PDA

View Full Version : edelbrock performer carb help

mikev
08-16-2007, 11:59 AM
Ok guys I rebuilt the thing and now it surges at High rpms like its starving for fuel or its sloshing around it the float bowl. I raised the float height this helped some replaced the fuel pump and filter to make sure its getting plenty of flow. I have had this stupid thing apart several times trying to figure out what i did wrong or what is wrong and can find anything. I even read the directions :eek!: I have rebuilt plenty of hollys and quadrajets so not like I never have rebuilt a carb before just never had this happen. any ideas befor it toss the thing in the trash and look for a used quadrajet off of a 4.3 to replace it.

MOP
08-16-2007, 12:39 PM
Wait for Buizilla to chime in! I must admit I like your alternative!

mrfixxall
08-16-2007, 01:00 PM
Ok guys I rebuilt the thing and now it surges at High rpms like its starving for fuel or its sloshing around it the float bowl. I raised the float height this helped some replaced the fuel pump and filter to make sure its getting plenty of flow. I have had this stupid thing apart several times trying to figure out what i did wrong or what is wrong and can find anything. I even read the directions :eek!: I have rebuilt plenty of hollys and quadrajets so not like I never have rebuilt a carb before just never had this happen. any ideas befor it toss the thing in the trash and look for a used quadrajet off of a 4.3 to replace it.

Did you have the needle and seats out? REASON FOR ASKING,i dont know it they put the little screens behind the seats like merc does in the webber/carter carbs....anyways the screens plug up and starve the engine of fuel..if you havnt unscrew the seats and see if their in their and clean them..

VetteLT193
08-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Rebuilding a carb is like getting a face lift.

Better than it was before, but not as good as it once was:propeller:

Needless to say, I'd try a new one

mikev
08-16-2007, 02:51 PM
I will check for screens didnt see them in there but then again didnt look that hard. Worst part is it was running pretty good before I did the rebuild I should have followed the old adage "if it aint broke dont fix it" :bonk:

Donziweasel
08-16-2007, 03:37 PM
Vacuum or mech secondaries? Anything else done to the engine?

mikev
08-16-2007, 04:05 PM
vacum secondaries nothing else done.

Donziweasel
08-16-2007, 04:25 PM
When you are cruising and throw down the hammer, what does it do? Bog and sputter?

Reason I am asking is that I had a Edel 600cfm that wasn't running right. Turned out to be a vacuum leak in the manifold.

Couple of things to possibly check- The bolts that hold the top on strip very easily if overtightened, perhaps one is stripped or loose. Check the gasket that fits under the top. Had a small tear in mine and it ran like s&^t on the mid and upper end. Edels don't have the screens, at least mine didn't. Also check mounting bolt to manifold and gasket. Did you use a new gasket for mounting on the manifold? Edel recommends you replace everytime the carb comes off, but I don't think that necessary. Check for vacuum leaks, carb cleaner lightly sprayed around all the seals is an easy way to check. Might want to check manifold vacuum as well. Edels don't like it under 12 psi, and more when running. The vacuum secondaries aren't very happy at all with low manifold vacuum. Could you have possibly replaced the sec spring with a stronger one during your rebuild? Another edel problem is that too strong a spring will affect vacuum secondaries.

mikev
08-17-2007, 11:02 AM
when i hammer it the boat will take off for about 20-30 seconds great then start the surging if i back out of it it runs fine then when i hit it again it does the same thing. I did check for vacuum leaks and couldnt find any. I bought another rebuild kit and am going through the thing again this weeked. will let you all know what i find.

BUIZILLA
08-17-2007, 11:20 AM
it's emptying the float bowl....

lee
08-17-2007, 12:04 PM
Ok guys I rebuilt the thing and now it surges at High rpms like its starving for fuel or its sloshing around it the float bowl. I raised the float height this helped some replaced the fuel pump and filter to make sure its getting plenty of flow. I have had this stupid thing apart several times trying to figure out what i did wrong or what is wrong and can find anything. I even read the directions :eek!: I have rebuilt plenty of hollys and quadrajets so not like I never have rebuilt a carb before just never had this happen. any ideas befor it toss the thing in the trash and look for a used quadrajet off of a 4.3 to replace it. have a like new q-jet 4 barrel i will sell for $150 shipped to you and i will donate $25 to the site came off my 350

mrfixxall
08-17-2007, 01:47 PM
as stated:wink: remove the top of the carb,,dont know if it the same as merc but,,remove the floats and needles,unscrew the seats and the screens are on the threaded side of the seats..they get plugged with crap and keep the fuel from filling the float bowls..

mikev
08-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Got it fixed and it runs great, thanks for all the advice. there were the little screens in the float needles mrfixitall was talking about they werent to dirty but i pulled them out and tossed them. the kit can with a screen that goes in the fuel intlet instead so i can clean that without having to take the carb apart. lessons learned.

1. If it aint broke dont fix it.
2. Dont rebuild carb just because i might need it.
3 Buy the rebuild kit not just a gasket kit and try to save 20 bucks.
4. be thankful you have buddies online that can help you.

thanks alot guys.

tom freeman
08-23-2007, 06:11 PM
have a like new q-jet 4 barrel i will sell for $150 shipped to you and i will donate $25 to the site came off my 350

would that be a match for a 350 chevy with a volvo set up

mikev
08-24-2007, 11:07 AM
would that be a match for a 350 chevy with a volvo set up
should be same carb for both standard GM setup.