PDA

View Full Version : Slowly coming apart....

gcarter
08-15-2007, 03:14 PM
That's what's happening to the 22 Testarossa (ya know the Italians spell this w/two words...Testa Rossa), it's coming apart!
Here's a few pixs of the process....
On the dollies...
A couple of the Hynautic Power Plane mounting plates. It's a shame these are no longer available. Everything in the design is integrated...note there's no external hoses, even the indicator cables and fair leads/stuffing boxes are integrated in the mounting plates.
A few weeks ago there was a thread of what not to use on the gimbal housing O-ring seal. The person that installed this gymbal didn't read it...LOL
It was a pain to get off.:mad:

rustnrot
08-15-2007, 03:32 PM
George, looking good!

1. Are you doing the resto at your business?
2. Will you rebuild/reuse the hynautic tabs?
3. Briefly, what are you plans for this boat, paint or gel, engine? (or do we "just stay tuned and find out")?

pmreed
08-15-2007, 04:01 PM
George is nobody's fool; when he moved his business to a new location, he included a "Donzi" bay:).

Phil

gcarter
08-15-2007, 04:06 PM
George is nobody's fool; when he moved his business to a new location, he included a "Donzi" bay:).
Phil
Yep, Phil is right!!!
I have a space of about 500 square ft that should have a sign outside that says "Donzis Only". LOL. Actually the trailer is chained up outside.

gcarter
08-15-2007, 04:22 PM
George, looking good!
1. Are you doing the resto at your business?
2. Will you rebuild/reuse the hynautic tabs?
3. Briefly, what are you plans for this boat, paint or gel, engine? (or do we "just stay tuned and find out")?

Thanks for asking Tom.
1) Yes. You couldn't ask for a better arrangement. When I have a few minutes, I slip out (35' from my office) and work on it a bit. My wife says I have the "Dream Job".
2) Absolutely! These things are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! You couldn't ask for a better design!
3) This boat is kind of a mystery. It only has a little over 200 hours, and a jillion dollars spent on it, but it seems to have been totally ignored the last several years. I understand red gel is tough to maintain, but someone just gave up. They painted a very poor grade of red paint from the waterline up w/o even bothering to prep the surface at all. The oxidation on the bottom (the only unpainted area) is so bad in places it looks white w/red flecks in it.
I'm still formulating my plans, but they'll be something like this.....once the deck is off and EVERYTHING is stripped out, I'll strip the paint and analize the gel. I'll probably re-gel the whole boat to equalize the color. Then I'm thinking of clear coating the deck.

Cuda
08-15-2007, 08:13 PM
George, has anyone else made an offer on it when you're done yet? :)

You and I must have the same tastes in boats. A Testarrosa is high on my Donzi list.:cool:

gcarter
08-20-2007, 12:21 PM
Joe, Russ posted he wanted whatever I did next.....no one else has.
Of course I won't hold Russ hostage to it!!:eek!::wink::)

gcarter
08-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Here's a picture of the 19 year old instrument panel.......and really it's in pretty good shape for the materials originally used, etc.
But today it's really a piece of crap and I wouldn't want to have anything to do with it.
I suppose the gauges might be good, but nothing else.
Note that the circuit breakers seem to have failed years ago and are no longer even wired. Those old square breakers are dangerous and not even weather resistant. All the connections use spade terminals and there are as many as four connections on each terminal. Everything is badly corroded and I would assume it would be a great place for a fire to start.
Folks, if you have one, take a look at it. I know they're not all as bad as this one, but consider doing something about them if they are..

Tim Morris
08-20-2007, 12:33 PM
Joe, Russ posted he wanted whatever I did next.....no one else has.
Of course I won't hold Russ hostage to it!!:eek!::wink::)

No, no, no! Close your eyes & ears George.
George has to build it for George. Only then
will we be positive that it's perfect.

Stay on it George, we're keen to see the progress.

98shovel
08-20-2007, 04:17 PM
g thanx for the pics of the windshield mine was the same stuff so it must also be itailian ,my water jet might still have the program for an alum panel that i made for mine it just has some things relocated ill have my girl take some pics wene we get back to the , boat looks like u have a sister to mine i have all the gauges and old dash stuff if u need any parts let me know will post some pics later

gcarter
08-22-2007, 02:18 PM
Here are my plans for the exhaust for the 454. I just got the used Gil magnum Choice risers in.
The color will be different......just wait and see what.

MOP
08-23-2007, 09:27 AM
I don't know George looks like you are going around the bend with the sound! Q&Q plus mufflers!!! Lanie will be so happy and chatty!!!

Phil