roadtrip se
08-17-2007, 11:48 AM
seem to require more tab input than others to keep the nose from porpising, as I said. This weekend, I saw examples of both at the MADCOW rally. Some required some tab, some not so much.

In my opinion, the same pragmatic view applies to the "stringer issue".
Some 2002+ boats, but certainly not all, have had cracks appear at the stringer connection in the bilge, the stringer tab connection further down in the bilge parallel to the stringers, and on the outside rear running strakes due to possible voids under the stringers. Again, this is not a 100%, across the board issue, with these years of boats. A lot of it also has to do with how hard a life the boat has had.

Once more, in my opinion, the best way to uncover a lot of potential issues with used Classics is to enlist the experience and help of the people right here. When you find a target boat, have someone here inspect it for you or with you, get a survey, and drive it with someone who has experience with these things. Go in eyes wide open as each boat will be different. I would focus on getting the right boat at a fair price and not worry so much about just chasing the best deal.

undertaker
08-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Well said.....:yes::yes::yes::yes:

rtgogo
08-17-2007, 08:16 PM
Go figure..the boats I'm considering are in Maine, Washington State and Miami...I'm in Alabama so travel is in the cards for me. Big draw back is I've never ridden nor driven a classic. Hell I've only driven a Cobalt and that's cuz a friend wants me to drag him around the lake with his kids in tow....I know what I want and I'm use to finding things in remote places..just not experieinced in the Donzi Classic to know what's up with the particular specimin I find. Killin me... summers runnin out....but guess theres always next year if i don't find the right one...(that's for all you guys sending me PM's to sell you boats...:wink: wow..more boats on the block than I thought..)

Great contribution by all and REALLY appreciate your help!! Nice to know I have a group to rely on for advise...reminds me of my G-wagon forum...lets see how many of you know what I'm referring too.....

Thanks...look forward to a poker run and some travels in my ride.....

gcarter
08-17-2007, 08:52 PM
A suggestion......go to the "Homecoming" in Sarasota. It's a fun weekend and you'll be able to experience a bunch of boats. All ya gotta do is ask.
Look for its own thread under events.

chappy
08-17-2007, 08:54 PM
Nice to know I have a group to rely on for advise...reminds me of my G-wagon forum...lets see how many of you know what I'm referring too....

Mercedes?

gcarter
08-17-2007, 09:09 PM
G-wagons are awesome.

rtgogo
08-17-2007, 09:44 PM
Sarasota sounds great!!! even had a few invitations to test the boats on Lanier, I have a second lil one on the way in a month and not a lot of rope to work with.....

Yes,Merc.....had to move on to a CL55, but still haunt the site becuase of all the knowledge....same here...hope to have my reason for intruding soon......

Carl C
08-17-2007, 09:44 PM
I'm really happy with my '05 and it's not for sale. It has had the factory hull strenthening mod. The 502s have some good points but the 496 has 10 more hp stock. I admit, I googled g-wagon. They are 4x4 Mercedes?

rtgogo
08-18-2007, 12:27 AM
Yep 4x4. Looks (and rides) like a bank vault on wheels...
Looking forward to tradin my days in the mud for some enjoyment in the water...

Lenny
08-18-2007, 01:37 AM
You're going to Sarasota somehow... PERIOD. I have never been but have been to many other events. And I will be here at this event for the first time shortly...

You will NOT find anything, amongst these people, PERIOD, that leaves you wondering. This is the best group of people, (other than my Mom and Gal,) :rolleyes: that I have EVER had the pleasure of knowing, doing business with, and hanging out. And all "sight unseen" and that thought has held true now for 7+ years...

Welcome aboard :D , thanks for joining,... (see you in Sota for a couple or so :D )

rtgogo
08-18-2007, 08:52 AM
Gotta admit.....you made me look.....Sounds great!! but new addition to the family will be gettin all the attention next month.....look forward to catchin the next round....

rtgogo
08-18-2007, 08:59 AM
Back to my original question.....
If I understand, sounds like the 2002+ with a 496 are a hit or miss and the 2001 with 454 is the safer purchase? My concern is that the boat has less than 30 hours and has been sitting in a barn for years. Owner had the marina check it out where they conditioned gas, changed oil and replaced a dried out exhaust gasket. The gelcoat (see I'm gettin the lingo) will need some attention, but just a little sketchy on buyin a boat that's not been used. Maybe I have a double standard cuz what I really set out to find was a low hour boat that some guy had babied the way I do my cars and Harley....Just lookin to add to my stock of toys, but don't need to buy a problem. Anyone in Maine out there that will check out this boat for me?

Pismo
09-22-2007, 12:04 PM
I bought a 1996 22 classic with a 502 in 2004 with only 35 hours on it. No big problems so far. Mine was run regularly tho, just not for long.

blueliner
09-22-2007, 05:44 PM
Back to my original question.....
If I understand, sounds like the 2002+ with a 496 are a hit or miss and the 2001 with 454 is the safer purchase? My concern is that the boat has less than 30 hours and has been sitting in a barn for years. Owner had the marina check it out where they conditioned gas, changed oil and replaced a dried out exhaust gasket. The gelcoat (see I'm gettin the lingo) will need some attention, but just a little sketchy on buyin a boat that's not been used. Maybe I have a double standard cuz what I really set out to find was a low hour boat that some guy had babied the way I do my cars and Harley....Just lookin to add to my stock of toys, but don't need to buy a problem. Anyone in Maine out there that will check out this boat for me?
i live in vancouver, bc. close to washington... depending on where in washington. if that helps.

zimm17
09-22-2007, 10:18 PM
Year doesn't matter. Mine's a 1988 but was restored in '03. Gelcoat is hairline cracked throughout, but the hulls last forever- heck they are "classics". The 60's hulls are still out on the water.

Go for the one in the best condition and with the best rigging you can find.

rtgogo
09-24-2007, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the offer to visit the boat in Washington. The guy must not want to sell it...I left three messages over the course of two weeks and never got a return call so I moved on....

Change of course since the boss has decided we will be buying a ZX if a Donzi has to be the boat...so I guess a ZX it is.....