PDA

View Full Version : Windshield rubber....

gcarter
08-16-2007, 03:54 PM
Does anyone have a sure fire way to get the windshield rubber to release to remove it from the frame????????

Trueser
08-16-2007, 07:26 PM
George,
If you have the same window as me good luck. I did it twice so far and hopefully never again.

Best bet is to take the widow off in three pieces.

Good Luck.

gcarter
08-16-2007, 07:32 PM
I'm stumped for the moment Mike!!!!!!
I really need to change all three pieces. The two side pieces could pass, but the center is toast. About 20 years old, the rubber is original. Port side piece still has the "Berenzoni-Made in Italy" sticker still on it.
I don't want to destroy anything, just get the plastic out of the rubber. BTW, I do have the three pieces apart.
Mike, do you still have your source for replacement rubber?

98shovel
08-16-2007, 10:16 PM
try soap worked for me
g i have xtra rubber had it made down in cali made enough to do 3 boats its not identical but very close and once installed cant tell the diff call if u need some 253.376.0133

MOP
08-17-2007, 09:51 AM
George try the soapy water thing I told you about, you may need to immerse it to get it soft enough. You can whack a box together and line it with plastic, check your local glass guy he should have a rubber catalog.

Phil

gcarter
08-17-2007, 02:13 PM
Well, I did it!!! Finally!
Getting the rubber lubricated was no problem, but it still didn't want to come out.
Let me back up. This is a boat built in august of '87. It had one of the original "Italian" windshields. This windshield was, I imagine, the prototype of the SST framed 'shield Donzi used for the next 15 years or so.
Well, Berenzoni didn't use a channel type rubber inside the SST frame rail, instead, they used two beaded rubber pieces...one on each side of the plastic. Then they bedded the plastic into the SST frame rail w/some sort of bedding compound that over the years had turned into a solid.
Guys...this wasn't fun, but I did it. It's all apart.
Now I'll set it aside for a few months till I get back to it.

98shovel
08-17-2007, 02:40 PM
g mine was bedded the same way now i wonder if mine is the brerenzoni as yours can u take a pic of it from a end profile
thanx

gcarter
08-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Here's a picture of the windshield top rail. Also another picture of the windshield top where it had been drilled and bedding compound had been used as an anchor to keep it in place innside the rail.
lastly, the rest of the bedding compound on the floor.

Trueser
09-08-2007, 09:31 AM
http://www.aluminum2000.com/wprts.html

George I still need to ship you a piece.